Economy 10 to 7

Hi all, please help ! At the moment we are on an economy 10 Tariff with npower and the monthly bill have gone up to £110 a month based on us using Day rate 1814 kWh Night 147kwh Heat 4798kwh. Unfortunately we have what they call a complex meter so are locked into Npower as no other company will other us electricity because of it. What I would like to know how hard would it be to change ove4 to an economy 7 meter which will give us more options to pick a cheaper supplier. I have been told we will need to rewire our fuse board to make this work, is this true ? Sorry for the long post but we really don’t understand any of the info the power companies are giving us.
Thanks in advance
Marc

Comments

• Technically you can switch, SSE, E.on & Scottish Power have complex metering teams for these cases.

But you're right the best route is to get your supply changed over to economy 7. Energy suppliers say that because they don't know either and want to play it on the safe side.

Generally it's good advice, but most of the time nothing needs to be done. Do you have 1 meter and does it have 5 terminals? (5 cables coming out of the bottom)
  • The meter does have 5 leads coming out from the bottom
  • Also our meter has two MPAN numbers on it, which I’m told by npower is a complex meter 😩 I’ve also been told if I switch with this meter to another company they will charge me two standing charges one for each MPAN number , is this right ?
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What is your tariff rate?

And before you switch, do you have storage heating and do you use the extra afternoon and evening hours for heating?

You might want to speak with Npower and see if their smart meters now support E10, and whether their systems allow you to switch between tariff types once a smart meter is installed. Unlike the old standard, E7 and E10 meters which were physically different hardware, the smart meters are normally (or will eventually be) the same hardware but configured differently, and suppliers should be able to change this remotely, once they get their systems in place.
  • stewie_griffin
    stewie_griffin Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Technically you can switch, SSE, E.on & Scottish Power have complex metering teams for these cases.

But you're right the best route is to get your supply changed over to economy 7. Energy suppliers say that because they don't know either and want to play it on the safe side.

Generally it's good advice, but most of the time nothing needs to be done. Do you have 1 meter and does it have 5 terminals? (5 cables coming out of the bottom)
    E.ON removed their complex meter tariffs a couple of years ago as I had to have my Heatwise meter replaced otherwise I would have been moved to a tariff with no off peak prices.
  • Most suppliers would charge you two standing charges 1 per MPAN that's correct.

5 terminals mean there shouldn't need to be any changes made internally, but if you want a smart meter it will have to be one with 5 terminals. They may also need to fit a timeswitch to control your storage heaters.

Are there any controls for your storage heaters?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure