Mind the 'age' gap: retirement planning

Comments

• MK62
    MK62 Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Good question and it has been touted around before.

Given that we can "defer for more", it would seem only logical to be able to "advance for less".

However I suspect it all comes down to cost and cash-flow - like a bank, if too many people want their money early then it all goes pear shaped, and it would be politically challenging (and a whole load more work) to introduce a system which limited the numbers able to do it.

I does raise other questions and potential issues too though....

What if someone takes the state pension early at a reduced rate, but then runs down their private pension, so that by, say 70, they only have the reduced state pension to live on....the govt may then be in a position of having to then pay them benefits to bring them back up to a level deemed enough to exist on.
    I suppose there are checks and balances you could put in, but it'd all add up to load more work, and probably a new govt department to administer it..... and so on.

I'm sure there are a load of other practical issues too which I haven't thought of off the top of my head!
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    In the USA you can choose to take your Soc Sec early but reduced. Around 5 years early i think.
  • Cottage_Economy
    Cottage_Economy Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    MK62 wrote: »
    I suppose there are checks and balances you could put in, but it'd all add up to load more work, and probably a new govt department to administer it..... and so on.

Say there were checks and balances in place, I wonder how many people would take it early?

There must be people out there still working up to 67 because their occupational pensions aren't enough to live on.
  • Cottage_Economy
    atush wrote: »
    In the USA you can choose to take your Soc Sec early but reduced. Around 5 years early i think.

The average payment at 67 is about $1300 a month. At 62 they're paid about $300 less.
  • Anonymous101
    Anonymous101 Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Say there were checks and balances in place, I wonder how many people would take it early?

There must be people out there still working up to 67 because their occupational pensions aren't enough to live on.

I know lots of people that feel they have to work until they're 67 because they don't have private or occupational pensions that could support them.

If fact I know several people that don't have any pension savings other than the government one.
  • Cottage_Economy
    edited 16 May 2018 at 6:18PM
    I know lots of people that feel they have to work until they're 67 because they don't have private or occupational pensions that could support them.

If fact I know several people that don't have any pension savings other than the government one.

Yes, my BIL has nothing saved, nothing at all. I don't know how he's going to get by in old age. Just the state pension will not be enough.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    my BIL has nothing saved, nothing at all. I don't know how he's Just the state pension will not be enough.

I imagine he expects to sponge off other people.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Cottage_Economy
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    I imagine he expects to sponge off other people.

I know we won't be able to support him. Every penny we have will need to be accounted for and working hard if I'm to go at 55 and stay gone.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 May 2018 at 7:02PM

This is really common! I know/ have met many who could save as a supplement for their state pension but don't or often won't, I get told often "I won't live that long" or even worse "well I'll get benefits to top it up!".

This forum is really a tiny fraction of people who've thought about it and decided to either learn more about options or to do something more about it.

Also there is really poor understanding of both pensions and life expectancy, many who are auto-enrolled in the workplace really do think that their monthly 3% will make for a comfortable retirement, when in fact they'll get a pittance. I think a financial lesson or two aimed at those in secondary education should be compulsory on an annual basis!

The trouble is financial planning, debt and a have it today culture pushed by star struck populations and media don't bode well together, and don't sell papers or gain viewing figures for the TV.

The cynic in me thinks auto-enrolment is a means for future governments to reduce pensioner benefits, the pittance pushing future pensioners over the income level to get them, not addressing the issue of making people save a decent amount to make a real difference to their retirement.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • Cottage_Economy
    edited 17 May 2018 at 7:59AM
    crv1963 wrote: »
    Also there is really poor understanding of both pensions and life expectancy, many who are auto-enrolled in the workplace really do think that their monthly 3% will make for a comfortable retirement, when in fact they'll get a pittance. I think a financial lesson or two aimed at those in secondary education should be compulsory on an annual basis!

I agree. My niece and nephew are in their 20s and received no financial education, either from their school or their parents. My nephew started work a few years ago and had access to one of the few remaining good DB schemes. He pulled a big face and didn't want to but I worked on him and he eventually did when I showed him what his contribution would provide after a set number of years. Not sure what will happen to my niece as she has gone into education and intends to live and work among the poorest communities in the Southern hemisphere. So she's already saddled with student debt and little chance of starting a pension for a long time to come.

I am seriously considering starting small pension funds for both of them and putting some money aside. Nephew won't ever need it, but I can't just do it for her as that would be unfair on him.
    crv1963 wrote: »
    The trouble is financial planning, debt and a have it today culture pushed by star struck populations and media don't bode well together, and don't sell papers or gain viewing figures for the TV.

DH and I are the only people we know who have plans to retire early and no interest in spunking money on stuff. To find like-minded people to chat to and exchange ideas we have to use the internet. We don't even talk about it with friends anymore.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure