Do you tip in restaurants?

Comments

• Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, I am, and I'm also aware of the fact that in 99% of places the tips also get shared between the kitchen staff as well

I worked in waitessing for a number of years in a few different types of restaurant. Tips are rarely ever shared.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    You're aware that the kitchen staff also have poor pay and hours? Not to mention far worse working conditions normally.

I'd be happier tipping the kitchen staff than the wait-staff.

I was forced to pay 12.5% 'service charge' in a restaurant this weekend.. wasn't very happy. It's not like we had amazing service either.

Instead of putting 12.5% on the bill, why don't they just put 12.5% on the items they sell.
    That way they are pricing their wares to include all extras.
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    pantaiema wrote: »
    I find it also something wrong with this tip cuture. If you have spare money better donate it to charity.

I believe, most people who consider giving tip is necessary is those who come from North America and try to bring their habbit / culture to the countries they are visiting, ruining the market for other people, especially local people.

Giving tip in the US is very much expected because that is the way they they are topping up their salary. But here in europe the basic salary close to living wages is already guranteed by law. They are getting paid similar to other people in low skilled job.

People who got used to giving tip, please think about this and answer the question

Do you tip other people in low skilled jobs a shop assistant (say) who is helping you finding items in the store ?? If someone has been particularly helpful I will mention it to the manager.

Do you tip the binman who empty your rubbish bin every week ?
    Yes at xmas
    Do you tip the young boys, girls in Fastfood outlets such as McDonald, Burger King, KFC, Take away ? Don't use them.

Do you tip nurses, doctors, dentists They save your live ? Have given presents ie chocs/ wine same as I've done for others. I think giving money where there isn't a culture to do so could be embarrassing for the recipient.

If not why not ???

People also give tips to beauticians and hairdressers it isn't just reserved for restaurant staff.
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    I worked in waitessing for a number of years in a few different types of restaurant. Tips are rarely ever shared.

I ask before if I give a tip to check it doesn't go to the owners and recently ie last few years, it's been common to be told tips go to front of house and kitchen staff.
  • Potbellypig
    Potbellypig Posts: 775 Forumite
    It's only really socially acceptable to tip a waiter/waitress. It's not to tip a doctor, teacher, fast food cashier etc. We exist as a society which relies on these types of social 'norms'.

It's not rocket science.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It's only really socially acceptable to tip a waiter/waitress. It's not to tip a doctor, teacher, fast food cashier etc. We exist as a society which relies on these types of social 'norms'.

It's not rocket science.

Just because something is socially acceptable or even socially expected doesn't mean you have to do it!.
  • Potbellypig
    Potbellypig Posts: 775 Forumite
    takman wrote: »
    Just because something is socially acceptable or even socially expected doesn't mean you have to do it!.

A civilised society works better when all parties are on the same page. If people started tipping whoever they want, when they want, then that's when problems occur.

You can apply this piece of advise to any other scenario which is socially acceptable to do.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    A civilised society works better when all parties are on the same page. If people started tipping whoever they want, when they want, then that's when problems occur.

You can apply this piece of advise to any other scenario which is socially acceptable to do.

The solution is to not tip anyone in any circumstances. If a doctor who saves your life socially "deserves" no tip then how much of a tip should you give to someone who carry's a plate of food from the kitchen to you table and writes down what you want and then types it into a computer.

I've been to a restaurant where the waiters/waitresses were replaced with a Tablet Computer and a system that automatically delivers food to your table. Imagine if i had attempted to tip the tablet computer, how ridiculous would that have been.
  • cam12
    cam12 Posts: 11 Forumite
    I will only tip is the food and serve are good - normally 10%
  • CBaker
    CBaker Posts: 38 Forumite
    I generally always tip but it varies depending on the service. Normally a good service is around 15%, poor service is at most 10%.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback