50 something man seeking to save to retire before 60!

Options

Comments

• Mr_Costcutter
    Options
    crv1963 wrote: »

I decided after that I'd rather pay a little more and get things we need/ want when they are needed rather than as bargains! .

Absolutely - exactly how I feel :)
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 December 2018 at 10:11AM
    Options
    Hi

A bit remiss of me to have missed posting November payday update. Better late than not!

Spending Paid the balance on Mrs CRV Jukebox which was well over my original envisaged price but it is a rarer model being one of only several hundred manufactured instead of one of several thousand. It has been delivered earlier this week and she has already got it- I can't hide something that big! Youngest son has already "bagged it" when we're gone! We were told it will keep its' value as of course not many really survive in full working order.

So that was my years worth of Christmas savings gone plus some.

Bought the remainder of items for everyone else, still think I'm missing a few things though.

Worked out my most expensive Christmas to date, but I keep telling myself I've got all of the big ticket items bought while I'm working.

Saving Well I have finally managed to put £50 away to kick start my New Year savings plans, I'm going to start putting at least £250 pm away I'm going to split it between a simple savings account and the work Christmas Club.

Sorting We've managed to keep the Conservatory clear, have been forced to clear the living room as we moved the CD Jukebox into there so we can have the 80s 7" singles Jukebox in the Hall. Moved a few boxes into the spare bedroom, which have to go into the loft today so youngest son can sleep there when he comes up.

Got to sort what presents we have bought and arrange to drop them off.

Other News

Got a long list of things to do today!

1) Massive ironing pile to clear ready for Christmas.
    2) Got to put up the Tree.
    3) Wrap the presents.
    4) Write the cards
    5) Deliver the presents
    6) Decide if I can face a daily 200 mile commute over Christmas or if I should stay at my landladys home as she is now away for Christmas.

We have had some bad news on the Vet front, poor 15 or 16 year old cat needs some dental work, cost £270 this week and is going to cost another £420 first week in January. Blowing yet another hole in my budget plans. But if you're going to have pets, then you take the rough with the smooth, she actually moved herself in over 12 years ago and has never left!

Picking oldest sons car up in the New Year, actually paying for it from Decembers pay as I went over budget with Mrs CRV presents. As it is near where I work I think I'll get the train down to pick it up then drive it to him, train back, if he ever remembers to text me back I'll try to sort it on one of his days off.

Been really busy with work, grabbing the odd half hour to comment on a few posts on here and FB.

I hope everyone has a great Christmas, I hope that the New Year brings joy and health.

CRV
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • MrAPJI
    MrAPJI Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good to see the update CRV :)

Wishing you a very happy xmas, good health and propserity for 2019.
  • crv1963
    Options
    MrAPJI- wishing you every best wish and a speedy recovery.
  • Mr_Costcutter
    Options
    Best wishes for xmas CRV - always enjoy your updates.
    You sound as busy as ever - really hope you are able to enjoy some time to relax :)

Best wishes also to all who post/read. Hope everyone enjoys a happy and peaceful time.
  • crv1963
    Options
    Hi Mr C- rushing about as usual, working, 25, 26 and 27 then with Mrs CRV shifts we've decided that we'll have our Christmas Day on New Years Day. Opening one present each tonight though, be early as I'm up and out for work by 05.30.

Everybody I hope you have a happy time with whatever your plans are and a healthy, prosperous New Year.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Happy Christmas to everyone, hope work is not to full on for you crv.
  • sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hope everyone had a great Christmas and Happy New Year , l have not posted for a while been busy with my parents and then Christmas etc. Anyway hope everyone is well and happy, here's to a great New Year for us all!
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
  • ManofLeisure_2
    Options
    Nice to see you posting again SukySue :)

Happy New Year to all who post here :)

I see the world is back to normal and focus upon Brexit has resumed. Just hope that whatever happens during the coming months, doesn't impact too much upon anyone planning to retire.

Looks like it's been an expensive time for you CRV - hope everything settles down quickly :)
  • MrAPJI
    MrAPJI Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Did you hear much about 'Brexit' whilst in the Netherlands? Just curious about their take on the situation :).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback