PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Comments

• mattpaint
    mattpaint Posts: 294 Forumite
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

Whether posting as a 'remainer' or an 'accepting leaver' makes little difference, but there's definitely plenty of evidence to support the point made ...
    ... there are plenty within the Eurocracy, the UK political system, the UK public sector & various lobbing groups that have been stirring up a storm and playing any delay card they can in hope of raising anxiety levels as deadlines approach in the belief that everyone will panic and surrender to their particular viewpoint ... of course, if much that could easily be agreed had already been agreed, then their argument would be so much more difficult ... that's the reason why everything is made to look difficult!

The rate of progress for negotiations & the level of difficulties involved is dictated by those that agree least with what's being negotiated ... if there's a deadline then it's pretty normal for little to happen until it approaches as it suits the side that accept the process the least ... in the case of Brexit that'd be the EU & those still in denial ...

HTH
    Z

I'm very sorry but this becomes more bizarre by the second. Before Brexit all but two national newspapers pushed for leaving and furthered the picture that the leavers were painting of how this would be a glorious, magnificent event unrivalled in British history. Anyone pointing out the downsides was told that wouldn't happen and overnight we lost billions from our economy and slipped down the world rankings.

Now those same newspapers are reporting on the very real concerns about how Brexit is being handled and what it will mean in actuality and they're accused of scaremongering and trying to put it off? They still want Brexit, but all the brilliant plans leavers claimed to have don't exist. Leavers need to deliver - not blame their own deficiencies on remainers who are only pointing out this is an act of self-mutilation not seen before.

I ask everyone defending Brexit the same thing - how many job losses are acceptable? How much should our economy collapse before it becomes unacceptable?
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    mattpaint wrote: »
    I'm very sorry but this becomes more bizarre by the second. Before Brexit all but two national newspapers pushed for leaving and furthered the picture that the leavers were painting of how this would be a glorious, magnificent event unrivalled in British history. Anyone pointing out the downsides was told that wouldn't happen and overnight we lost billions from our economy and slipped down the world rankings.

Now those same newspapers are reporting on the very real concerns about how Brexit is being handled and what it will mean in actuality and they're accused of scaremongering and trying to put it off? They still want Brexit, but all the brilliant plans leavers claimed to have don't exist. Leavers need to deliver - not blame their own deficiencies on remainers who are only pointing out this is an act of self-mutilation not seen before.

I ask everyone defending Brexit the same thing - how many job losses are acceptable? How much should our economy collapse before it becomes unacceptable?
    Hi

... and that's irrelevant simply because your argument is totally based on division and not accepting that the decision that has been made has actually been made ... whether you're fretting about leaving or simply stirring that storm in a teacup is really your own concern ... may I respectfully inform you that this thread is not for pseudo-politics, weeping denial or deep-seated trolling about Brexit, it's one for individuals who couldn't really give a flying-fig for what happened as it's now effectively history & simply look to discuss areas which are more likely to require changes to a general personal contingency plan (ie 'prepping' for an unknown event) in order to encompass issues that are more likely to happen as a result of the UK leaving the EU in a few months time!

Thank you for your interest, but any old newspapers in our home have already been allocated an alternative use within our own plan, and it's not re-reading!

Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • maryb wrote: »
    That may well be the case in normal times but where is the harm in asking if he will do it to cover Brexit day? At the very least it will concentrate his mind

He won't. Don't know if I'm not explaining this very well but he won't do anything other than issue a prescription for 8 weeks of tablets every 8 weeks. I've asked, he won't do it hence I am hoping the advice the govt are supposed to be issuing this month will clarify the situation.

I used to get a six month prescription which was dispensed in 8 week batches, this has stopped. I have no idea why, I wonder if it is a budget issue for the surgery as I can't see any other reason. We do have a crisis locally with a shortage of doctors and our local surgery being taken our by a larger practice some distance away as it used to be a 3 doctor practice and 2 retired and the remaining doctor just couldn't run it himself. Healthcare is in crisis quite apart from any Brexit complications.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 August 2018 at 12:50PM
    He won't. Don't know if I'm not explaining this very well but he won't do anything other than issue a prescription for 8 weeks of tablets every 8 weeks. I've asked, he won't do it hence I am hoping the advice the govt are supposed to be issuing this month will clarify the situation.

I used to get a six month prescription which was dispensed in 8 week batches, this has stopped. I have no idea why, I wonder if it is a budget issue for the surgery as I can't see any other reason. We do have a crisis locally with a shortage of doctors and our local surgery being taken our by a larger practice some distance away as it used to be a 3 doctor practice and 2 retired and the remaining doctor just couldn't run it himself. Healthcare is in crisis quite apart from any Brexit complications.
    Hi

Don't know whether this will help relieve the anxiety, but have you tried to find out where the medication is manufactured as there's a fair chance that it'll be in the UK ...

The government themselves don't seem to anticipate much of a problem, however it does look like there'll be a forward-build of contingency stocks for the NHS to cover issues at changeover.

Maybe this would be of interest, it probably won't help at an individual level, but it does provide a view of what the industry itself believes the general position to be ... https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmbeis/382/38205.htm ... (2/16)
    16.The World Trade Organisation's Pharmaceutical Tariff Elimination Agreement means that relying on WTO rules in the event of a 'no deal' scenario would not have as significant impact on the pharmaceutical sector as for other sectors that Committee has considered. However, there are still significant concerns that it could injure the UK's position as a manufacturing base, a global supply hub and as a manufacturer and recipient of new and innovative medicines ...
    HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • The purpose of this thread isn't to score points off each other defending political stances or the reporting of Brexit n the media by people who only want to sell papers.

The purpose of this thread is to try and make the transition between pre Brexit life and post Brexit life as bearable as we can make it. Start another thread for the purpose of points scoring if you must, start another thread for the people who are feeling so very angry and vengeful that the vote was YES and not the no they wanted BUT please just leave this one for people who actually want to make their lives as good as they can once the end of March next year has gone and we see what we've got left as life in the UK!

If you want to argue all of you, please find your own space to do it in!

Thank you!
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 August 2018 at 2:38PM

I used to get a six month prescription which was dispensed in 8 week batches, this has stopped. I have no idea why, I wonder if it is a budget issue for the surgery as I can't see any other reason.

Much of the changes in prescription issuing (no longer giving 6 monthly prescriptions; and in our area, at least, stopping the pharmacies ordering repeat prescriptions) is to do with trying to reduce the wastage of medicines. Often 6 monthly prescriptions would be issued only for something to change halfway through, and then the original prescriptions would be wasted as they can't be re-used by the pharmacy. My pharmacist also said that a lot of people were requesting automatic ordering of prescriptions and then not pick them up (for a variety of reasons - sometimes death, sadly).
    I now have to re-order my own prescription on a monthly basis, although I can then have it sent to a designated pharmacy (or I could choose to pick it up in person to take elsewhere). Although I appreciate this system can be a little less convenient for some, in effect I can build up a small stash of medicine by requesting my prescription a few days earlier each month. By the way, I believe the pharmacy can still order in certain cases but it has to be requested specifically.
    I too don't really care who voted in/out/or if they shook it all about and abstained - we now just have to get on with life in the best way we believe suits ourselves. I stockpile most autumns/winters as I am not always steady on my feet and don't want to go out if it is icy. I like to think that if I have a few tins of tomatoes, a couple of onions and some pasta or rice, I have the basis of a reasonably satisfying meal - just add whatever protein is available. So tomatoes and baked beans are always a staple for me. Not so much tinned veg. but taking previous posters' advice I will add them in, even if only to make soup. Bread flour and dried yeast will also be put by, along with some tinned pulses. But my "apocalypse cupboard" (as my children call it) won't be much bigger for Brexit than for normal preparations. The other thing I am good at is being adaptable to whatever is in the supermarket, rather than going in with a fixed idea of what I want, so learning some new recipes with more seasonal, local produce could also be good preparation.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Hear Hear MrsL. There's nothing as boring as listening to two sides arguing continuously over and over the same stuff.
    People - buy tinned carrots now. The UK carrot harvest is currently down 55% on normal and the price this winter will go higher yet. Likewise onions, broccoli and cauliflower.
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Well said MrsL !
    I wanted to join this thread as the original prepping thread has been going for such a long time. I'm sure I would be welcome but I thought I would join here instead as it's new and suited me. However I do not want to hear about who said what with much hand wringing and the woes to come, with or without any evidence. We've voted so now we need to get on with things and as I'm not interested in a re-run, I shall ignore the political posts. I feel sorry for the OP as this thread has been hijacked and I'm sure this was not what they intended.

I'm always looking for new ideas for prepping and I'm willing to keep on learning - you are never too old for that. So I shall keep reading along and dip in and out, if you don't mind.
    Thanks nan
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    mardatha wrote: »
    Hear Hear MrsL. There's nothing as boring as listening to two sides arguing continuously over and over the same stuff.
    People - buy tinned carrots now. The UK carrot harvest is currently down 55% on normal and the price this winter will go higher yet. Likewise onions, broccoli and cauliflower.

I grown my own carrots broccoli cauliflowers onions shallots potatoes and sprouts turnips parsnips and a few more I can't remember. They are either stored carefully or frozen and have enough to last a year. I have never eaten a tinned carrot! I am laughing myself silly with someone telling us to buy tinned carrots now.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 8 August 2018 at 3:33PM
    I think that one of the best ways we can prepare for the future is to take a clear eyed look back at the past to see how people lived their lives before we had the welfare state, before we got to the point where we'd become accustomed to buying everything we need and forgot how to do things for ourselves. I know there will be eyebrows raised and voices saying 'please...it's not wartime now etc.' but I'm thinking to look back further than the last century just to see how life was made as easy and comfortable as people could make it without modern conveniences.

My forebears were Swedish peasant farmers and I know in the winter one way of making sure families were fed was to have porridge for breakfast and also for supper before having bread and cheese and whatever was available in the fruit and veg line depending on what time of year it was. The porridge wasn't always oatmeal but sometimes was rice porridge which is very nice and cheap to make and very filling. It can be served sweet with a knob of butter and cinnamon sugar, with cherry/blueberry/lingonberry/cranberry jam or compote, with fresh berries and cream or served savoury with just the butter and some salt. Porridge can be made with most grains, pearl barley or pearled spelt can be used, rye flakes, semolina, rice, oats, even bulgur wheat can be used with water and milk to make a satisfying and nutritious meal and IF there are shortages or the food chain is disrupted and imports are scarce and the farming community here in the UK isn't able to supply all our needs then there are worse ways of staving off hunger than by making a good bowl of porridge.

If there aren't carrots available to buy fresh and you want carrots then tins keep forever and a day and you'll still have carrots in your dishes. If the price of fresh produce spirals because there has been a problem with the crop then your tinned carrots may be the only way you get carrots if you aren't lucky enough to be able to grow them yourself.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback