Cannot leave a negative review on ebay?

Options
Purchased an item recently, the item received was different to the photo and very low quality compared to the one in the photo.

Trawled through the sellers feedback searching for the items title and found several negative comments on the quality of this item. Used to be far easier but now its quite a chore to find feedback on a particular item.

Noticed there were no reviews, so wrote a review being careful to only mention the product itself and nothing about feedback or others saying the item is rubbish. Just short facts about the items quality and also uploaded photo's. The item still says be the first to leave a review on this item.

Why wont my review publish? Do sellers get to censor reviews?

Thanks
Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've never left a review so I don't know how it works, could it perhaps need to be overseen before it is added to the product details I wonder?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    I do not understand how reviews work. I have left one and it appeared on the same item for another seller (I did not buy from that seller) but doesn't appear on the item I purchased from the seller I purchased.
  • soolin
    Options
    I do not understand how reviews work. I have left one and it appeared on the same item for another seller (I did not buy from that seller) but doesn't appear on the item I purchased from the seller I purchased.

The review once left appears on all of that item, regardless of seller. It's like the Amazon one and sellers then sell with that review showing.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Camster
    Camster Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It might be helpful to check one of the buyer discussion boards on Ebay for advice on this:

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Buying-on-eBay/ct-p/11900000098
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    The review once left appears on all of that item, regardless of seller. It's like the Amazon one and sellers then sell with that review showing.

You would think so, but this one doesn't.
  • soolin
    Options
    You would think so, but this one doesn't.

Ah but this is eBay and it's probably broken again :D
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If it left a review on similar items from other sellers then that would be totally unfair to sellers with decent quality products of the same name.

The gadget in the photo was red and had certain features, the item that arrived was black and did not have the features listed, and very poorly made.

It has been a good few days since reviewing the item so i doubt its about being vetted before being published.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• soolin
    Options
    If it left a review on similar items from other sellers then that would be totally unfair to sellers with decent quality products of the same name.

The gadget in the photo was red and had certain features, the item that arrived was black and did not have the features listed, and very poorly made.

It has been a good few days since reviewing the item so i doubt its about being vetted before being published.

The review should be about the item being sold , I wonder if eBay considered that you were reviewing the 'wrong' item (if that's what the seller sent you) rather than the item listed in the catalogue.
  • askmeaboutsofas
    Options
    Is it also possible that the seller removed the EAN/Barcode from their listing after seeing OP's review? If they did that, any connected reviews wouldn't appear on their listing - especially if they replaced it with a different barcode.
    Well informed on the subjects of sofas and wood furniture, and well opinionated on everything else :rotfl:
  • ontheup1972
    Options
    Basically feedback is for individual sellers but the product reviews are for the actual product not the seller/s of it.

So if you leave a product review it (in theory) should show up on every listing by every seller of that product with a matching EAN.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure