Wifi Connection Issues

Comments

• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,128
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    AndyPix wrote: »
    That could still be the case here, but it still doesn't make it an ISP issue .. 5G just relates to which frequency the router is broadcasting its wifi signal on.

What I meant was that if the phones can connect ok then you know that the kit is working, so it isn't an ISP issue.
    If it were me personally here then id probly update the network card/s drivers first, then reset the IP stack and see if that gets it

Thanks both

I’m really struggling to read (& type) on iPhone (SE)

I’ll attach laptop by Ethernet tomorrow & work through your suggestions.

Again, thanks for your help so far
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    badger09 wrote: »
    Thanks Andy I have bookmarked this suggestion for future ref.

Having lost patience, I disconnected laptop from Ethernet & switched it off, also switched off router again.

After about 10 mins I switched router back on, followed by laptop. Initially laptop said it was unable to connect to router, but then proceeded to do so!

I scanned for malware a couple of weeks ago but will run another scan, just in case.

Re the mobile, I tried that this morning and laptop wouldn't connect to phone as hotspot.

Throughout today, 2 iphones & ipad have been connecting to wifi ok (obviously not while router off!) but seem to randomly switch between the 5G & 2.4(?). I don't know whether that is significant or not.

I'm reluctant to disturb things now its working, or would you recommend I 'reset the tcpip stack' whatever that means:o

Really appreciate folks trying to help.

It is as I stated, the Router. Your laptop cannot connect via the 5GHz frequency. So you'll need to change the settings on your Router to 2.4GHz only.

The Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230 is a single band adapter and works on the 2.4GHz band ONLY.

Nothing to do with Windows 10 at all.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    It is as I stated, the Router. .

According to the OP it worked before the update - and if the router is dual band then there is no reason the laptop shouldn't connect
  • badger09
    Forumite
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    It is as I stated, the Router. Your laptop cannot connect via the 5GHz frequency. So you'll need to change the settings on your Router to 2.4GHz only.

The Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230 is a single band adapter and works on the 2.4GHz band ONLY.

Nothing to do with Windows 10 at all.
    According to the OP it worked before the update - and if the router is dual band then there is no reason the laptop shouldn't connect

Thank you both

I haven’t started on it yet, but to add to the puzzle:

1) The laptop still shows the (non 5G) Wi-Fi network as available & was connecting automatically until a few days ago. Now it won’t connect

2) my husbands old iPhone 4s was connecting but now, only the (non 5G) network is showing, but even with correct password, it won’t connect
    My SE & his iPad both connect to the 5G

3) Sky box has disconnected from Wi-Fi

Does this narrow the problem down to some change in the router affecting the 2.4Gh?
  • AndyPix
    Forumite
    Just to complete the picture here . How far away is the laptop from the router ?

Anyway, theres no point in talking about it much more until you have at least updated the drivers on your laptop as that is the most obvious possible issue
  • badger09
    Forumite
    Just to complete the picture here . How far away is the laptop from the router ?

Anyway, theres no point in talking about it much more until you have at least updated the drivers on your laptop as that is the most obvious possible issue

About 2 meters away in the same small room.

I’ll be back when I’ve updated the drivers.
  • badger09
    Forumite
    OK

I downloaded DELL Support Assist. Scanned system & only offered one update - Intel Graphics 4000, which I've done. Said everything else up to date & working properly.

I keep coming back to the fact that until a couple of days ago, laptop, husband's old iphone & Sky box were all connecting to wifi ok - presumably on 2.4Gh. Now although they all detect that network, none of them will connect.

Forgive me, I'm not techie at all but not entirely clueless:o - doesn't this point to a router issue?
    Fibre BB coming in ok, ethernet ok, wifi ok on 5Gh devices but not others.

Next step?
  • AndyPix
    Forumite
    Is it a set time that they will connect for and then disconnect ?
    Is there any pattern to it ?

ie it will stay connected for x minutes every time ?

Or is it just random ?

If it is other devices too then it does point to an issue with the router - but your opening comment that this has only been happening since a windows update muddy the waters
  • AndyPix
    Forumite
    Also, rather than using support assist, actually go to device manager, RIGHT click on the wifi adapter and choose 'update driver' and let it search for one on internet.

If it comes back and says the best driver is already installed then fair enough - but please try that first.

(make sure you have a reliable internet connection before you do this (ethernet) , or it will just tell you the best one is installed anyway)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure