MSE Poll: When did you last use your bank branch?

Comments

• aj23 wrote: »
    But it's not though. People are resisting the changes being made to banking. Digital only banking is not the future. It doesn't work. Look at OTP's and the problems that has bought people because they can't get decent mobile coverage and thus can't receive yet alone enter the codes.

People are going back to using cash (more people are withdrawing cash now more than ever), cheques, not using Contactless, coming off of online banking because of security and data flaws and breaches. As with everything, new technologies wear off. Look at the droves deleting Facebook. Facebook was the future 10 years ago. Now look at it.

I'm having this problem at the moment. Trying to pay a regular payee, but can't without OTP, and the last thing I want is mobile banking, even if there was a good signal.
  • I only ever really go to my bank these days when I have cash or cheques to pay into my account, so normally it's once a year around my birthday. That said, I did go to the bank this weekend, but again that's because I had cash to pay into my account from a focus group - before that it would have been about six months ago.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I've visited branches (several) four times over the past month: Paying in cash, doing an identity verification, correcting a phone number and obtaining bags of coin. I'd certainly miss not having branch access.
  • halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    mine isn't open when I'm not at work.
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    halogen wrote: »
    mine isn't open when I'm not at work.

Yeah pretty much all brand branches are closed on Saturday's in London. I guess that's where Metro Bank is picking up business because they are open until 8pm and open all day Saturday and Sunday. If people weren't using them, they wouldn't be open on weekends, which contradicts the the poll.
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I went to two banks last week, for the first time this year,
    I am trying to sign up to an online financial service and they require proof of identity - original not copies and not printed by myself. SO I went to the banks to get copies f statements.

Whilst I was there I did pay in a cheque. too.
  • The interesting question for infrequent visitors is WHY did you go to your branch?

For me, I chose "within the last year" option as I had to do a CHAPS payment. This could not be done online with the bank I am with.

What may be interesting for MSE to investigate is what services are "In-Branch Only" for the various banks.

Marcus
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The interesting question for infrequent visitors is WHY did you go to your branch?

For me, I chose "within the last year" option as I had to do a CHAPS payment. This could not be done online with the bank I am with.

What may be interesting for MSE to investigate is what services are "In-Branch Only" for the various banks.

Marcus

What bank is that? I'm surprised you had to go to the branch and it couldn't be done over the phone.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    aj23 wrote: »
    There's nothing old fashioned about raising cash at all. It's sensible and shows you are in charge of your finances.

No it doesn't. It shows that you like to operate your finances partly in cash. There are plenty of people who are, "in charge of [their] finances" who use very little cash.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    I'm having this problem at the moment. Trying to pay a regular payee, but can't without OTP, and the last thing I want is mobile banking, even if there was a good signal.

You don't need to use mobile banking for OTPs. They are sent as text messages.

Your issue about a signal, however, is a different matter. Have you considered switching to a different network?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure