The Debt Free Roll Of Honour

Comments

• The date of your lightbulb moment - January 2006

Debts at their highest - £11275.42

Debt-Free Date - 9th December 2013

Your one pearl of wisdom - Its not a bargain if (a) you didnt already NEED it (b) you pay on a credit card which then charges interest!

Which forum threads helped you - Lots: coupons, Old style moneysaving, utilities, debt free diaries, freebies & competitions
    Saving 1 animal wont change the world - but it will change the world for that 1 animal

Weight loss challenge 2024 - 1st quarter goal = 15/24lbs
    Pantry challenge 2024
    24 for 2024 challenge
    Prepping….the new world
    Make do, mend, minimise
  • The date of your lightbulb moment - 2008 sometime

Debts at their highest - £15k approx

Debt-Free Date - 20th Dec 2013

Your one pearl of wisdom - Don't give up. If you have a slip up then wipe the slate clean & start afresh but don't do what I did & end up in even more debt. The feeling of being DEBT FREE is so worth all the time & work it takes to pay it all off.

Which forum threads helped you - Debt free wannabe & diaries. So much support on these forums.

Dxxx
  • amber03
    amber03 Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    The date of your LBM - June 2010.

Debt at its highest - £11,000.00

Debt Free Date- 30th October 2013.

Your one pearl of wisdom - Keep going with repayment no matter how small. Just remember each month of repayment will mean you will owe less and hopefully will never be in that much debt again.

Which forum threads helped - Debt free diaries was the main one, even when I had bad months it gave me hope and made me aware others where in the same position as me. Old style money savings, the old ways are the best.xx
    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £140.00
  • stoplurking
    stoplurking Posts: 384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 30 March 2014 at 8:01AM
    Date of LBM. - Oct 12

Debts at highest £17715.93

Debt free date 24/12/2013

Pearl of wisdom "you are spending what you don't have. Try living for the day and covering your spends before you spend what you have yet to earn" quoted by Brizzledfw credited to Postingalwaysposting.
    Guides -didn't use

Forum threads - Ninjasavingkat's Ultimate Challenge Diary and her monthly challenge threads for debt busting, lots on Old Style for money saving/meal planning.

Didn't have a diary.

With grateful thanks. SL.
    MFIT -T5 #42
  • Well Done everyone :T
  • I see MSE Badger's been around again :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Debt-free Year to everyone on the debt-free roll of honour!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Holland1977
    Holland1977 Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I have been debt free since May 2013.

Total amount of debt approx £12,000

I joined MSE October 2012, my sister in law told me about comping so thought I'd give it a go.

I didn't win a single thing for 3 months, my first win was a beautiful wedding cake worth £895, Samsung Galaxy S4, Coffee Maker worth £450, weekend away at Yarlington Yurt but in the April 2013 I received a call from a lovely lady at ITV, I had won the FA CUP competition.

I won a £27,000 Astra VXR, £5,000 cash, 2 premier season tickets and 2 VIP tickets to FA Cup final.

My life changed, I paid off my debts, myself and hubby to be (back then) made an appearance on ITV, we got married on 25th May.

We have our worries like any other married couple but nice not to worry about bad debt that was crippling us.

We now budget for the things we want and save like mad. I never want to be in the situation I was in before. I think twice before buying the beautiful dress I will only wear once!!!

2013 has been a wonderful year for us and it's all down to MSE, so thank you so much
    2013 Wedding Cake, Mini Break at Yarlington Yurt, £5,000, Astra VXR £27,000, 2 season tickets, 2 VIP tickets FA Cup final, Coffee Machine, Samsung S4, Theatre tickets, Rhianna concert tickets, family day out at Kenilworth castle, Big One tickets for Blackpool, designer duvet set, cheque £150. :rotfl:ITV WINNERS CLUB MEMBER #90:rotfl:
  • Congratulations what a wonderful end to the year.
    misselvis proud and in motion - dealing with her debts step by step :)DFW #107
    challenge pay off 6.5k by the end of 2017~ £388/£6500 challenge 1% challenge = 6% of debt cleared; challenge - build up 3 months emergency fund- £0/£6000
  • Yay!!! Hubby and I did it. Paid off all our debt we defaulted on back in 2008. It has been hard and the road seemed so long back in 2008. But my plan was to always pay it back before I turned 30. Well it was my 30th birthday yesterday and amongst all my birthday cards was a congratulations card from Stepchange. That is us £1013 a month better off. Here's to new beginnings :beer:
    JULES
    DMP:LBM May 2008 £50,970.68
    December 2013 £0
    Thanks to Stepchange
    PPI reclaimed £13,157.58 :Thanks to MSE and Martin
  • Well Done Juliesiep, that's a fantastic achievement and a very Happy Birthday! xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback