Baxi Combi breakdown

grumpycrab
grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
edited 31 December 2017 at 12:43PM in Energy
My MILs boiler broke down yesterday, 7 years old, not sure of exact model but its a small compact model. Controls pic here
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73633709&postcount=1

Local Company B&K (if anybody knows the area round Camberley/Farnborough) has quoted £1000 to fix ("fan" and/or "condenser" - haven't got exact details, apart from its been leaking out the bottom...).

We know the company who are reputable, but the most expensive in the world. Any chance anybody knows somebody around here who may give a second opinion? (Basingstoke/Guildford). Cheers.
If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    For £1000 I'm assuming the main heat exchanger is leaking otherwise that's incredibly expensive for just a fan
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 31 December 2017 at 1:10PM
    For £1000 I'm sure you could get a shiny new boiler with five years warranty although sod's law says it would need modification to the plumbing to make it fit but I'd be reluctant to pay a grand just for a repair as other parts in the rest of the boiler are just as likely to die in the near future.

see here https://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/baxi-224-condensing-combi-boiler-easy-pick-pack?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoM3VzZm02AIVzbftCh3QXwDLEAQYAiABEgKokvD_BwE#.WkjRPt9l_IU ,

other boilers, suppliers and manufactures are available

a quick shufti of the interweb shows that Baxi heat exchangers can be any random price you like between around £50 and £700 dependining on the boiler. I guess fans are probably about the same.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • grumpycrab
    God, I hate Baxi boilers. But that's not my main problem. It's knowing somebody local who can a. do a good job and b. not cost an arm and a leg.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • grumpycrab wrote: »
    My MILs boiler broke down yesterday, 7 years old, not sure of exact model but its a small compact model. Controls pic here
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73633709&postcount=1

Local Company B&K (if anybody knows the area round Camberley/Farnborough) has quoted £1000 to fix ("fan" and/or "condenser" - haven't got exact details, apart from its been leaking out the bottom...).

We know the company who are reputable, but the most expensive in the world. Any chance anybody knows somebody around here who may give a second opinion? (Basingstoke/Guildford). Cheers.

Try Yellow Pages ;)

You need to have at least 3 independant quotes for something that may set you back that amount, and it's important you check anyone coming has the correct Gas Safe Registration before you let them anywhere near the boiler.
    Local independants will usually be a lot cheaper than the big boys like British Gas.

Here's some reading for you from MSE's owner to keep you busy this looooooong festive period.
    https://www.moneysupermarket.com/money-made-easy/the-true-cost-of-fixing-a-boiler/

It'll give you an idea of the sort of cost you should expect to pay. As matelodave says, you can buy a whole new boiler for less than £1k (but you will need to add labour to that)

:xmastree::xmastree::xmastree:
    God, I hate Baxi boilers. But that's not my main problem. It's knowing somebody local who can a. do a good job and b. not cost an arm and a leg.

I know, because it would be so much easier if it was a Worcester or a Vaillant, wouldn't it? :cool:
  • FestiveJoy
    FestiveJoy Posts: 229 Forumite
    edited 31 December 2017 at 2:28PM
    Here's a few suggestions, all from within a 20mile radius, who should be able to help you

P J Welch

Surrey & Hampshire Gas

T Garrod Plumbing And Heating

Flexi Heating & Plumbing

Byron Plumbing & Heating Limited

Trojan Property Maintenance

K W Stokes Plumbing & Heating
  • RADDERS
    RADDERS Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Have you looked at the British Gas one off repair, we did this just before Christmas, we did the service one as well so costs us £99 plus £23 a month for 12 months. This also included a service, ours needed a new circuit board so worked out well and they came out the next day whereas local firms couldn’t come out till the new year.
  • grumpycrab
    RADDERS wrote: »
    Have you looked at the British Gas one off repair, we did this just before Christmas...r.
    Might try it. The existing B&K charge is £200 which they will remove from the actual repair if MIL gives the go ahead.
    Might try it. The existing B&K charge is £200 which they will remove from the actual repair if MIL gives the go ahead.

Don't forget the VAT!

:rotfl:

It's expensive to call people out this festive time of year isn't it? Still, won't be long now...

:xmastree::xmastree::xmastree:
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    The existing B&K charge is £200
    FestiveJoy wrote: »
    Don't forget the VAT!
    That's inc VAT. £90 call out (includes 30minutes work) and another hour of tinkering... FestiveJoy my *rse :xmassmile
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure