Too early for Christmas lights?

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I'll put my Christmas decorations up when it suits me.
    I'll leave other people to do the same.
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    First weekend in December in our house
    Zebras rock
  • I mention a tongue in cheek post I read somewhere. “For every Christmas light lit before Thanksgiving an elf kills a reindeer “ perhaps a bit harsh but really I feel the first of December is far too early. How do parents cope with young children wanting to know when Santa is coming every day!
  • MSE_Tine wrote: »
    is it still too soon, or are we being bah humbugs? Let us know in the thread below.
    [purplesignup][/purplesignup]

We generally work off the weekend before the 1st of December. We go to some trouble to put everything up for the kids so may as well make the most of it! (without being too early and ruining the special-ness of Christmas!)
    Increasingly money-conscious
    :cool:
  • I put Christmas lights up around the front door a couple of weeks before the 25th, test them, and leave them switched off until switch-on, at dusk on Christmas Eve. Switch-off is 12th Night.

I also put lots of those tiny white led lights all over the kitchen in mid-December, and leave them on until the clocks go back to BST - I call them Winter lights and they brighten up the bleak grey winter days.
  • jbryce
    jbryce Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    1st December is the correct day to put them up. It is a Saturday this year, but if it wasn't then the weekend before would be acceptable, but don't switch them on until the 1st.
  • jbryce
    jbryce Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    "How do parents cope with young children wanting to know when Santa is coming every day!"

That's what the Advent calendar is for.
  • Once we are into December then I think it is acceptable to put up Xmas decks and lights. That’s when I do mine anyway!
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    1st Dec is far too early for me, much as I love twinkly lights! Ours will go up on 15th Dec, then stay until 12th night. That's still a lot of time with decorations up.
  • lesbro
    lesbro Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Early display of Christmas lights only spoil the Special Season attraction. December 1st should be the time for a switch on for houses, shops and towns.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure