Used car extended warranties

I'm looking at getting a used car and only just found out that you can get extended warranties on used cars.
I'm wondering do I go to the manufacturers of the vehicle ( and I've done a bit of research here and its slot of money) Or is the extended warranties that other companies just as good and worth while using g as well as hopefully saving some money?
Thanks for any advice given

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Unless its a manufacturers warranty then have money saved for repairs instead.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forget extended warranties. When you look at the list of exclusions almost nothing is covered except catastrophic engine and gearbox failure which is pretty much unlikely to ever happen.

Better to stick the money you would have paid aside to use to cover repairs as they arise.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    You certainly need to read the small print and exclusions as Tarambor has said.

Generally speaking the only warranty worth considering is the manufacturer's one.

But things change.

I cannot comment on other warranties but BMW extended warranty now covers 'wear and tear'

They only changed the wording in the policy last year.

Others may follow suit.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I was in the Honda dealer recently when a chap who had bought secondhand with Honda's warranty was listing the faults with his car. After every item the words "not covered" came from man in a Honda uniform.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    EssexExile wrote: »
    I was in the Honda dealer recently when a chap who had bought secondhand with Honda's warranty was listing the faults with his car. After every item the words "not covered" came from man in a Honda uniform.

But what were the faults?

Windscreen wipers worn out, brake pads etc could be legitimately declined.

Sometimes people can have unrealistic expectations.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure