Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • George.jh
    • By George.jh 12th Feb 18, 7:08 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    George.jh
    Work blaming me for something I couldn’t avoid!
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:08 AM
    Work blaming me for something I couldn’t avoid! 12th Feb 18 at 7:08 AM
    So I wake up at 5:30am for work get read to leave and gone by 5:50am to where I get picked up by a colleague which my work place know about as they arranged it. Unfortunately he never informed me he wasnted going to be in on that day. So I waited until 6:30 which is when I start work and decided to walk back home, once there I called my boss and she’s saying it’s my fault and it’s my responsibility to get to work and won’t let me have it as a holiday? Firstly I know it is my responsibility but when the person that takes me to work doesn’t turn up what can I do? I called family and friends but they were either asleep or at work. If I knew he wasn’t coming I would of arranged a lift not walk to the pick up point and wait for half hour.

Where do I stand or is my boss right even tho considering the circumstances I was in ?

Thank you
Page 3
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 15th Feb 18, 11:33 AM
    • 2,779 Posts
    • 3,987 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    Whilst I agree it's the employee's duty to get to work, it does seem a little unfair given that you were honest by phoning work up when you could have easily claimed sickness.
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    Companies have policies for managing sickness, both real and imaginary. Furthermore, sickness, even if it's totally genuine, isn't a get out of jail free card - a company is perfectly within its rights, and the law, to terminate your employment because of it.
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 16th Feb 18, 6:57 AM
    • 1,307 Posts
    • 4,660 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    Blimey! I clearly take far too long in the morning!
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 16th Feb 18, 7:00 AM
    • 3,493 Posts
    • 6,712 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Blimey! I clearly take far too long in the morning!
    Originally posted by Lioness Twinkletoes
    I think it's all blokes who can do these things in seconds rather than minutes, Lioness... Wonder how long they would take if they had to put on make up?
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 16th Feb 18, 7:59 AM
    • 1,180 Posts
    • 1,296 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Companies have policies for managing sickness, both real and imaginary. Furthermore, sickness, even if it's totally genuine, isn't a get out of jail free card - a company is perfectly within its rights, and the law, to terminate your employment because of it.
    Originally posted by ReadingTim
    Yeh, cheers for that
    Last edited by bertiewhite; 16-02-2018 at 8:37 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,421Posts Today

8,990Users online

Martin's Twitter