PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Selling Right to buy home

Comments

• glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ex council houses in central scotland aren't any cheaper than similar non ex council houses.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    Ex council houses in central scotland aren't any cheaper than similar non ex council houses.

I would chose non ex council house any day however
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,690
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Not directly, but RTB is a huge contributory factor in the current housing and homelessness crisis.
    Quite.

However on here we tend to hate the player more than we hate the game.

RTB is an anachronism which should have been consigned to history twenty plus years ago when MIRAS and the married couples' allowance were abolished. If it's still around, it's around for party political reasons.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • da_rule
    da_rule Posts: 3,618
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    kingstreet wrote: »
    However on here we tend to hate the player more than we hate the game.

I agree completely. There is something obviously wrong with right to buy, but it is still the law.

Scotland has scrapped it, Wales has reduced the discount to £8,000 and is consulting on scrapping it and Northern Ireland has set the discount at £24,000. Yet in England we offer discounts of up to £78,600 (£104,900 in London). If you are truly angry at this then petition your MP’s to bring England inline with the devolved legislatures.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,838
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If 'the system' allows a person to do something unethical easily and legally, are they off the hook for the unethical action? Difficult one.

I bought my council house, 3 months ago. Is it more unethical to sell an ex-council house compared to a private house?
    Neither myself, nor the OP can do anything about homelessness; or maybe the buying and selling of houses generates house sales and building?
  • sevenhills
    Forumite
    da_rule wrote: »
    Scotland has scrapped it, Wales has reduced the discount to £8,000 and is consulting on scrapping it and Northern Ireland has set the discount at £24,000. Yet in England we offer discounts of up to £78,600 (£104,900 in London). If you are truly angry at this then petition your MP’s to bring England inline with the devolved legislatures.

That is really good, I didn't know that. I wonder if the Tories will go down that route?
  • sevenhills
    Forumite
    Not directly, but RTB is a huge contributory factor in the current housing and homelessness crisis.

Dont they now have a duty to build another house, if a local authority or housing trust sells one?
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,675
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The problem with right to buy is there was no coresponding policy to spend the money building replacement social housing. If that had been the case it would have been a sustainable policy and a way to help people into home ownership.

If you have rented for 20 years I will bet the rent you have paid is more than the purchase discount.
  • troffasky
    troffasky Posts: 398
    Forumite
    sevenhills wrote: »
    That is really good, I didn't know that. I wonder if the Tories will go down that route?

The chance of the Tories repudiating one of the central planks of Thatcherism seem unlikely, but never say never, eh? The politically expedient thing for them to do would be to hobble RTB by [somehow] mandating 'one planted for every one cut down', or allowing the local authority to set the discount rate.
  • I would have, council housing is the most secure way to live. I don't earn enough that I would have sacrificed that security for short term profit.

That's another issue with RTB, it encourages people to make bad decisions because they see £££s and don't consider the value of what they already have.

What utter clap trap...spending twice what you need to each month is just stupid...maybe you cant afford to buy.

Those of us who can, we do and mostly make a nice profit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure