No national minimum wage increase because paid fortnightly

Options
I have only been working for my employer for a couple of months, they are a huge leisure industry
We are paid fortnightly
My pay period was from the 29 th March to 11 th April
For the first week of that pay period I worked 24.53 hours at the rate of £7.83 per hour = £192.07
For the second week of that pay period I worked 25.90 hours at the rate of £7.83 per hour = £202.80
Only 3 days of this pay period were before 1 st April and yet not one single hour was paid at the new nmw rate
How are they allowed to get away with not giving anyone a pay rise in accordance with the nmw
They say its because the pay period started before April 1st but the simple fact is 11 out of those 14 days in that period were worked on and after April 1 st
This just doesn't seem fair, I've read some pages on the Acas site but I just can't see how this is allowed

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
  • nez1880
    nez1880 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you that explains it a lot clearer, seems so unfair though
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Unfair - maybe. Nothing you can do. It will go up and be reflected in your next fortnightly pay.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The new pay period didn't start on the 1st, it was on the 6th, so you've not lost as much as you first thought.
  • JCS1
    JCS1 Posts: 5,288 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The new pay period didn't start on the 1st, it was on the 6th, so you've not lost as much as you first thought.

New NMW was effective from the 1st, bizarre when the tax year starts on the 6th...
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    JCS1 wrote: »
    New NMW was effective from the 1st, bizarre when the tax year starts on the 6th...

Possibly for this very reason as monthly pay periods starting on the 1st are a common choice. If NMW went up on the 6th people on that pay pattern wouldn't get it until May.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • nick74
    nick74 Posts: 829 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 April 2019 at 4:36PM
    Options

Its the pay reference period that is relevant for NMW, ie the period worked in order to receive a wage payment, rather than the PAYE period. For example where I work we pay monthly and calculate pay from 26th of the month to 25th of the following month, which is our pay reference period.

Based on that we could have delayed paying the minimum wage increase until the wage payment for the month up to 25th May, but have voluntarily decided to pay the increase in the wages we will pay on 25th April.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure