petition Age Uk Save Free TV for Older People

https://campaigns.ageuk.org.uk/page/34266/petition/1?ea.tracking.id=1unr39mb

Switched Off: Save Free TV for Older People

For over a million of our oldest citizens the TV is their constant companion and window on the world. And now it’s under threat.

The BBC is considering removing free TV licences from the over-75s. But this is really the Government’s doing: they pushed the scheme onto the BBC without asking any of us what we think or providing the funding to sustain it.

Together, we must demand the Government takes back responsibility for funding free TV licences for everyone over 75.

Comments

• Everyone who isn't rich and/or a Tory donor has had to tighten their belts, yet the BBC hasn't.

Get the BBC to cut their costs and this scheme can be paid for by the savings.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

Get the BBC to cut their costs and this scheme can be paid for by the savings.

Seems like you have your wish. The BBC have said they are reducing programmes made for older people.
  • I wont be signing this as pensioners voted for us to leave the UK. I have no time for them.
  • timmy963
    timmy963 Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I wont be signing this as pensioners voted for us to leave the UK. I have no time for them.

I voted leave too, come at me.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,805 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I wont be signing this as pensioners voted for us to leave the UK. .

That's a vote I must have missed ..... if we left the UK where would we go ?
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    badmemory wrote: »
    Seems like you have your wish. The BBC have said they are reducing programmes made for older people.

They only make shows for coffin dodgers! The average age of a person who watches BBC One is 61, while it is 62 for BBC Two.

BBC Starts to Feel the Chill From ‘Netflix Effect’

"Brits are increasingly abandoning TV licenses as they turn to on-demand streaming services such as Netflix, according to The Times.

More than 860,000 licenses -- which allow viewers to watch live television and the BBC’s iPlayer catch-up service -- were canceled in 2017-18, the newspaper said, citing figures it obtained. That equates to around 2,300 per day, and marks the first rise in cancellations for five years.

The licenses aren’t needed if viewers only watch on-demand streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime and Now TV. Analysts estimate Netflix has 9.78 million U.K. subscribers."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-02/-netflix-effect-sees-british-tv-viewers-ditching-their-licenses

I will not be renewing mine in April. BBC is done in its current form.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I wont be signing this as pensioners voted for us to leave the UK. I have no time for them.

If you mean the EU, then plenty of non-pensioners must have voted to leave. Especially as not all pensioners voted to leave!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

What on earth has leaving the EU got to do with TV licences?
  • Signed. We have to look after our elders!
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    bumping this

https://campaigns.ageuk.org.uk/page/34266/petition/1?ea.tracking.id=1unr39mb

they need 14k more signatures! 110k so far!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure