Fixing Today for a Brighter Tomorrow!

Options

Comments

• ftbwannabe
    Options
    Sounds like a useful moment of realisation re spending double on going out with your partner. I've been that person (the one saying 'it's on me!' and the one saying 'erm, you need to buy your own') and I've also been the person saying yes to things I can't afford because i don't want my partner to feel like I'm restricting his options. Money is so emotional!
    I suspect you & I both imagine or worry about what our partner's thinking in these situations, when actually they don't mind. And/or they'll get used to it. We're going to spend the rest of our time with these people, so being able to be level-headed about spending with them is important. But also really flipping hard!!
    Starting debt (Aug 2018) £17,900
    Debt free September 2021
  • s1n25
    s1n25 Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    Keep up the good work!!
    I'm in a similar position started by debt free diary in Aug, wanting to get rid of my debt before starting to save for the big day!!
    Reading your diary has made me realise I'm not doing this alone and there are other people in the same situation! I was struggling with saying No to my partner if he suggested going out for food, or going for a 'few' drinks ended up with me being £70 down by the end of the night.

I have a similar budget for our wedding, I'm hoping to book a venue at the end of this month. Currently it's stressing me out! thinking about spending £10-15k on one day!!

Money, debts & wedding saving.. it's stressful!!

Good Luck! I look forward to seeing your updates and progress :)
    Debt Free Diary..."Start of a new chapter"
    Nov: Unsecured Debt : £2,900.. Bring your lunch to work 1/18..NSD challenge 5/20

• SavingAFuture
    Options
    ftbwannabe wrote: »
    Sounds like a useful moment of realisation re spending double on going out with your partner. I've been that person (the one saying 'it's on me!' and the one saying 'erm, you need to buy your own') and I've also been the person saying yes to things I can't afford because i don't want my partner to feel like I'm restricting his options. Money is so emotional!
    I suspect you & I both imagine or worry about what our partner's thinking in these situations, when actually they don't mind. And/or they'll get used to it. We're going to spend the rest of our time with these people, so being able to be level-headed about spending with them is important. But also really flipping hard!!

That's exactly it. Money can be really emotional! I need to learn to detach and realise that my OH won't think I love him less if I can't buy him stuff anymore, or if I ask him to contribute!
    Thank you for making me see my feelings aren't crazy :)
  • SavingAFuture
    Options
    s1n25 wrote: »
    Keep up the good work!!

I have a similar budget for our wedding, I'm hoping to book a venue at the end of this month. Currently it's stressing me out! thinking about spending £10-15k on one day!!

Money, debts & wedding saving.. it's stressful!!

Good Luck! I look forward to seeing your updates and progress :)

You are definitely not alone!

I have got much better at saying "no" but it's so hard, isn’t it?
    Mostly because I probably DO want to go to the pub/out for dinner really…

I totally agree re: spending that much on one day. We've gone back and forth about it, but ultimately decided that if we can afford to pay for it in full, we can have it.

I am so glad I started this diary. It makes me feel like I'm getting ever closer to the magical debt free day, and it's lovely to have your support :)

All the best,
    SaF x
  • Working_Mum
    Options
    Money open sup all sorts of emotions I have found!!

I read a really cool book called "5 Love Languages" by Gary Chapman - it is very Americanised but the core messages are really super simple to understand. Basically there are 5 LL:-

* physical touch
    * words of affirmation
    * quality time
    * acts of service
    * gifts

I am a "quality time" gal so presents etc don't impress me but if I was a "gifts" kind of person I would need physical things!

Once you work out what your person is it is really easy to target love towards them in exactly the right kind of way.
  • SavingAFuture
    Options

I am a "quality time" gal so presents etc don't impress me but if I was a "gifts" kind of person I would need physical things!

Once you work out what your person is it is really easy to target love towards them in exactly the right kind of way.

That sounds really interesting! I love a good book. I might have to see if I can track it down, at a good price of course :rotfl:

I'm the same, "stuff" doesn't impress me but time and acts of kindness (like bringing me a cup of tea in the morning) mean all the world.
  • pidge04
    pidge04 Posts: 792 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just caught up with your diary. You are doing so well. Which month will be debt free in next year?
    Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.
  • SavingAFuture
    Options
    Thanks pidge! It doesn't always feel like I'm achieving much day-to-day so I'm glad you can see improvement!

My debt free date for the credit cards is (optimistically) April 2019. I then have a bit of an overdraft to pick off too (I haven't really posted about that yet - tackling one thing at a time seems to work for me) so I am aiming for August 2019. With a wedding in the middle :rotfl:

One day at a time... :)
  • SavingAFuture
    Options
    Hurrah for pay day! It’s time for the monthly money shuffle.
    Since beginning my debt free plans, I've become a little bit obsessed with my finances. I don't think that's a bad thing though. I am so much more aware of what I owe, and where, and how much interest I'm being charged for different things. I never used to think about it much.

So, for today, I've managed to scrimp a little extra and pay off £300 towards my CC debt. This has now paid off a dinner & wine tasting for my Mum's Birthday from July 2017 (another one where I was guilty of paying for EVERYONE and acting all generous - stupid!) and theatre tickets from seeing Chicago in New York, June 2017. Sadly, I was a bit disappointed with the show so I am very glad to have that one cleared. It was causing me pain every time I looked at it!

I've popped my pocket money over to my M0nz0. I think September has potential to be an expensive month - there's a wedding, two birthdays, a family camping trip and a social night out. I will need to watch the budget very carefully. I think I've considered everything and put the money aside for all of these activities. I'm planning to make myself the designated driver for the month so I can save on travel and alcohol!
  • SavingAFuture
    Options
    I am nervous about doing this but I have decided to take money out of my wedding savings to pay my car insurance IN FULL for I think the first time ever. I will then pay this back to myself at £30 per month in place of the direct debit I used to pay to an insurance company. This way I won't be charged the extra for monthly payments and I will have paid back almost all of it before the wedding. As I said, this does make me nervous as I'll have to keep very focused to pay it back to myself and not just spend the difference, but I do feel that my self-control is so much better than it used to be and it's a good plan.
    It will save me around £70 over the course of the year so definitely worthwhile.

This feels like progress.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport