Prezzie ideas needed for a 14 year old 'Emo' girl? Help!

I'm finding it really hard to know what to buy for my 14 year old step-daughter for Christmas? She calls herself 'emo' which seems to be a trend amongst her teenage friends but this means I have no idea what to buy her! I've bought her all the obvious toiletries (body sprays, bubble bath etc) which are mostly in blue, green or black colours but that doesn't really amount to a lot!

I've also bought her a few items of clothing that I know (hope) she'll like as well as a Paramore calendar as she's a big fan of them (went to their concert last month for her birthday) but that's about it really!

Please help as I'm really stuck! :(

Comments

• I am not too sure what Emo actually means
    Is it a bit like Goths?????:huh:
    Would she like the Twilight films Tesco were doing the 3 films in a box set - out on Monday
    Or what about tickets to see her favourite band
    Jewellery??

What about an Ipod or docking system or new phone - not sure how much you want to spend?

Good Luck :)

I dont like the teenage years I currently have a 14 yr old boy and 18 yr old girl with another 3 close behind AAGGGHHH:eek:
    Que Sera, Sera
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    How about an iTunes voucher?
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    They've got the Monster High plush dolls out - my daughter loves them. The Frankie Stein Doll is cute, Black Bedding, gothic mirror, gothic makeup - like urban decay maybe? handbag? jewellery, boots, ( Does EMO mean Emotionally Disturbed?) They had a group of them on St Trinians 2!!
  • Black/navy nail varnish, fingerless gloves.
    A minute at the till, a lifetime on the bill.

Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

one life, live it!
  • Myrtle
    Myrtle Posts: 215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Blue Banana gift voucher?
    http://www.bluebanana.com/
  • sapphireeye
    sapphireeye Posts: 275 Forumite
    edited 2 December 2010 at 12:11AM
    I second the twilight thing... plus ebay has loads of merch, particularly based around Team Edward/Team Jacob. If you're not sure if she's into Twilight, the Eclipse dvd is coming out soon so you can somehow find a way to throw it into conversation. If she's 14 and heard of Paramore then it's probably as a direct relation to the Twilight films as Paramore were responsible for the theme song for the first movie. Lots of teenage girls now love them because of that!

Also I highly recommend truffle shuffle (truffleshuffle.co.uk) for random gifts, but they're quite retro so might be a bit beyond her. Worth a look though :) Emo is the new version of grunger and when I was 14 I thought I was it when I was going through that phase. Me and my friends like cool jewellery, stuff with random cartoon characters on (I won't lie, I still do and I have some stuff from truffle shuffle!). My brother's recently been through an emo faze and he liked studded belts in random colours, hair is a big thing so emo style accessories or colourful hair dye for random colour streaks, make-up (not for my brother obviously but for girls, black eyeliner etc) and he wore a lot of t-shirts for bands that I'm sure he couldn't have even known who they were like KISS. Oooh also, a lot of those types are into Nightmare before Christmas and all the Jack Skellington & Sally stuff. She might have heard of it or she might not, again pretend it's on TV over Christmas or something and see what she says.

Here are a few things I found on truffle shuffle:
    Bat necklace - http://www.truffleshuffle.co.uk/store/bat-necklace-from-culture-vulture-p-4810.html
    Party ring necklace - http://www.truffleshuffle.co.uk/store/party-ring-necklace-from-girl-blue-city-p-4420.html

What sort of clothes does she wear? I always loved David & Goliath tees, a few suggestions:
    http://www.chicksrule.co.uk/womens/womens-t-shirts/you-made-me-evil-womens-t-shirt.html
    http://www.chicksrule.co.uk/womens/womens-t-shirts/i-heart-vampires-womens-t-shirt.html
    http://www.chicksrule.co.uk/womens/womens-t-shirts/dark-side-womens-t-shirt.html (this is glow in the dark!)

Does she have a games console or anything? Guitar hero features paramore songs and her and her friends could pretend to be rockstars.

If you give us anymore info I might be able to help some more :) If all else fails, just type 'Emo' into an ebay search and you'll come up with loads of stuff!
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    I second the Twilight theme (after casually dropping it into the conversation if you aren't sure if she's into it...though asking 'Are you Team Edward or Team Jacob might be a bit obvious lol!)

How about a Paramore CD if she went to the concert? Or as suggested, an iTunes voucher if she has an iPod.

There is also a range of clothing called Emily Strange which she might like.

Emo has actually been around for years (since the 1980s). Here's a definition by Wikipedia

'Emo has been associated with a stereotype that includes being particularly emotional, sensitive, shy, introverted, or angst-ridden. (though this seems to describe pretty much any and every teenager lol!)

Has she dropped any hints as to what she might really like for Christmas? I don't know what your relationship is like but perhaps she might enjoy an afternoon shopping, just the two of you to choose something?

Oh, along the vampire theme, there are lots of teen books similar to Twlight out atm, The Vampire Diaries (also been on TV so you might get a DVD) are popular. If she likes reading then a good book shop will be able to help you choose.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My daughter - a bit older and has passed through the emo phase - suggests:

studded belt
    black skinny jeans
    black eye liner
    dark bangles - possibly choker (but more Goth than emo)
    gig tickets

I'd add a hand made book/journal for writing and a roller ball or fountain pen but my daughter says it's a cliche that emo types like to write!
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
  • Thank you for all the replies!

She's a big Twilight fan but already has all the books and has seen all the movies! She's 'Team Jacob' so I bought her a framed poster of him along with a keyring, bookmark and pen.

A few things that I know she likes are Blue Banana clothing (so the gift voucher is a good idea, thanks!), Skelanimals, Marmite and Paramore.

She's got an iPod Touch but already has all the songs she wants. I was thinking of getting her an iPod docking station as I know she wants one but I'm not sure whether her mum might be getting that for her? I also know that she wants Sims 3 for Xbox but again, her mum might have already got that.

The two things I was going to buy her, she's bought herself from with her birthday money (which was at end November) and that was a leather look biker jacket and a Babyliss curling wand.

She's already dyed her hair a purpley red and had it cut recently too so a hairdressers voucher isn't worth it. This may sound odd but I know that she wants a bin for her bedroom, it's just trying to find one that she'd like which is the problem! I was going to fill it with all her toiletries that I've bought her - any suggestions? I've got her a few items of jewellery from Claire's (skull earrings, safety pin necklace etc).

Ummm, she's into the 'vampire' theme and she also likes Ed Hardy perfume. I was thinking about getting her a lava lamp or some kind of lamp for her room - any suggestions? Also PJ's and a hot water bottle - does anyone have any recommendations?

It seems most gifts for teens are either pink (which I've been told is a complete no go!) or way too girly for her. I've got her a few bits and pieces but nothing really substantial, if you know what I mean?

Thanks again in advance, you've all been a great help! :)
  • Funnily enough, I remember her showing me this t-shirt a while back and she said she really wanted it! I have a feeling she's going to buy it with her birthday money though. Here's hoping she's forgotten like I did and I can get it as an extra Christmas prezzie! At least I'll know that it's something she definitely likes! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure