Suspended from work

Hi all,

Just came into collect a parcel from work ( am on holiday at the moment ) and been told that I have been suspended from work pending an investigation

I work as a fundraiser ( involved in grant funding ) and been told its down to funding that was due to arrive but has not yet and asked if I knew any that were outstanding? - I replied that we have a number so without specifics its very difficult to say

They have said that I am suspended on full pay and will get a letter out to me today with a date on it to attend

So a few questions on this

- Can this meeting be when I am officially on holiday leave?
- I am not a member of a union but can I get representation and from whom?
- Am I entitiled prior to the meeting to know the allegations against me/ what evidence they have to support this?
- Who is the likely to be at the meeting and do they need to tell me beforehand? will it be the CEO or HR?

I just feel its all very vague and out the of blue and worried about going into something completely blind

Comments

• Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    dlpfan2019 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just came into collect a parcel from work ( am on holiday at the moment ) and been told that I have been suspended from work pending an investigation

I work as a fundraiser ( involved in grant funding ) and been told its down to funding that was due to arrive but has not yet and asked if I knew any that were outstanding? - I replied that we have a number so without specifics its very difficult to say

They have said that I am suspended on full pay and will get a letter out to me today with a date on it to attend

So a few questions on this

- Can this meeting be when I am officially on holiday leave?
    Debatable but I am not sure I would argue that point

- I am not a member of a union but can I get representation and from whom?
    You are entitled to be accompanied (by a trades union rep or work colleague) at a disciplinary meeting but not at an investigation - although the employer may allow it.

- Am I entitiled prior to the meeting to know the allegations against me/ what evidence they have to support this?
    If it is a disciplinary meeting then largely yes.

- Who is the likely to be at the meeting and do they need to tell me beforehand? will it be the CEO or HR?
    Their choice and no

I just feel its all very vague and out the of blue and worried about going into something completely blind

Answers above.

If you are not a union member then your options for someone to accompany you are limited. Some solicitors can arrange an accredited union rep at a (substantial) cost. If you happen to have a family member or friend who is an accredited union rep they could do it in their personal capacity. Legally, all that matters is if the person holds accreditation. They do not have to be acting on behalf of their union (this is how solicitors are able to arrange it for a fee). The employer cannot lawfully refuse an accredited person. However, as I said above that is for a disciplinary meeting, not an investigation.
  • Thanks for the reply

I have someone who can represent but she is away on holiday from the 10th for 2 weeks and then its obviously Xmas, is there a maximum time that I can realistically suggest a later date for?

I think that because of the nature of it I would like to have representation with me really
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    dlpfan2019 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply

I have someone who can represent but she is away on holiday from the 10th for 2 weeks and then its obviously Xmas, is there a maximum time that I can realistically suggest a later date for?

I think that because of the nature of it I would like to have representation with me really

It comes down to what is reasonable. The employer would be wise to show some flexibility but they are of course paying your wages for no work whilst this is going on. Several weeks is pushing it.

Sadly it is not uncommon for people (not suggesting you) who are "bang to rights" guilty to string it out for as long as possible just to get some extra pay!
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    When you receive the letter, redact it thoroughly and post it up here for some pointed guidance.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Always find it strange when people neglect to ask the most basic of questions;

Are you innocent or guilty?

Mind you, you wouldn't admit it if you were guilty!

There's a fair chance that their own internal process will discover the true nature of the issue (ie whether you are innocent or guilty), and so worrying about representation in the first instance MAY be a bit OTT.
  • I'm not even clear if the OP knows what they are being accused of! (Although it sounds as if it may be that the employer thinks they are over-stating funds raised. If the OP has said that they have raised £1m for a project and only £100k has been received, there would obviously be an investigation.)
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • I'm not even clear if the OP knows what they are being accused of! (Although it sounds as if it may be that the employer thinks they are over-stating funds raised. If the OP has said that they have raised £1m for a project and only £100k has been received, there would obviously be an investigation.)

That's exactly the point at the moment, I have no idea what it is meant to be as of yet which makes it worse as I am just obsessing about what it could possibly be, I was told to expect a letter Wednesday so hopefully I will and then at least can progress on it
  • Just to update, nothing in the post today, hopefully will come tomorrow

If it does not am I worth chasing or is it normal to take a few days before something arrives?

Not been in this situation before and obviously anxious about it all
  • Southend1
    Southend1 Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    They are unlikely to represent you on a pre-existing case but you really should join an appropriate union today to ensure you don't get stuck without representation in future! Not to mention all the other benefits of union membership.
  • Is your position funded by a grant?

I'm just wondering if funding for your position won't be renewed and the charity is trying to pull a fast one so that they don't have to pay you redundancy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure