PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Do I attract higher stamp duty?

Hi,

I'm a first time buyer. I have my help to buy accepted . I'm the ONLY mortgage applicant and also the only owner of the property. However, my wife is owning a property with her parents where her parents live. The new property we are moving to will be our only residence.

Should I be paid the first time buyer land stamp duty or is it going to be more because my wide owns a property already?

Appreciate it. Thanks

Comments

• Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I believe that as well as paying the standard SDLT on the property you will also pay the extra SDLT for additional properties, as after the transaction you will have gone from owning 1 property to owning 2 (married couples are treated as a single unit for SDLT purposes).
  • kriven88
    kriven88 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Thank you. But my wife's property is owned by herself and her father . Do I still pay standard stamp duty + extra SDLT? Thanks
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    kriven88 wrote: »
    Thank you. But my wife's property is owned by herself and her father . Do I still pay standard stamp duty + extra SDLT? Thanks

If your wife's beneficial interest in the property jointly owned with her father is worth more than £40k then the higher rate of SDLT will apply. This is because as a married couple you currently own one property between you and at the end of the transaction you will own two properties i.e. an additional residential property.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/stamp-duty-land-tax-manual
  • SDLT_Geek
    SDLT_Geek Posts: 2,464
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I agree with the comments above that your purchase is likely to be subject to the higher rates of SDLT because of your wife having a share in a property (if it is worth £40k or more).

But do consider if the replacement exception might apply. Has you wife owned (or had an interest in) a property which she has lived in and has since sold or otherwise disposed of?
  • kriven88
    kriven88 Posts: 3 Newbie
    No . Me and my wife have been renting for the last 3 years before which she was living at her parents (which she co owns with her dad )
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    As explained above, the additional SDLT will apply unless your wife's share of her jointly owned property is less than £40K.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure