And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage

Comments

• pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Your thrifty Saturday sounds perfect to me :)

It was EE:D. Hope you had a good weekend too xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • pinkypig
    Good luck with rehydration and your run, just in from one now and relaxing with a pay run coffee ....heaven! :)

Oooo which boxset is it? Always on the look out for a new one !
    X

Its The Killing (original Danish one). Thought subtitles might drive me nuts but its soooo good :D
  • pinkypig
    Your Saturday sounds fabulous, and I love hearing of all your ys bargains. Which supermarket do you visit, and any tips on times to go? I’m currently trying to eat down the freezer, but then hope to keep it stocked with reductions.

Asda at 7.15 ish and the weekend was lovely, hope yours was too xx
  • pinkypig
    Is it only Tuesday?!! What is it about the early part of the week that annihilates your energy levels? Shock to the system as a result of too much R&R (and wine) at the weekend probably:o

Work is ticking along nicely, marking is up to date but assessment probably needs a bit more attention. Traveling to and from in these icy conditions has kept things interesting:eek: I hope there's not too much snow overnight.

I've no real money news other than a 40p TT! However, my lovely weekend was a ns weekend. Funny that, nothing spent but life has rarely felt richer. Wish that particular penny had dropped sooner...

Today was also a nsd but I did have a sort of spend yesterday. I accumulated £30 of Asda vouchers on my cb cc since they stopped doing cash back and switched to vouchers part way through last year. I was going to spend them on treats for Christmas but as I'd collected such a lot of Shopium 'gifts' and got so many goodies from school as gifts I decided to hang on to them to use in the endless month of January.

My first thought was to use them for a weekly shop but given my ys hauls I didn't need to spend £30 plus having got used to Aldi prices I balked a little at the cost of some things. In the end I spent £30 on staples that cost no more than Aldi and and stocked up on ds's favourite juice that you can't get at Aldi. In my utility room I now have 12 pasatta, 12 chopped toms, 24 cartons of juice, 4kg of oats plus flour, hot choc, gravy and custard in the store cupboard. The cost to me was 55p. I've decided not to take it all out of my January grocery budget as it will be used over 3 months so I will put £10 each month for Jan, Feb and March. So Chez Piggy is officially bursting at the seams. This weekend's job is to plan February's meals from stocks:D

Today's other successes included;

Daily sweep and wipe done

Laundry in so will hang on the airer later

Spin class done

Cheap healthy eats ( over night oats for breakfast, lo dhansak and rice for lunch, batch cooked hoisin pork from the freezer for dinner).

Lunches out of the freezer for tomorrow (tarka daal) and lo jambalaya for dinner.

Fails

Not enough water drunk :(

My electric blanket is on so I'm off to indulge myself with my nightly treat of hot chocolate in a nice warm bed reading a good book. Lights WILL be out by 10.15 :)

PP xx
  • Well done on the continued food successes - I have been making some weird and wonderful things from dinner from the storecupboard staples. However, I am now at the stage where the remaining tubs of LO in the freezer all look the same, so it is pot luck as to whether I end up with veg chili (yum) or a load of gravy for my lunches this week at work.

**note to self - start labelling**
  • pinkypig
    Well done on the continued food successes - I have been making some weird and wonderful things from dinner from the storecupboard staples. However, I am now at the stage where the remaining tubs of LO in the freezer all look the same, so it is pot luck as to whether I end up with veg chili (yum) or a load of gravy for my lunches this week at work.

**note to self - start labelling**

Hiya BTE :wave:. I love a store cupboard challenge:D xx
  • pinkypig
    There is something quite satisfying about making it through Wednesday and knowing the weekend is almost in view:p

There was less snow than forecast but travel was still chaotic which added an hour to my journey. Made it with me and the car in one piece so thankful for that. Once I got there the day went well and my marking is up to date and my room is reasonably tidy:j

In money news I got 85p back from Shopium so that was transferred to my os account. I had a £4.14 grocery spend on ground coffee (one of my few luxuries that I just couldn't be without :o), milk, conditioner and three packs of beetroot, which I love, before the Aldi S6 changes tomorrow. I also needed to fill up with petrol so a bit of a spendy day.

January feels like it will never end and its still 11 days until pay day:eek:. My fuel budget and personal spends are looking healthy but the grocery budget is tight, largely down to bulk purchasing meat and spices which I know will pay dividends for months to come so it was the right thing to do. I've also had three big annual spends so my os payment this month will be less than normal but I should hit my targets (fingers crossed).

Other mfw successes;

Drank 2 litres of water :j

Weights class done

Cheap healthy eats (porridge for breakfast, tarka daal for lunch and jambalaya and salad for dinner)

Made low fat hummus for healthy snacks

Daily sweep and wipe done

Recycling sorted, put out and collected

Tomorrow's to do list is

Pop into town for a couple of cards and some Poundland laundry liquid and some calcium tablets

Put chilli bean soup in sc

Fold and put away laundry.

Do next week's meal plan and (hopefully) very small shopping list

Off to catch up on Silent Witness:)

PP xx
  • PP you constantly amaze me with your energy.
    But yes, January is a long month, but then February always feels soooo much shorter.

Do you put money aside each month for the annual bills or just take the hit in that month?
    We're at the point now where we could 'take the hit' on the months the renewals come round, but my ynab pot system is really well structured now that I don't ever feel like I'm actually paying the bills. Usually any money left over in an 'annual bills' pot gets sent to the mop pot, but I've decided to redistribute it to the service pot for now as that is currently lacking somewhat.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Payday is on 23rd for me....it still seems a long way away and I am one of the few who finds that February goes in forever....it is my least favourite month of the year by far!!

My storecupboard challenge is almost complete...probably one more week (oh, that coincides with payday!!) and I can do a proper replenish. My meal plan template is ready to go! Until then, marvellous meals with lentils and leeks it is!!
  • pinkypig
    PP you constantly amaze me with your energy.
    But yes, January is a long month, but then February always feels soooo much shorter.

Do you put money aside each month for the annual bills or just take the hit in that month?
    We're at the point now where we could 'take the hit' on the months the renewals come round, but my ynab pot system is really well structured now that I don't ever feel like I'm actually paying the bills. Usually any money left over in an 'annual bills' pot gets sent to the mop pot, but I've decided to redistribute it to the service pot for now as that is currently lacking somewhat.

Hiya Wish :wave: i put it away each month. It used to be in a separate account but now its all in the os account to get the interest benefit but I don't count it as a mop .

As for my energy - I'll crash and burn shortly,its only my second full week:rotfl:
    How was your teaching day? Xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback