Stolen Nectar Points

AbrahamLincoln
AbrahamLincoln Posts: 7 Forumite
edited 4 June 2018 at 11:28AM in Credit cards
First, apologies for the choice of board. It's the closest one I could find, but Mods feel free to move it if there's a more appropriate one I overlooked.

Short Version: What are the cutomer's rights when it comes to loyalty points? What stops the scheme operator just taking them unfairly off the customer?

Long Version:Nectar recently blocked my account and sent me a new card. When I registered the new card, I saw that I had £55 fewer points than I expected. I called nectar, and they told me there'd been a £55 redemption in a Sainsburys in November 2017. In my world, £55 which I've been building up for a double points event or something is a not inconsiderable amount of money.

I've never been to the Sainsbury's where nectar told me the redemption happen, checked that I was at work at that time, and told them the redemption was fraudulent. I expected the points to be replaced. However, Nectar has refused several times, suggesting I'm mistaken or lying about the redemption being fraudulent. Nectar has made it clear that this is their final position and that there isn't a complaint process that could change their mind. They've suggested I contact the police, who will obviously not care to investigate a £55 fraud.

If this was a credit card, the next step would be to complain to an ombudsman or similar, but as it's not, I don't understand my rights and can't decide what the right next step is.

Any pointers about what I should do next, or what my rights are would be welcome.

Interestingly, I haven't lost the card. I still have the one that Nectar proactively blocked in my possession, but it strikes me that it would be rather easy to clone someone's card but taking a photo of it at the till and typing the number in. The fact that that blocked it proactively, but now won't accept that there's been fraud on the card also defies logic.

Thanks,

Comments

• Write to head office.

I'm not sure what their view would be as it happened 7 months ago
  • Thanks Gary - yes I agree that a CEO letter (given that they've explicitly told me there is no further complaint process) is a reasonable option.

However, it strikes me as quite unfair that the customer has no rights, so simply has to ask the scheme operator nicely and has no comeback if they don't?
  • I'm sure you get sent monthly point statements from Nectar - so this would have flagged up at an earlier time surely?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 June 2018 at 11:56AM

However, it strikes me as quite unfair that the customer has no rights

You have rights. It's whether you choose to exercise them or not.
  • scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    !!! wrote: »
    I'm sure you get sent monthly point statements from Nectar - so this would have flagged up at an earlier time surely?

I've never seen such a statement and have had a Nectar card for many years.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've never seen such a statement and have had a Nectar card for many years.

No, no monthly statement. But you do get a quarterly onewith lots of nonsence vouchers. Seperate from the pointless sainsburys ones all the time!
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I get a load of emails, every few days by the looks of it, just had to check how many i get and it was 13 emails in May alone.

They all show the points balance and have a couple of hundred £ on the card.

Cannot find any good deals, always seems to be better offers going direct.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Does anyone else in your household hold the same nectar card? You say you haven't been into the Sainsburys in question - how far away from you is it?
  • welshbookworm
    welshbookworm Posts: 2,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Did you lose one of the small cards? (the ones that go on your keys)
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • My mistake - yes you get emails and letters in the post with the vouchers and points balance.

Did you not notice the depletion on any of these?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure