Avoid or Reduce Bank Charges in Spain

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    adindas wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]Well we will need someone with everyday account to test it in Spain. It has not been any report, confirmation about no fee in foreign withdrawal with every day account, basic account. Most people experience here are about Sanatdner 123/ select. The answer to that question is probably a general answer which include Santander 123 not specificifically linked to everyday account.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]With Santander 123, Santander 123 lite people will normally need to pay £500, to get the perks such as cashback, foreign withdrawal. Similarly, to Santander 123 or Santander Select. With Everyday account there is no perks attached to it perks so no monthly deposit needed. Similar to basic account with cash card. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I remember I read somewhere that you will not get the perks such is foreign currencies withdrawal with basic account (cash card). Also, if you see the fee information on the sheet above, it is not spell out. Keep in mind there are two fees here. ATM Fee and currency conversion fee. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Foreign currency conversion fee for withdrawals[/FONT]; Percentage of total transaction value 2.75%

[FONT=&quot]Withdrawals from Santander cash machines in Spain [/FONT]using a debit card: Fee not charged. (it is not clear here whether only ATM fee or both ATM Fee and currency conversion fee).

[FONT=&quot]So unless someone has tried it with Everyday AC debit card, it is not clear yet.[/FONT]

It is completely clear and is confirmed in their latest email reply shown here today, by NoodleDoodleMan;
    Here is the reply I have just received from Santander reference the Everyday Current Account fees.;

Dear Mr X,
    Thank you for your email.
    We can confirm if you have a current account and pay in at least £500 per month, you can get free cash machine withdrawals in Spain (including the Spanish Islands) when you use any Santander branded cash machine. This means there will be no cash handling fee and no foreign transaction fee. Please note you must use a visa debit card as cash cards are not eligible for this benefit.

How is that not clear to you? There is really no need for your overly long conjecture about nothing.
  • biggmick1
    biggmick1 Posts: 21 Forumite
    With Everyday Account Even you do not pay ATM fee using Santander cash machines in Spain you are still paying currency conversion fee of 2.75%.

"Foreign currency conversion fee for withdrawals: Percentage of total transaction value 2.75%"

With Santander 123, Santander 123 lite, Santander Select you do not pay both currency conversion fee and ATM Fee if are using using Satander Cash Machines in Spain.

The "Fee Information Documents" for all of the accounts you mention are exact copies of each other on the subject of "Cash Withdrawal in Foreign Currencies" with the exception of the Select account which is a copy but with the additional benefit of no fees in other countries in Europe & the Americas.

So if we say that the Everyday account charges interest then surely the other accounts do too. Or if we say that the other accounts have no charges then it follows that the Everyday account doesn't either, seeing as the documents are identical.
  • [FONT=&quot]With Santander 123, Santander 123 lite people will normally need to pay £500, to get the perks such as cashback, foreign withdrawal. Similarly, to Santander 123 or Santander Select. [/FONT]
    It appears that the Select account needs a £500 monthly pay in to enjoy cashback and interest, but not for fee free ATM withdrawals at Santander machines in specified countries ?

As many Select holders will credit it with the minimum £5,000 monthly in order to to open and maintain the account then this £500 requirement is automatically covered.

However, alternatively, if a customer meets the necessary savings or investments criteria then a Select account can be opened without the £5,000 maintenance requirement - but there is still a need to pay in £500 monthly for cashback and interest.

I'm more consfued now than ever !!!
  • EveryWhere
    biggmick1 wrote: »
    The "Fee Information Documents" for all of the accounts you mention are exact copies of each other on the subject of "Cash Withdrawal in Foreign Currencies" with the exception of the Select account which is a copy but with the additional benefit of no fees in other countries in Europe & the Americas.

So if we say that the Everyday account charges interest then surely the other accounts do too. Or if we say that the other accounts have no charges then it follows that the Everyday account doesn't either, seeing as the documents are identical.

It is clear; https://www.santander.co.uk/assets/s3fs-public/documents/fid-everyday-current-account.pdf

2.png

adindas added some unnecessary confusion. Not a big issue. Everyone can make a mistake.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 August 2019 at 7:53AM
    It appears that the Select account needs a £500 monthly pay in to enjoy cashback and interest, but not for fee free ATM withdrawals at Santander machines in specified countries ?

As many Select holders will credit it with the minimum £5,000 monthly in order to to open and maintain the account then this £500 requirement is automatically covered.

However, alternatively, if a customer meets the necessary savings or investments criteria then a Select account can be opened without the £5,000 maintenance requirement - but there is still a need to pay in £500 monthly for cashback and interest.

I'm more consfued now than ever !!!

That is my understanding with Santander 123 and select account. With everyday account no requirwment for monthly deposit ?? Basic account comes with cash card account also does not have monthly deposit requirement and it has een confiremed you do pay the fee.
  • adindas
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    It is completely clear and is confirmed in their latest email reply shown here today, by NoodleDoodleMan;

How is that not clear to you? There is really no need for your overly long conjecture about nothing.

[FONT=&quot]Does NoodleDoodleMan have everyday account or Satander 123, select ? Does the reply particularly refer to everyday account ??
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Have you or anyone tried it? Has anyone confirmed it? [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I have not seen from reply you mention about this. If not, how could you be so sure about this? Many people on MSE here have Santander 123 rather than everyday account to get the perks attached to it. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You do get foreign currency fees with Santander 123, select, waived if you pay the minimum deposit requirement. You do not get it waived if you do not pay the minimum monthly requirement for the perks. It has been confirmed previously.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Experience tell, the bank does have a difference interpretation with the people. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The reply might be a generic reply to the use of debit card it might not specifically refer to everyday account. With Santander account you do get perk if you meet the requirement. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Keep in mind there are two fees here, ATM fee using Santander machines and Foreign currency conversion fee. In most of current account (if not all) Foreign conversion fee, is about the perks you get. Everyday account does not have a perk attached to it. Santander has spelled it out that you do pay the foreign withdrawal fee if you have a cash card account. It might be the same thing with everyday ac which have similar characteristics with Everyday account, e.g. do not have monthly deposit requirement neither do they have the perks.[/FONT]

You might be right but to be 100% confidence people will need to test it with everyday account debit card and report their personal experience. I read MSE especially with foreign cash withdrawal as I myself use this facility quite often So far I have not seen anyone has confirmed this.
  • EveryWhere
    [FONT=&quot]Does NoodleDoodleMan have everyday account or Satander 123, select ? Does the reply particularly refer to everyday account ??
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Have you or anyone tried it? Has anyone confirmed it? [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I have not seen from reply you mention about this. If not, how could you be so sure about this? Many people on MSE here have Santander 123 rather than everyday account to get the perks attached to it. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You do get foreign currency fees with Santander 123, select, waived if you pay the minimum deposit requirement. You do not get it waived if you do not pay the minimum monthly requirement for the perks. It has been confirmed previously.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Experience tell, the bank does have a difference interpretation with the people. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The reply might be a generic reply to the use of debit card it might not specifically refer to everyday account. With Santander account you do get perk if you meet the requirement. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Keep in mind there are two fees here, ATM fee using Santander machines and Foreign currency conversion fee. In most of current account (if not all) Foreign conversion fee, is about the perks you get. Everyday account does not have a perk attached to it. Santander has spelled it out that you do pay the foreign withdrawal fee if you have a cash card account. It might be the same thing with everyday ac which have similar characteristics with Everyday account, e.g. do not have monthly deposit requirement neither do they have the perks.[/FONT]

You might be right but to be 100% confidence people will need to test it with everyday account debit card and report their personal experience. I read MSE especially with foreign cash withdrawal as I myself use this facility quite often So far I have not seen anyone has confirmed this.

I'm beginning to think that you are not dealing from a full pack.
    If it states there is no charge in their published T&C, then they cannot charge you. If they do, contact them and they will refund you.

Too many unnecessary words in your posts.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,348 Forumite
    edited 27 August 2019 at 10:08AM
    [FONT=&quot]Does NoodleDoodleMan have everyday account or Satander 123, select ? Does the reply particularly refer to everyday account ?? [/FONT]
    We have an Everyday and a Select account - have only used the former at Santander ATMs and have not been charged fees, except on one single ocassion in Mallorca, and that was from a former Banco Popular machine subsequently rebranded. Santander UK promptly refunded those fees.

The Select account is effectively an upgraded I23 account where an applicant can satisfy the eligibility criteria.

We pay £500 + into the Everyday account monthly, so I was (and still am) of the understanding that no ATM fees would apply at Santander machines in Spain.

Likewise we credit the Select account with £500 + in order to qualify for same benefit - it would be our backup option for Spain, and possible use in the other applicable countries.
  • adindas
    edited 27 August 2019 at 10:30AM
    We have an Everyday and a Select account - have only used the former at Santander ATMs and have not been charged fees, except on one single ocassion in Mallorca, and that was from a former Banco Popular machine subsequently rebranded. Santander UK promptly refunded those fees.

The Select account is effectively an upgraded I23 account where an applicant can satisfy the eligibility criteria.

We pay £500 + into the Everyday account monthly, so I was (and still am) of the understanding that no ATM fees would apply at Santander machines in Spain.

Likewise we credit the Select account with £500 + in order to qualify for same benefit - it would be our backup option for Spain, and possible use in the other applicable countries.

Thanks for confirming this. So it is now clear that there is no charge even with everyday account. I think they might consider the everyday account similar to Santander 123 Lite account. If you could effort to pay £500 monthly you actually have qualified for Santander 123 lite account for perks. So people with everyday account it is just a matter of asking them to do that and they will redesignate account to Santander 123 Lite.

I have no chance to try as I only have Santander 123 lite and Santander Zero account. Most of the time I am just using my Santander Zero account.
  • So it is now clear that there is no charge even with everyday account.

Not in my experience, based on paying in the £500 monthly.

If that were not credited monthly, then (presumably) fees will be taken a Santander ATM in Spain etc.

However, I don't see any relationship between the Everyday current account, based on the £500 pay in, and the Santander Lite, which has a monthly maintenance fee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure