Halifax Offer £135 to switch

Comments

• swindiff
    swindiff Posts: 849
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Forumite
    Not sure. I had an individual and a joint, no problem with opening another individual account.
  • ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Ahhh OK :D How many Nationwide accounts can a single individual actually have? (sorry for offtopic)

six…………………….
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,062
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Not sure about this. My friend switched to NatWest for £100 this summer. I'm switching right now for £125. That's an increase.

Halifax just increased the bonus from £75 to £135. Yeah, £200 seems unlikely, but maybe £150 .. but it's not worth waiting so I'll switch now :)
    Yes, there are periodic peaks and troughs, but the peaks are getting shallower and the troughs deeper. In this case I think the 'bird in the hand' approach is wise.
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Finally! I'm tempted to switch now. But it is possible that they could increase the bonus even more? There was a £200 bonus in 2015 from them. I wonder if there's any chance they will introduce it again.

If this is the offer then I doubt they will increase it.
  • Brewer20
    Brewer20 Posts: 395
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    badger09 wrote: »
    Thanks, but you missed out this:

'You are not eligible for the offer if you have previously received any other offer or benefits for switching to a Halifax bank account at any point since January 2012.'

Sadly, that rules many of us out, so quite important;)

And you can't switch a BoS account to it. So that's me out but I can do it with the NatWest one I have sitting doing nowt.:)
  • OK, account opened online today, the switch process will start a bit later. :) I hope they'll pay the bonus.

Seems like they perform a hard check on credit file even if you don't apply for overdraft facility. My credit report was updated today, right after I applied. It shows this search:

Bank Of Scotland Plc (Sr, Sa, Tac)
    Halifax Personal Current Accounts 7.2 (Cr Bsb Api)
    Checking Credit Application
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,128
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    OK, account opened online today, the switch process will start a bit later. :) I hope they'll pay the bonus.

Seems like they perform a hard check on credit file even if you don't apply for overdraft facility. My credit report was updated today, right after I applied. It shows this search:

Bank Of Scotland Plc (Sr, Sa, Tac)
    Halifax Personal Current Accounts 7.2 (Cr Bsb Api)
    Checking Credit Application

This is standard practice when opening a current account as it is possible to go overdrawn without having an agreed overdraft;)
  • Have several Reward current accounts with Halifax and an idle account elsewhere that I was planning to close, so have arranged the switch today as never had a switch bonus from Halifax before
  • badger09 wrote: »
    This is standard practice when opening a current account as it is possible to go overdrawn without having an agreed overdraft;)

Not sure about that... As far as I know, most banks only perform a soft check which doesn't leave a negative mark on your credit report. I will see on my Experian and Equifax reports 2 weeks later. I'll let you know if I don't forget :)
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,128
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Not sure about that... As far as I know, most banks only perform a soft check which doesn't leave a negative mark on your credit report. I will see on my Experian and Equifax reports 2 weeks later. I'll let you know if I don't forget :)

Care to explain what you mean by a 'negative mark'?

Are you talking about some made up number/scale/% credit 'score'?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure