What small moneysaving things will you be doing this week? W/C 08/01/18

Comments

• FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Mr T currently have the Felix GOod as it looks boxes (40 pouches) for £10.

Buy! Buy! Buy!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I had a pack of full price lamb mince in my trolley as I'm planning Shepherds Pie for tonight's dinner when I decided to take one last look at the reduced section *just* as they were wheeling four packs to be reduced! I only bought two but it saved me £1.32 per pack and now I can batch cook and use the whole bag of carrots!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • FatVonD wrote: »
    Mr T currently have the Felix GOod as it looks boxes (40 pouches) for £10.

Buy! Buy! Buy!

This is all my fussy little so and so's will eat so guess where I'll be going this week. :D Thank you FVD
  • Bagpuss741
    Bagpuss741 Posts: 2,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Today I have/will:

1. Checked online banking
    2. NSD
    3. At home physio exercises
    4. Meals from stores
    5. Surveys & Bzzagent
    Tesco: £1361.19, Vanquis: £2644.73, Very: £563.08, Next: £1636.95, M&S: £1049.92. As of 5th February 2024. Slava Ukraini
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Afternoon all :)
    Packed OH off to a private osteopath/ physio practice this morning, so am £55 lighter, but he has had his issue explained to him in detail, has a treatment plan and is feeling a lot more positive :) He is due to go back on Friday, then twice next week, at £40 a time :eek: but if it helps him, it is worth it, and I can cut down elsewhere to cover it. I know we are lucky to be able to do this :o

Anyway, today I have / will:
    Dog walk (OH is threatening to do the second one, but we will see if that happens!)
    Made butternut squash soup for lunch (BNS were on offer at Lidls last week for 69p :)). And there is plenty left for tomorrow :D
    Will make sweet and sour pork for dinner, using up YS pork steaks from the freezer - there will be enough for 2 days dinners :)
    Wood stove alight later - kettle to boil on top for 'free tea' :D
    Small shop at Mr S
    Bought £5 odd of items to donate to the local food bank - I chose teabags, biscuits, cereal bars, oat so simple and a can of main course soup this time :) Got quite a lot for just over £5, chose basics range items, own brands and branded items that were on offer. People say Sains is expensive, but I thought that was pretty good :) Apart from the teabags, these aren't things I would buy for myself, but the FB suggest dried / tinned goods with an emphasis on things that can be eaten without cooking or with minimal heating / cooking, as food poverty usually goes hand in hand with fuel poverty :( ....... in a First World country in the 21st century :mad: (sorry for soapbox but it really makes me cross the way people are treated :()
    Updated spreadsheet
    Ought to do some cleaning :(
    Also ought to list some items on ebay, but it is too dark to take decent photos today :(
    Might make some more blue cheese and walnut scones as I have a bit of stilton left, and bought some walnuts to go with it :)
  • DawnW wrote: »
    , as food poverty usually goes hand in hand with fuel poverty :( ....... in a First World country in the 21st century :mad: (sorry for soapbox but it really makes me cross the way people are treated :()

My mum got me quite aerated over the weekend on the subject of foodbanks (sample P.O.V. "the majority of people who visit food banks are on the scrounge")

I had to point out to her that:
    a: just because it's her opinion, that doesn't make it fact
    b: it's not a very Christian viewpoint from someone who goes to church so much
    c: I personally would have visited a food bank when I was struggling if they had existed
    d: if she really believes that, the best thing to do would be to go and volunteer and see for herself
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,078 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Hi Friends,
    FVD - Thaks for flagging up the offer on the Felix - that's the only kind of food my big naughty jelly licker can't get the jelly off, so it's a winner for us too.
    CCL - It was similar with my Dad's funeral, such a long time to wait, & I felt as though the start of the 'healing process' was delayed along with it.
    Dawn & CLF - Totally agree on subject of food banks. I re-read 'The Ragged trousered philanthropist' recently & despite it being written before the first world war, attitudes about 'deserving' & non-deserving' poor are becoming very entrenched again. Anybody, ANYBODY can have a run of awful luck which leads to life becoming hugely chaotic for a while. I was chatting to a Big Issue seller in Nottingham before Christmas & he said there were 3 difficult things which happened in his life simultaneously which had resulted in homelessness. The 3 things were problems which could happen to any of us. Despite my personal view being that Brexit will tank the economy, we are currently still one of the wealthiest countries in the world & there should be nobody unable to buy basics such as food, a toothbrush, sanitary products, etc. Grrrrrr.....this country!!
    Anyway, only a small list today. Two meetings this morning & have been working hard on a research project I promised to do for some local politics I'm involved with but have not been spendy:
    *Did not manage to get street parking this morning so reluctantly had to pay £4.50. Made sure I went straight home after my meetings instead of getting tempted by coffee shops, which involve walking past 'Monsoon', etc.
    *Lunch was more of the lovely leek & potato soup I cooked yesterday. A cheap warming bowlful!
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Found a pot of leftover almonds in the top of the larder, so they will do a couple of days of free snacks.
    *No downstairs heating on as have been out, then working at my desk upstairs.
    *Ziffit emailed to say they have checked all 3 boxes of our traded items & will be paying up in full. Yay! Straight to the savings pot, which badly needs replenishing after last year.
    *Continue knitting sleeve. Much quicker than normal sleeves as this jumper has such dropped shoulders that the sleeves don't need to be very long at all. It's my Christmas present yarn & I love it so much, I keep on stopping to stroke it, which slows down actual knitting!
    *Overnight laundry drying on heated airer. I don't think I shall need to do another load this week, which is money-saving in itself.
    *Dinner as per meal plans - spicy Chinese-style rice using some of the rubber pork I divvied up yesterday.
    Not an outstandingly frugal day by any means, but could have been worse. Must go...can hear cat doing something involving claws :-/
    F xx
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • I will be bringing packed lunches for work from home and avoiding expensive coffee shops, replacing with instant coffee! Money saved straight away :A
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
  • Lottebear
    Lottebear Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello All,

Today I have

- Picked up as reduced price salad for lunch, better to the cheap if I am being lazy.
    - Transferred money to savings
    - Made a small payment against CC
    - Topped up pension
    - Found 1p roadkill
    - DD has won a birthday party for her and 9 friends, not MSE as I had already booked a party, but it will be nice to have another party and share her birthday with her friends. I love a competition win.
    - Dinner from stores, I am trying to cut down today.
  • determined_new_ms
    determined_new_ms Posts: 7,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 January 2018 at 9:24PM
    Hi guys :) just popping my head round the door to say hi. Really not anything of any value to add! I did stick to my usual frugal ways - although I did buy some more fruit & veg from A1dis and also some freezer bags in HB ;) my life heading towards once a week cooking is still progressing!

I've updated my spending diary and written down something I saw today and wanted. I'm doing the 72 hour rule as per UFM. But I very much suspect I will get this item. They are heart shaped bowls which I have been after for a while and they are £1.50 each :money:

my dbs has now been sent! :T have emailed my new boss to discuss a starting date :j
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills