Default on credit record for someone else's loan

Options
2»

Comments

• azmodan
    azmodan Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    That is the name of the department at the top of the DWP headed letter I received, with a telephone number 08009160647.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    azmodan wrote: »
    That is the name of the department at the top of the DWP headed letter I received, with a telephone number 08009160647.

That number is for benefit/tax credit overpayments.

Are you sure that this "Moneyline" has anything to do with it and you haven't had your identity stolen and benefits claimed in your name?
  • azmodan
    edited 8 December 2018 at 1:16AM
    Options
    boo_star wrote: »
    That number is for benefit/tax credit overpayments.

Are you sure that this "Moneyline" has anything to do with it and you haven't had your identity stolen and benefits claimed in your name?

Initially they did tell me it was for an overpayment, but when I pushed them over the fact that I hadn't claimed benefit in several years they did a little digging and said that it was for a £300 loan plus charges/interest. When I visited the local branch for Moneyline they also confirmed the loan had been taken out and not repaid.

I was pretty surprised myself when I checked up on it. As you say, it doesn't make sense.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Initially they did tell me it was for an overpayment, but when I pushed them over the fact that I hadn't claimed benefit in several years they did a little digging and said that it was for a £300 loan plus charges/interest. When I visited the local branch for Moneyline they also confirmed the loan had been taken out and not repaid.

I was pretty surprised myself when I checked up on it. As you say, it doesn't make sense.

Moneyline have nothing to do with the DWP.

Is it a crisis loan?
  • Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So you have received a letter saying you owe £500 to a company called Moneyline for an alleged £300 loan that you dispute, and this letter has come from Debt Management within the DWP?

Have you fallen for a phishing scam? The DWP don't care one bit about your private debts with a private company. They wouldn't do this.
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • Zoee
    Zoee Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    Last week I received a letter from Debt Management, part of the DWP informing me that I was to make a payment of almost £500 by 22/12 .

That date is around the corner!

When you next ring them, [Big big hint - ASAP] ask what happens if this mess isn't sorted by that date?

You dont want additional woes for incorrectly owing the Gov.

azmodan wrote:
    Would anyone be able to advise me what my rights are here, and if there are any other avenues I should be pursuing? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated .

If it is this Moneyline company, then make an official complaint.

In their FAQ section, you'll see that you can phone or email
    How can I make a complaint? if you are dissatisfied with our service or any of our products please call us on 0345 643 Alternatively, you can email us at headoffice@

Also, with the change in data collection/retention rules in May, you may be able to request a SAR for the details held for this loan taken out on 13th Sep 2016. More details is found on the ICO website how to do this here.

If Moneyline says doesnt concern you, well it does because your NI# is incorrectly connected to this 'loan' and your NI# may have been fraudulently used.

azmodan wrote:
    Debt Management were unable to give me any further details over the phone and advised me to speak with the lender. You need to send a letter to the company asking them to release your loan details. This is absurd. I have no account with this company, all they have is an NI number, which is on their system, links to a completely different person. So any request I make will bounce back immediately.

May not be as absurd as you think.

The FAQ section also shows how easy it was for this 'loan' to be taken out with your NI#
    What information do you need?We’ll need your income details (either payslips or benefits letter), bank and debit card, and three years address history.

So with a forged DWP benefit letter head, I agree with @fwor who says: A NI number is trivial to make up.

I'd also add, it could be human error where the debtor's NI number was mixed up with yours when being entered on their system.

Easily done

:(

You may not have a loan with Moneyline however requesting the loan details to prove it's not you by address connections, the name etc etc and proof that this loan links to a different person is key to getting this resolved quickly.

As said Sat 22 Dec 2018 is around the corner and being a Saturday the DWP aren't open to telephone calls or visits.

azmodan wrote:
    I have also noticed my credit rating dropping over the last few months, but as I do not have a paid account

There's FREE credit file websites like ClearScore or Noodle, that can let you see why this may be. Under the loans sections of your credit file, this 'loan' may incorrectly be showing there.
    _______
    My 2cents is to get in contact with the DWP to know what the next step is for payment collection should you miss their 22 Dec 2018 deadline then Moneyline to remove your incorrect connection to this loan in writing. Open a FREE credit file account and check to see what could be causing a drop with your score rating.

Once proven not you by address in the last 3years etc etc and NI# fraudulently used or entered on their system incorrectly, there should be a happy ending!
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,860 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 December 2018 at 11:30AM
    Options
    I have also noticed my credit rating dropping over the last few months, but as I do not have a paid account I couldn't see any details as to why and had assumed it was to do with a lack of credit agreements. Currently I only have a mobile phone bill every month which is paid by direct debit. I have never missed a payment.
    You don't need a paid account. Access to all 3 of your full credit files is available free from

Noddle https://www.noddle.co.uk/sign-up for CallCredit
    MSE CEC https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub/register for Experian
    Clearscore https://www.clearscore.com/users/signup or
    Creditwise https://www.capitalone.co.uk/creditwise/registration.jsf for Equifax
  • azmodan
    Options
    I've heard back from both DWP and Moneyline.

DWP are no longer pursuing me over the debt and my credit rating has been reset to where it should be (many thanks for the links). Moneyline have also confirmed they've corrected the account information.

This has solved my particular issue, but it doesn't seem to address the fact that had Moneyline actually verified with DWP using more than one bit of data this would have been flagged immediately and never escalated. They don't seem to care about that, and the Samaritan in me isn't comfortable leaving the door ajar for this to potentially happen to someone else.

Is it worth reporting, or am I just wasting my time?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure