Best oven chips?

Comments

• PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Bacman wrote: »
    Why bother with oven chips? It is simple enough to chip potatoes, toss in some vegetable oil, lightly coat with salt and pepper and put onto the same baking paper and tray you'd do anyway! Make your own, it's cheaper and also you don't have any preservatives added. Healthier too.

Tip - if you look at vegetable oil's ingredients there is only one - rapeseed oil, 100%. That means you can use rapeseed oil and buy it far far cheaper than if it says it on the front of the label.

I would add after chipping wash them well then pat dry before the oil.
  • I'm very partial to Tesco Finest Chunky Oven Chips done in an Actifry for 22 minutes with a teaspoon of goose fat. A 1.5kg bag is £2.50, which is expensive but worth it.
    100% debt free
    House - bought and paid for
    Contents - bought and paid for

:beer:
    £12k in '12 No.198: £12,554/£12,000
  • If you like chips with a spicy coating, McCain PeriPeri chips are tasty.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,890 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    pws52 wrote: »
    I am thinking of using these but am wondering which brand to buy.
    Looking for recommendations....thank you.

Your own brand.

Peel potatoes, chip them, rinse in water to get the starch out, coat them in whatever herb, spic, rub you want or leave them plain.

Toss in oil and bake.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Although I mentioned above how easy it is to make your own chips, personally I use a Tefal Actifry as it uses only about a tablespoon of oil for enough chips for two people. It means little oil, so healthy chips. They taste very nice too. I add some dried herbs and salt before they cook (takes about 40 minutes in the cooker), or paprika and chilli flakes. Lovely!

The chip stirrer broke a year ago when I dropped it, and the side protectors broke their hinge a while back however unit still works fine - cost about £150 to buy the unit and i'm still using the same one I got 5 years ago, so proved a good investment.

If you want healthy chips, you won't regret getting an Actifry.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    suki1964 wrote: »
    If Im buying oven chips I do like Lidls deluxe chunky chips made with Marie Piper potatoes. They are huge, you only need a few but they are delicious

I tried them once and can't say I was sold on them, they seemed to take forever (maybe because they are big) to cook.

I do like Mccain Home Chips. I also dont stick to 1 brand or style as I mix it up. I only have an oven so the french fries are either cooked too much or not enough. Mccain rustic fries are ok.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Bacman wrote: »
    Although I mentioned above how easy it is to make your own chips, personally I use a Tefal Actifry as it uses only about a tablespoon of oil for enough chips for two people. It means little oil, so healthy chips. They taste very nice too. I add some dried herbs and salt before they cook (takes about 40 minutes in the cooker), or paprika and chilli flakes. Lovely!

The chip stirrer broke a year ago when I dropped it, and the side protectors broke their hinge a while back however unit still works fine - cost about £150 to buy the unit and i'm still using the same one I got 5 years ago, so proved a good investment.

If you want healthy chips, you won't regret getting an Actifry.

Better still buy a chip pan and have proper chips once in a blue moon

We do. Maybe once a fortnight ( tonight as it happens) Proper chips and hand battered fresh fish can’t be beat

We don’t eat takeaways and ready meals so real fish and chips is a treat and is treated as such.

And omg it’s so much nicer then oven this and oven that :)
  • pws52
    pws52 Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you for the replies.

I do make my own chips but don’t make them too often.😉

I wanted recommendations for frozen chips which I could use when I don’t have fresh potatoes.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    sarah1972 wrote: »
    Your own brand.

Peel potatoes, chip them, rinse in water to get the starch out, coat them in whatever herb, spic, rub you want or leave them plain.

Toss in oil and bake.

Peel potatoes?! Why go to extra hassle to remove the tasty bits? :p
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    aunt bessie - either crinkle cut or straight cut
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income