Faulty PC (custom built) - retailer saying not their problem help!

2»

Comments

• AnnoyedNetflixUser
    AnnoyedNetflixUser Posts: 30 Forumite
    edited 11 October 2019 at 8:13AM
    Completely remove the NVIDIA driver with DDU ( Display Driver Uninstaller - https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html download links are at the bottom "Download Mirror EU - United Kingdom", ignore flashy download icons as these are adverts. Once you click on a mirror link, wait and the download should start automatically after a few seconds - again do not click any download buttons as they are adverts)

Run DDU, allow it to run as an administrator and click the big "Clean and Restart" button on the left. It will ask to reboot in safe mode, this is normal to safely remove the graphics driver. Reboot once the uninstaller has completed - it will again ask to do this and is normal.

Then download the NVIDIA drivers from their website https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk - on this form, ensure the Windows Driver type is standard, and the download type is the Game Ready Driver (GRD). You will have to fill out the product type, series and product and click search, then agree to the terms to get your download link.
  • Lip_Stick
    Lip_Stick Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Flo2108 wrote: »
    What’s the need in the first two paragraphs?

A. A £1,600 PC won’t be obsolete by any means in 2 years, or even 5 years.
    B. £1,600 isn’t ‘incredibly’ cheap for a modern gaming PC. You can build a PC that will run 95% of games at 1080p, 60fps for a grand.

You beat me to it. Well said.
    There's a storm coming, Mr Johnson. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
  • Flo2108
    Flo2108 Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post
    boo_star wrote: »
    Because it doesn't help anyone to say things like that and honestly makes people in shops roll their eyes. It's basically "what if a child had <insert nonsense here>?" Stick to the facts which are that the product appears to be broken.

A £1600 PC will be virtually obsolete in a couple of years. The fact that you can still play games on it is irrelevant. And yes, it is incredibly cheap for a modern gaming PC. A good graphics card is now getting close to half that.

But you're just another sockpuppet account anyway so what's the point?

No, why mentioned about the price of quality of the PC, when they’ve already bought it? It’s irrelevant.
    My second PC cost £950 to build in 2015 and can run more or less any game at 1080p.

Sock puppet, no I just don’t see the need in kicking people whilst their down already.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 October 2019 at 4:36PM
    My £650 gaming laptop (which had all the specs of a alienware worth nearly 3 times as much) isn't obsolete after 6 years. My cpu & gpu are still benchmarked higher than most new "gaming" rigs.

And generally, desktops are cheaper than laptops.

Once upon a time a top end rig might have been obsolete within 2 years, but that horse has long bolted.

What GPU does your laptop have ?

I've just looked and the top end Nvidia Laptop GPU was the 780M 6 years ago which scores 4027 on passmark.

An average gaming laptop will have an RTX 2060 which scores 10683 on passmark so almost twice as powerful. Even last years basic 1050 mobile graphics card scores more than the 780M at 4478.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Takmon wrote: »
    What GPU does your laptop have ?

I've just looked and the top end Nvidia Laptop GPU was the 780M 6 years ago which scores 4027 on passmark.

An average gaming laptop will have an RTX 2060 which scores 10683 on passmark so almost twice as powerful. Even last years basic 1050 mobile graphics card scores more than the 780M at 4478.

Geforce gtx 980m. Although granted I was off on the date, its been 5 years, not 6. But still, currently ranked 119th after 5 years.

I admit I got a very good deal (probably why the place I purchased it no longer build their own and instead sell MSI), which is why I made a point of stating it was worth a lot more than I paid for it.

But I maintain a £1600 desktop wont be "obsolete" or unable to run anything but indy games 2 years later given my £650 laptop isn't after 5.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • A point worth considering is that you could spend £5000 and have a pile of junk or spend £1000 and have a very balanced machine.

It’s all about selecting the right parts rather than just the most expensive ones.

I would suggest that to get a decent spec gaming PC nowadays, you are looking at at least £1000 rising to £1500 depending on required display resolution.
  • As OP cannot be bothered to come back, then ...

OP your problem is that your PSU you specced for the PC is not powerful enough to support your graphic driver. if you no SFA about building a PC, why did you spec one in the first place?

A simple rehash of the NVIDEO driver and a new PSU should sort you out!
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    As OP cannot be bothered to come back, then ...

OP your problem is that your PSU you specced for the PC is not powerful enough to support your graphic driver. if you no SFA about building a PC, why did you spec one in the first place?

A simple rehash of the NVIDEO driver and a new PSU should sort you out!

Surely the person building it should know that the PSU is underspecced and at least point this out to the purchaser?
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    boo_star wrote: »
    Surely the person building it should know that the PSU is underspecced and at least point this out to the purchaser?

One would hope so. But who knows what else the OP is running.
    Life in the slow lane
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport