Ashp complete wet system install advice.

Doobedoo
Doobedoo Posts: 8 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 23 January at 5:13PM in Heat pumps
Hi Guys long time lurker first time poster here.

As the title thread I’m currently entertaining the idea of installing a complete ashp system. I currently live in a 3 bedroom end terrace house that has no gas supply to the building, with only night storage heaters or a recently diy installed air to air unit in the front room.
While the air to air has performed well above expections it’s not a whole house solution and night storage heaters are far too expensive to run. We do have solar panels and economy 7 and our energy bill is not very high so I’d like to keep it that way whilst doing my little bit for the environment if possible.

I’m thinking the best way for me to heat the house to a comfortable level would be to have an ashp system installed, which I know will likely cost a decent amount, but Rhi payments will likely cover a decent amount of the cost and the running cost over time will hopefully be a lot less than using electric.

I’m completely new to ashp so would like some recommendations on what sort of kit is better than others, radiators, tanks ect. If anyone has a similar setup then please chime in with your experiences.

I will hopefully be having a few different companies to come over and perform a survey but I don’t want to fall victim to being recommended components that make them a higher markup as opposed to being a better quality item.

Any help or suggestions welcome.

Comments

• mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi - sorry I can't help with the ASHP wet system question, but I'm sure somebody who can will be along soon.

At the risk off taking a bit of a liberty, can I ask you what air to air unit you installed and how easy was the installation?

Thanks, Mike
  • Doobedoo
    Doobedoo Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi Mike. No it’s no liberty at all.

We brought ours from a website called Cooleasy just type into the search bar KFR-23/IW 2.5kw 9000btu Air Conditioning Heat Pump Inverter. Sorry can’t post links.

I’ve never attempted to install one before but I knew it couldn’t be that difficult so I decided to take the plunge. Brought the kit and followed the instructions basically.

I’m lucky that I have all the equipment and tools I need to do a lot of diy type projects. The worse part was drilling a hole through the wall for the pipe wor, as once you start your committed, so that was a bit nerve racking. The next was bending the copper pipes into shape as they come coiled in a loop, so you have to carefully manipulate them in the shape you want without bending the internal radius of the pipe work, thus restricting flow.

If your a competent diy’er then you should be fine and bang for buck I dare say you would struggled to match the performance of these kits. We previously had 2 fitted at work a couple of years ago and they have worked flawlessly.

Any questions I’d be happy to help. If you were close to me I’d even give you a hand.

Regards Matt
  • Coastalwatch
    Coastalwatch Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi Doobedoo and congratulations on completing that installation. Reckon it must have worked out to be very cost effective! The air to air units are very efficient and seem to return about 4kW of energy for every 1kW of energy consumed.

My very limited understanding of wet systems, mostly gleaned from on here, is that they might achieve a similar efficiency when combined with underfloor heating where temperature increase of the water is limited. But if running through radiators where higher water temperatures are required then the efficiency drops to around 2:1. Equally, I understand that wet system installations can run into five figure sums. Hence we've had two air to air units installed in our bungalow which cover most of our space heating needs. Please do not take my word for it, but do tread carefully before signing on any dotted line.
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Doobedoo wrote: »
    We brought ours from a website called Cooleasy just type into the search bar KFR-23/IW 2.5kw 9000btu Air Conditioning Heat Pump Inverter. Sorry can’t post links.

Thanks Matt - no need for link because as you were typing this I was looking at their website! Like you, I've got the tools already and I'm fairly confident with this kind of stuff but it's reassuring to hear from someone who's actually done it. I'm planning to go for the 2.5kW Midea Blanc unit from the same supplier, will be placing order tomorrow morning :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure