Cellar flood- Don’t know where it coming from

2»

Comments

• sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

One neighbours cellar floods badly and the other gets a bit too.

Thanks

The SuperSump® Sump Pump System features a Zoeller® sump pump system and our durable sump pump liner. The SuperSump's is available in ⅓ and ½ HP pump models, which are able to pump out 2,200 and 3,900 gallons, respectively.

https://www.basementsystems.co.uk/sump-pump/supersump-cellar-pump.html
  • In regards to the visqueen. Would you put a sheet down, or however many, and then lay a thick layer of cement / concrete over the top, so that you could eventually stand on it, and hope it’d stop the water?
  • I think the water is coming in from the walls, but it could be coming up from the stone flags on the floor. But I really don’t know. I wouldn’t know how to find out haha.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    In regards to the visqueen. Would you put a sheet down, or however many, and then lay a thick layer of cement / concrete over the top, so that you could eventually stand on it, and hope it’d stop the water?

Yes, one thickness ofg DPM is enough.

For a start, it would make the floor, say, 100mm higher, which might be enough in itself. The DPM would also stop direct penetration from below.

However, if under artesian pressure, water could still find its way to the side of the slab and come up there, but it's a relatively cheap way to deal with the issue and possibly solve it.

If it were me, I'd lay the slab to a slight fall to give the additional option of a sump, if needed.
  • What does DPM stand for sorry? I’m not familiar with that.

Yes, the stone flags have a slight fall into the middle of the room, where of course the water is gathering. The joints between the flags are not cemented / filled in. This is where the water is escaping.

Maybe even the water could be traveling up through the flags tho, That’s why I am a bit cautious
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    DPM = Damp Proof Membrane (as on Google.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure