Does anyone use thermal printers with RM click and drop

I find the click and drop site a real pain for printing off postage labels and saw thermal printers can be bought cheaply from box atm . Has used thermal printers, they just seem to be much more convenient than having to chop up A4 sheets and the hassle of continually switching trays on my current printer.

I don't do high volume of mail just find it such a pain as all my postage is printed these days as it's more convinient than stamps

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    mandy44d wrote: »
    I find the click and drop site a real pain for printing off postage labels and saw thermal printers can be bought cheaply from box atm . Has used thermal printers, they just seem to be much more convenient than having to chop up A4 sheets and the hassle of continually switching trays on my current printer.

I don't do high volume of mail just find it such a pain as all my postage is printed these days as it's more convinient than stamps

I bought the Zebra printer GK420d direct from Royal mail , they supply all the label rolls as well, you just have to order rolls whenever you start running short. The fact I am no longer paying for paper or printer ink means this has probably paid for itself in less than a year.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mandy44d
    mandy44d Posts: 49 Forumite
    edited 14 May 2018 at 3:27PM
    Do you use click and drop soolin? If so does everything link together smoothly for alignments etc. Do you use the printers software to align things or do the RM have compatable templates for th thermal printers.

The amount of money it can cost in sticky labels and the hassle of cutting everything I can easily see one paying for itself even if it's only paid back in less hassle.

Do you know if RM will only work with the Zebra or are other thermal printers OK as box are selling off some open box Brother ones dirt cheap atm. Trid looking on youtube but click and drop is relativel new so couldn't find any tutorials with a quick search , I'll try again when I've more time.

edit: noticed it was just the labels not the actual printer , ooops.

Got me thinking about getting one now though if I can get a reasonably cheap one that'd link with RM, I guess even simply printing the labels and using stamps has got to be better than the hassle printing va click and buy is now.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    mandy44d wrote: »
    Do you use click and drop soolin? If so does everything link together smoothly for alignments etc. Do you use the printers software to align things or do the RM have compatable templates for th thermal printers.

The amount of money it can cost in sticky labels and the hassle of cutting everything I can easily see one paying for itself even if it's only paid back in less hassle.

Do you know if RM will only work with the Zebra or are other thermal printers OK as box are selling off some open box Brother ones dirt cheap atm. Trid looking on youtube but click and drop is relativel new so couldn't find any tutorials with a quick search , I'll try again when I've more time.

edit: noticed it was just the labels not the actual printer , ooops.

Got me thinking about getting one now though if I can get a reasonably cheap one that'd link with RM, I guess even simply printing the labels and using stamps has got to be better than the hassle printing va click and buy is now.

I use a business account via click and drop , I had to manually set up the link myself, but even with my poor level of tech knowledge found it quite easy. So I do exactly the same as I used to do , just buy my postage , click print, (make sure I'm on the right printer) and the labels all shoot out pre paid and addressed, I stick them on and Bobs my uncle.

RM supply the labels for free in rolls of 1000 so it's even better. its daft but I can't remember how much the printer was, either £140 or £180, I found details online via RM, phoned RM who gave me a code to buy from a warehouse at a special price and it arrived next day.

I wish I'd done it a lot sooner.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure