Slow puncture saga

Options
Hi All,

My rear drivers side tyre kept triggering the tyre pressure warning system.

I checked the tyre and it had a small nail in it. Went to a good Indy garage and for £12ish they repaired it. Fast forward a few days, TPS triggers saying tyres flat.

I went and got some air it was 25psi not 34, I assumed the garage may have not put enough air in them. Fast forward a couple of days and it’s down to 15psi, I have just topped it up and put some soapy water on the value, the repair area and the outside rim, no bubbling.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi All,

My rear drivers side tyre kept triggering the tyre pressure warning system.

I checked the tyre and it had a small nail in it. Went to a good Indy garage and for £12ish they repaired it. Fast forward a few days, TPS triggers saying tyres flat.

I went and got some air it was 25psi not 34, I assumed the garage may have not put enough air in them. Fast forward a couple of days and it’s down to 15psi, I have just topped it up and put some soapy water on the value, the repair area and the outside rim, no bubbling.

Any ideas?

Thanks

They didn't repair the puncture.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Poor repair, or there's another nail they missed (been there too)
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I have just topped it up and put some soapy water on the value, the repair area and the outside rim, no bubbling.
    Checked the inside rim? Corroded alloys?
  • owen_money
    owen_money Posts: 764 Forumite
    Options
    As above, check the rim then put a new tyre on, dont be a cheap skate. Why risk your life on a repaired tyre? You cant take the £50 you saved with you..............................
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
  • consumers_revenge
    Options
    Checked the inside rim? Corroded alloys?

Exactly the reason mine was leaking, always assumed it was a nail.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    owen_money wrote: »
    As above, check the rim then put a new tyre on, dont be a cheap skate. Why risk your life on a repaired tyre? You cant take the £50 you saved with you..............................
    Nothing dangerous about a repaired tyre.
    In fact how many deaths do you think are even caused by one
  • owen_money
    owen_money Posts: 764 Forumite
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    Nothing dangerous about a repaired tyre.
    In fact how many deaths do you think are even caused by one

in the UK last year 47. Just put a new tyre on, dont risk yours or others lives
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    owen_money wrote: »
    in the UK last year 47. Just put a new tyre on, dont risk yours or others lives

Where do you get that figure from relating to repaired tyres? I can't even see tyre repair being a cause in the statistics:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/tyre-related-deaths-and-injuries-preventable-say-highways-england-and-bridgestone
  • Brummie85
    Brummie85 Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    As already mentioned, if your wheel is corroded or damaged, it may not seal correctly and could cause a leak.

It could also be that you are unfortunate and have a 2nd leak spot on the tyre, that is either new or wasn't repaired with the nail hole that you spotted.

I'd go back to the garage and politely ask them to investigate for you. Or if you can do without the car for a weekend, take th wheel off yourself and give it a more thorough looking at. A good indy will do this, a bad one will get the hump and believe you are accusing them of poor work straight away.

Tyre repairs are a funny subject. They can be done, there is a standard for it and many people have their tyres repaired. But on a personal level, I don't know anyone that carries it out. I have no way of judging the quality of the repair and therefore I'd only have a wheel repaired and put back on as a desperate and short term measure.The next morning I'd be of looking for a new tyre.

Part worns are a similar beast. I've had to get two new front tyres for my car over the weekend and also went to an Indy. They offered me OEM quality part worns for less then 1/2 the price of the new tyres I chose. But there isn't enough money off or promises of quality that could reassure me enough about a used tyre. But the things that connect you to the road as well as brakes really aren't areas you should scrimp too hard at.
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    Only 47 deaths? I like those odds.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business