Everyone knowing why i was off

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    So I go back to work and other, slightly more immature staff are taking the p*** out of me because of my 'illness' .

You've not shared the reason with us, and I don't want to know. But, why are you letting what the others say bother you?
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    edited 9 December 2018 at 4:01PM
    gomer wrote: »
    Blimey. Talk about off topic. How on earth did rape come into this??

I have a feeling I might wish I didn't ask.

Ah apologies, it is a very sensitive topic for some.

It was basically pointing out that I could picture the same conversation that Sangie posted happening but replacing the phrase "shared my confidential information" with the R word.

Basically, there existing a possibility that a genuine victim of X is ignored completely and marginalised because nobody wants to deal with it.

The only real issue would be whether or not there's a possibility that OP has mis-read the situation completely, and the information was leaked from another source. But if OP is right then they shouldn't be made to feel marginalised.

EDIT: Of course, in terms of "employment rights" there may not exist many even if the above is true. So, one aspect of Sangie's post I agree with is the question of what outcome OP would like.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    That went somewhere I didn't anticipate. To be clear - I was not talking about rape or a serious sexual assault and I have no idea where that came from. I can't win today- I'm slagged off for telling someone that if they withdraw a grievance about an alleged sexual assault then it won't be dealt with by the employer, and then criticised again for some comparison to rape that I never made. I seriously don't know why I bother posting at all.

My point was that if the OP thinks that the matter is serious and they have evidence to support escalating it, then that's what they need to do. But if they escalate it the need too be clear that there can be unintended results from making allegations based on no evidence. Up too them whether it's that important or not. If the manager Godspeed about a dose of the runs, I'd be annoyed but leave it. If it were more important to me, I possibly wouldn't.
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I hope it wasn't flatulence.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    I did say " If the OP can be certain the only source of the leak is that manager..." but once again you choose to ignore that despite quoting my post.
    No I did not choose to ignore it. I chose to point out that unless the OP has a specific outcome in mind and that is the only thing that will satisfy them, there could be consequences for pressing this matter. It wouldn't be the first time that an employer has come down on the side of a manager even if there is proof, or strong assumption. My point was that unless it's critical to the OP, sometimes choosing to ignore things can be the more strategic path. It's annoying and embarrassing and unprofessional if the manager did share the information - but it also isn't business critical, and if it were then it would be the employers concern, not the OPs.
  • Les79 wrote: »
    Ah apologies, it is a very sensitive topic for some

Rape...a sensitive subject...for some.:eek:

Id imagine its quite sensitive for the 179,000 reported rapes this year alone...id hazard a guess the victims might describe it as slightly more than sensitive and im sure each and everyone of them would shake your hand and thank you for your heart felt apology.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    I'd be raising a grievance , our company rules are very specific about what can and can't be shared. The managers aren't even allowed to ask and medical certs, self certify or otherwise go direct to HR.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Les79 wrote: »
    Ah apologies, it is a very sensitive topic for some.

It was basically pointing out that I could picture the same conversation that Sangie posted happening but replacing the phrase "shared my confidential information" with the R word.

Basically, there existing a possibility that a genuine victim of X is ignored completely and marginalised because nobody wants to deal with it.

The only real issue would be whether or not there's a possibility that OP has mis-read the situation completely, and the information was leaked from another source. But if OP is right then they shouldn't be made to feel marginalised.

EDIT: Of course, in terms of "employment rights" there may not exist many even if the above is true. So, one aspect of Sangie's post I agree with is the question of what outcome OP would like.

Thanks for the explanation but I'm really not sure it was a very appropriate analogy in any context. Seriously !!!!!! dude??
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Rape...a sensitive subject...for some.:eek:

Id imagine its quite sensitive for the 179,000 reported rapes this year alone...id hazard a guess the victims might describe it as slightly more than sensitive and im sure each and everyone of them would shake your hand and thank you for your heart felt apology.

Incredibly sensitive, and I know, because it's something I've experienced personally.

And I know what it's like to tell a manager at work, knowing full well they shouldn't be divulging personal information, for them to repay you by blabbing to someone you get on with at work but didn't want them to know because having to live with it, day in, day out is hard enough to deal with as it is.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    sangie595 wrote: »
    That went somewhere I didn't anticipate. To be clear - I was not talking about rape or a serious sexual assault and I have no idea where that came from.

It just struck me as reminiscent of what some women in the past have said in regards to rape/sexual assaults. Notably, famous people and the recent #MeToo stuff..

Direct boss denies it, their boss supports your boss and then you end up getting penalised and marginalised for the whole thing.

It is always a sensitive topic "rape", but your example did strike a chord with me in regards to the similarities.

I can't win today- I'm slagged off for telling someone that if they withdraw a grievance about an alleged sexual assault then it won't be dealt with by the employer, and then criticised again for some comparison to rape that I never made. I seriously don't know why I bother posting at all.
    1. I had nothing to do with the first incident.

2. I think you asked some useful questions to OP. Your example, whilst having some truth element to it, struck a chord with me and I think it is quite heavy because, in another scenario, it would be inappropriate to treat someone like that.

Take the comments on the chin! And rejoice in the fact that someone has probably reported me for using the "R" word on the forum and I'll be facing either a 2 week ban or a PPR :D

My point was that if the OP thinks that the matter is serious and they have evidence to support escalating it, then that's what they need to do. But if they escalate it the need too be clear that there can be unintended results from making allegations based on no evidence. Up too them whether it's that important or not. If the manager Godspeed about a dose of the runs, I'd be annoyed but leave it. If it were more important to me, I possibly wouldn't.
    True true.

I suppose my point was more about how I feel that your example (which I admit is likely something you'd encounter in employment) marginalises people. I wasn't having a go at YOU per se, but people who employ that sort of mindset.

If no evidence exists then fair enough, but the only difference between a rape charge and a "my employer told people confidential information" is merely the people who take on your case. The police in a rape situation will build up a (hopefully unbiased) case whereas the employer, as you rightly suggest, can be a bit biased. Horribly unfair in the grand scheme of things.

I'm going to look into Unions over the next week or so, because I do find this sort of thing a tad disappointing and wonder why more isn't done to help people like OP. Notably, why is it that OP ends up on the short end of the stick and has little recourse?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure