Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rocketqueen
    • By rocketqueen 10th Jan 19, 5:46 PM
    • 113Posts
    • 541Thanks
    rocketqueen
    Pay in lieu of notice
    • 10th Jan 19, 5:46 PM
    Pay in lieu of notice 10th Jan 19 at 5:46 PM
    Just found out Im going to be made redundant in 4 weeks time, had consultation today and they mentioned they are going to inform me of the redundancy payment at a later date.

Employer has also said they will give us all 1 months pay in lieu of notice, but I have just seen on the Gov.uk website that they are meant to pay 1 weeks notice for each year of employment - I have been there 11 years.

My employment contract says that employment can be terminated by 1 months notice so does this mean that they do not have to pay the notice pay mentioned above?

Sorry if this doesnt make sense, Im finding it all very stressful and confusing!
Page 1
    • Masomnia
    • By Masomnia 10th Jan 19, 6:19 PM
    • 17,555 Posts
    • 39,072 Thanks
    Masomnia
    • 10th Jan 19, 6:19 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 6:19 PM
    Yep, 11 weeks.
    I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. - P.G. Wodehouse
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 10th Jan 19, 9:16 PM
    • 3,043 Posts
    • 2,331 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 10th Jan 19, 9:16 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 9:16 PM
    You are entitled (statutory) to 1 weeks payment for every year you have worked there, so 11 weeks. On top of this you will receive 1 months PILON. So you will leave immediately and not have to work a notice period.

It could be that the redundancy payment terms is better than statutory, that's up to the company. I was made redundant twice and both times I was paid 1 month for every year I worked there. The second time I also got 3 months PILON as well.
    • headpin
    • By headpin 10th Jan 19, 9:18 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    headpin
    • 10th Jan 19, 9:18 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 9:18 PM
    They need to give you 11 weeks or pay in lieu thereof, but you only need to have given them one months notice.

How many people are affected and how many employees does your company have? This affects what your company should be doing. If over 20 (from memory) are affected then there should be a minimum 90 day(again from memory) consultation process. And, if you hve only found out today how did they select those to be made redundant, assuming that the company has not just ceased trading? There needed to be a process that is fair and equitable and/or specific criteria on making people redundant need to be met.

You need to consult your union or trade representative or otherwise speak to Citizens Advice or similar to get your rights and entitlements explained to you.
    Last edited by headpin; 10-01-2019 at 9:24 PM.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 10th Jan 19, 10:18 PM
    • 34,098 Posts
    • 20,666 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 10th Jan 19, 10:18 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 10:18 PM
    You are entitled (statutory) to 1 weeks payment for every year you have worked there, so 11 weeks. On top of this you will receive 1 months PILON. So you will leave immediately and not have to work a notice period.

It could be that the redundancy payment terms is better than statutory, that's up to the company. I was made redundant twice and both times I was paid 1 month for every year I worked there. The second time I also got 3 months PILON as well.
    Originally posted by TadleyBaggie
    You don't double dip, the statutory would replace the wrong contractual notice.
    • rocketqueen
    • By rocketqueen 11th Jan 19, 6:30 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    rocketqueen
    • 11th Jan 19, 6:30 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 6:30 PM
    Thank you all 😀

Headpin- everyone at one particular site is affected, we are all being made redundant and the site will be closed. The company have other sites but nothing remotely close by for relocation purposes. Approx 45 staff being made redundant.

I did wonder about the 90 day thing, but as we are all being made redundant I wasnt sure if it applied (as we have all been treated the same and no selection for redundancy has taken place.)

I will go to the citizens advice and ask them I think, as I am completely lost with all this.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 11th Jan 19, 6:42 PM
    • 34,098 Posts
    • 20,666 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 11th Jan 19, 6:42 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 6:42 PM
    Statutory consultation will be 30 days.
    • kazmeister
    • By kazmeister 12th Jan 19, 10:36 PM
    • 3,164 Posts
    • 52,858 Thanks
    kazmeister
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:36 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:36 PM
    You should enter a consultation period, at the endo f which you should be given formal notification of your redundancy.

You will be entitled to redundancy pay as here https://worksmart.org.uk/work-rights/losing-your-job/redundancy/i-have-been-made-redundant-what-payment-am-i-entitled

and should either work your notice or be paid in lieu of notice (PILON) as here https://worksmart.org.uk/work-rights/losing-your-job/redundancy/does-my-employer-have-pay-wages-full-during-my-notice-period

Links from Worksmart part of the TUC
    Lost my wings, need to learn to fly again
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,598Posts Today

8,430Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I understand it v v well - yet for most graduates compounding is irrelevant as their repayments are based on their? https://t.co/BUUhC5evzg

• Sadly no winnebego, but the team do bring a bag of nuts and a peppermint tea so I can't complain https://t.co/qsCxqfHyU8

• Off to film in Hyde Park all day. Got more thermals than a glider. Hopefully it'll keep me snug

• Follow Martin