Using city names & UK landmarks on new product packaging?

Good Afternoon all Money Saving Experts,

I have a question with regards to a new line of products I will be launching for my small business.

I'm am designing labels for my new products and I'm looking to use the names of multiple cities (I'm from one of them and each product will have a city name on it), and also apply some landmarks in the background of the label from these cities.

Do I need to acquire permission to use the cities Name on my item? Do I also need to acquire permission to use illustrations of landmarks on my product labels? These would be my own designs and the landmark itself I would create in Photoshop by hand.

I've had a search on Google but unable to find anything that will help me figure this out. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks for your help.
:beer:

Comments

• bingo_bango
    bingo_bango Posts: 2,594 Forumite
    The short answer is no.

If you decide to register the design however, it needs to be different from anything else currently registered in that class. This would important if you were trying to protect your rights through the courts at some later date.

In terms of a starting point for research, see the IPO Blog around names. It has a link towards the bottom for registered designs and that is probably where you want to start the journey proper.

Good luck!
  • Elise1912
    Elise1912 Posts: 54 Forumite
    I think it depends in what context exactly. There are rules about using some phrases e.g. Made in London or Best in London when actually those aren't factually correct. What's the product and why do they have city names on them? I think we need a bit more background. I don't see a problem using artwork as long as its your own and they're public landmarks as opposed to a privately owned building.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 23 April 2019 at 11:41AM
    You need to watch out that you do not accidently include any emblems in your designs. For example' most national flags do not have copyright protection but state flags in the USA are protected.

Any photo that is not taken by you will have automatic copyright protection even if you alter it in Photoshop. Also, you need to be careful using photos which are labelled as "royalty free", or other such phrase which suggests that you can use them for any purpose, as they can still have copyright protection when used for commercial purposes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure