looking for advice about child access

Options
2»

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It sounds like it is because the partner is a male and social services consider the children vulnerable.

The partner could visit the gran with the sister and come into contact with the children.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Weeg wrote: »
    That makes more sense thank you. Scottish law is different to English law is most ways. I was more confused as to how the kids aunt`s life had such a dramatic impact on the gran when she isnt in the same home. This would mean any/every person she meets will impact on the grans access to the kids. This is what i cant understand. Thank you for all the advice .xx

The short answer is that if you are not one of the parents concerned, you almost certainly don't have the full picture. It is highly unlikely that this is a blanket policy, there will be specific reasons why this is happening (or possibly, ran or mum or whoever you have been speaking to has misunderstood what they have been told)

The advice ias the same. If you are one of the people directly involve,d ask the social worker or your solicitor to make sure that you do understand what you can and can't do, and why.

If you are not directly involved, but someone who is is talking about this to you, advise them to clarify with the social worker or with their own solicitor so that they clearly understand what is happening.
    And for yourself, bear in mind that people are not always truthful and they may be mistaken, or misinterpret things, even if they are not consciously lying.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Weeg_2
    Weeg_2 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    I tbh would not tell the sw anything. The mum was beaten into believing she was useless and unable to care for her kids. The father lied constantly and the mum felt she couldn`t go against him no matter what. I am the sister of the gran, i am aware of most of what has happened, without going into too much detail for obvious reasons,, I am shocked at what the SW allowed the father to do to the kids before they were finally removed. The kids do not want anything to do with the father because he hurt them to , the SW wouldn`t listen to the kids as the father told the SW the mum and gran had brain washed them (she only got to see them once a week supervised at that point) . The kids were removed when he broke the kids elbow and the police were called in by the hospital , he was charged but let off. My sister (the gran) just wants time with her grand kids and to help her daughter as she is a single parent and her mum is the only person the SW will allow to help . The kids are amazing and doing great considering the horrible start they had. Thank you again for your help , really appreciate it. xx
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I tbh would not tell the sw anything. The mum was beaten into believing she was useless and unable to care for her kids. The father lied constantly and the mum felt she couldn`t go against him no matter what. I am the sister of the gran, i am aware of most of what has happened, without going into too much detail for obvious reasons,, I am shocked at what the SW allowed the father to do to the kids before they were finally removed. - Surely you should be shocked at the mother, your sister and the rest of the family for not intervening sooner..?? The kids do not want anything to do with the father because he hurt them to , the SW wouldn`t listen to the kids as the father told the SW the mum and gran had brain washed them (she only got to see them once a week supervised at that point) . The kids were removed when he broke the kids elbow and the police were called in by the hospital , he was charged but let off. - No, there was insufficient evidence to convict. I doubt the police, nor the prosecutor were keen to let a child abuser 'off'. My sister (the gran) just wants time with her grand kids and to help her daughter as she is a single parent and her mum is the only person the SW will allow to help . The kids are amazing and doing great considering the horrible start they had. Thank you again for your help , really appreciate it. xx

If a change in the care plan is required then as a family you should all present a case for this.

I suspect this is quite a recent development, as social services must look at relaxing any restrictions on a regular basis.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    .......... Scottish law is different to English law is most ways. ..........

What's that got to do with it?
    Something else you've not mentioned?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Weeg_2
    Options
    We did intervene and got called racists and liars . I do not live near by . I watched them bang their heads off brick walls and no matter what he did the SW defended him. Yeh I am shocked . One of the kids ended up in hosp AGAIN with burns on her face that was blistered and peeling. the excuse he gave was " she fell asleep on a fluffy covered hot water bottle " The SW seen this as a valid excuse. My sister contacted the burns unit and asked for advice on this very same scenario to be told the police would have been called as NO child would have slept through the pain of they burns. When the father is a charmer despite HIS neighbours telling the SW (they approached them to follow up on the report of the kids being on their own after school) that the kids would often be alone and outside their home because no one was there as the father was working in his shop. This is what they were up against and my niece finally got her kids back. My sister speaks up and questions their every move and this is what they did not like. one of them told my sister she had NO right asking advice on the same scenario with the burns unit. Every one is entitled to ask advice from anyone , she stated a scenario,,not the actual event using the kids names etc.
  • Weeg_2
    Options
    Thank you comms69 xx. I think you have helped me understand a little more clearly, I will leave it at this thanks . I only asked if anyone knew why or when this situation could arise , i find if folk have nothing nice or helpful to type,, then don`t. really do not need the sarky judgemental comments mgdavid , when the laws are different it does matter. bye
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I hope the social worker has been sacked!
  • *max*
    *max* Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Poor kids.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ......... really do not need the sarky judgemental comments mgdavid , when the laws are different it does matter. bye

Neither sarky nor judgemental - just trying to understand what you are on about as at no point had you mentioned England or Scotland or where you or any of the other people mentioned by you are. Forum responders are not psychic and can only comment on the information given, or in this case not given. But if you're not concerned about receiving accurate replies then that's your choice.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure