Vegan Shopping Best Buys

Comments

• pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This isn't meant to be preachy, but try to limit processed vegan food, you may not get a the full range of nutrients you need if you don't eat a variety of foods....... It's just as easy to have an unhealthy vegan diet as it is to have an unhealthy meat eating diet..... Actually in my experience it's very easy to have an unhealthy vegan diet lol

Black beans make easy and tasty burgers. I cook onions mushrooms and garlic add a tin of rinsed black beans, mash them down and some chilli flakes, thicken with flour (I use chestnut because that's in the recipe I found) shape and crisp up in a pan
    Make your own shepherd's pie with lots of finally chopped veg, you could add quorn, but lentils can be a meaty substitute
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • mackin01 wrote: »
    I find though that my cheapest meat substitute is making seitan, costs upfront to buy in bulk but lasts for ages
    I made this once. I used ordinary flour, that I rinsed - blocked my sink and had to call the plumber lol. The texture was amazing, but need to work on the taste. Where do you get your flour from and do you have a recipe - I was going to use the Buddhist Chef one.
    pelirocco wrote: »
    Make your own shepherd's pie with lots of finally chopped veg, you could add quorn, but lentils can be a meaty substitute
    Totally agree on cooking from scratch, but I do like to have the odd bit of ready made. Quorn mince is not vegan, it contains egg, unless they have changed it.
  • Hi, I just buy online where I can find the best deals tends to be either amazon or last time from whole foods online as they had a discount code for first online purchase.

I follow a basic recipe then season depending on what making

1 & 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten flour
    1/2 cup nutritional yeast
    1/3 gram flour
    season with sprinkling of thyme, garlic powder, onion powder
    mix then add
    teaspoon apple cider vinegar
    tablespoon oil
    1 cup veg stock
    mix together then knead for five minutes

My fav two recipes are either to cut into two then simmer the mix in bisto granules stock for twenty minutes to use as a roast or cut into small pieces simmer for 20 in chicken seasoning then once cooked coat in the mayflower sf gravy powder and fry so it is like kfc.

I have probably made it sound more complicated than it is but once you do it a few times it becomes second nature :)
  • +1 for seitan - hands-down the cheapest meat-substitute if made from scratch (really easy - I highly recommend Seitan and Beyond by The Gentle Chef for a brilliant cookbook).

Vegan food is funny - the healthier you go, the cheaper it is (in my experience). Legumes, grains, vegetables, fruit... can all be bought in bulk at reasonable prices. Pre-prepared stuff can get pricey but no more than animal things.

Ethical Superstore often have good deals, especially when with cheap delivery + cashback, and they have a lot of vegan household things like cleaning supplies at good prices too!

Great thread, thanks for starting! :D
    Starting Debt: £6344.23 (Dec 2017)
    Current Debt: £6110
    Saving for Christmas 2018: £62/£365
  • mackin01 thank you for the recipe, I have all that stuff, apart from the vital wheat - will give it a try.

vegainer
    thanks for the book recommendation - they have it on Amazon. will check it out properly soon.
  • Chippa Gluten Free Worcester Sauce 150g it's vegan, available in Morrison's and Asda.
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I went to Morrisons and they had no Fry's frozen products :( I was so upset haha. Does anywhere else stock them except Ocado????
  • Loz01 wrote: »
    I went to Morrisons and they had no Fry's frozen products :( I was so upset haha. Does anywhere else stock them except Ocado????

Our local health food shops all have Fry's bits, not the full range though. I think alternativestores.com has everything Fry's do. Waitrose sometimes has some bits, but not always it seems. :)

I'm glad others like Fry's, they are the best for junk vegan food at home IMHO. I love their story too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYUSNkeSDqk

I wanted to add that today we got hold of a copy of Dr Michael Gregor's new How Not to Die Cookbook - and there is some *fantastic* looking recipes that all seem cheap to put together! :j
    Starting Debt: £6344.23 (Dec 2017)
    Current Debt: £6110
    Saving for Christmas 2018: £62/£365
  • Holland & barrett stock Frys products and are included when they run their buy one get one half price deals :)
  • rawr_
    rawr_ Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    Where abouts in London

I tend to mainly cook from scratch & freeze extra portions, but I do like to have a store of fake stuff too. Linda Mc Chorizo & normal sausages - also bought some Hooba ones recently, they are unbelievably meat like, Linda Mc 1/4lb & her pulled pork ones, veggie mince, Morrisons meat free burgers, 6 in a pack. Most supermarket bean burgers, Aldi, Morrisons, Tesco, are usually alright. I buy tins of Green Jackfruit, you can make vegan pulled pork, check youtube for recipes. I would suggest, if you are running out of ideas, that you think what used to have as a meatmeater and veganize it, eg bangers & mash, spag bol. Veggie mince can make a ton of things, burritos/wraps, fling in a jacket potato, shepherdless pie, lasagne, meatballs, etc., is an example of just one ingredient. This is a good Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=vegan%20(supermarket%20finds)%20uk - good luck.

Afraid it was a one off vegan food festival - but can be bought online. I'm currently waiting for an order of vegan cheese from Nutcrafter Creamery. I got a lovely cheese recipe book from the hubby for Christmas, but my first try didn't turn out so well!!

Hooba products are brilliant, I tried their products a while back, keep meaning to get some more ordered as was so impressed with how 'meat' like they were. And I agree with the facebook page, I follow this and it's one of the only ones I follow where people don't get uptight and nasty!
    Biggest Comp Wins: Tour of Vietnam 2015 | Baby Rawr_ was born 16/03/20!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure