Fixing Today for a Brighter Tomorrow!

Comments

• Good luck on your journey and with your exam! Subscribing to your diary :)
  • Starmummy
    Starmummy Posts: 537 Forumite
    Good luck with your exam. I'm sure you'll smash it.

I'm studying for professional qualifications too. It's hard work but rewarding and there's a pay rise at the end of it to keep me motivated.
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 £9,788.01/£12,618.12 :( (Total debt at LBM 1st Jan '18 c..£19.5k)
    EF/FIT savings £97.24 Other Savings £12.17 House Deposit £4,762.64/£20,000 23.8% :D
  • Good luck for the exam! Hope it goes/went well :)
    Debts: CC1: [STRIKE]£1675.83[/STRIKE] £2269.40 CC2: [STRIKE]£3209.11[/STRIKE] £707.56 CC3:[STRIKE]£704.04[/STRIKE] £235.69 OWE PARTNER: £0
    2020 1% Challenge:
  • Thanks for all your kind well wishes for my exam. I am happy to say I survived! Three hours is a long time in a hot classroom and I felt like my hand was going to drop off by the end. It was a tough exam but I think I've done enough to pass which is the main thing. Now just to wait until October for the results…

I got back from my holiday which was absolutely gorgeous on Saturday. The UK is a beautiful place to holiday, when you've got the weather on your side. It also meant that many of our activities were free - it costs nothing to lie on a beach!

I guess you're all wondering how I did with my spending challenge? I've got to say, I'm really pleased with myself.

Budget:
    Food: £50 (this is my usual weekly food shop)
    Activities: £100
    Total: £150

Actual:
    Food: £65.17
    Activities: £98.46
    Total: £163.63

So slightly over. But not by too much. I think the food shopping was uplifted by buying extras such as toothpaste, after sun and ice to try and keep things cool!

I've got a couple of expenses coming up - getting a bridesmaid dress altered, wedding gifts to purchase and a friend in a play that I want to get tickets for. Just about to start divvying up next months pay to make sure these things are all covered before I work out my monthly budget. No credit card emergencies for me. Maybe I am learning something?

Speak soon,
    SaF x
  • SavingAFuture
    SavingAFuture Posts: 141 Forumite
    edited 27 July 2018 at 9:06AM
    Does anyone else feel like they are just waiting for pay day to come round? I can't wait to pay off the next chunk of my credit card debt and mark it on my spreadsheet and my 100 square!
  • pidge04
    pidge04 Posts: 792 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Definitely always waiting for pay day to come along!
    Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Another one always waiting for payday!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • SavingAFuture
    SavingAFuture Posts: 141 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2018 at 3:53PM
    pidge04 wrote: »
    Definitely always waiting for pay day to come along!

Glad I am not alone!

Finally, pay day is upon us! I love moving all my money around when it comes in at the end of the month.
    I've paid £200 off my credit card debt this morning, plus put my rent and bills money into the joint account and a little bit away for the wedding. Feels GOOD.

I can specifically tell you that the £200 paid for perfume (that's long since run out), drinks in a New York Bar and one night in a New York Hotel. All from OVER a year ago. I'm still cross with myself for being so flippant about debt and credit cards. Having not used one since June 2017 I don't understand how I'd become so reliant. Scary. I never want to go back to thinking that way. I've reset my relationship with money and while it's much harder, it's ultimately so much more rewarding.

I don't much like just waiting for pay day to come round to keep working at my debt, so this month I am going to have a think if there's any way I can save a little bit here and there to make additional payments, or if I can raise some additional funds (thinking eBay perhaps?)

I'll keep checking in with progress.

Best wishes,
    SaFx

P.s. - Just realised this means I can update my signature!
  • I have joined my first challenge. Aiming for 12 NSDs during August. I managed yesterday really well - took lunch to work and stayed in watching a Netflix movie instead of cinema.

Today won't be a NSD because I am getting my hair done. It really needs a trim!
    Then tomorrow and the weekend won't be either as I'm attending a friend's wedding (as a bridesmaid!). I've never been a bridesmaid before so I am super excited. Must make sure I don't go too wild at the bar...

Will check in again soon,
    SaF x
  • I've just signed up for a Monzo account. I think it will be really useful for me to have my spending money in a completely separate place to my bills so I can see exactly how much I have left to spend instead of estimating. Then I can allocate my pocket money weekly and keep tabs on my frivolous ways!

Is anyone else doing this, and it is a success?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure