Standard Newbie Help

Options
Hello!

Sorry, this is going to be a very boring question..

I have c. £25k that I wish to invest. I have trawled through this website and others, as well as reading Tony Robbins "Unshakeable" but was hoping for some advice.

I don't have an investment background at all. I'm in my mid-20's and I have a student loan (although think it's better to invest then pay off as my interest rate is fixed at 1.6%) and although I don't own a house, my objective is for long term income.
    Could anybody recommend which Stocks and Shares ISA would be best (I currently don't have an ISA)?
      From what I've read all the advice seems to be pointed to a Vanguard Life strategy Index linked fund - is this the most sensible option?

Please can I have some constructive advice.

Many thanks!

Comments

• badger09
      badger09 Posts: 11,210 Forumite
      First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
      Options
      KAJM wrote: »
      Hello!

Sorry, this is going to be a very boring question..

I have c. £25k that I wish to invest. I have trawled through this website and others, as well as reading Tony Robbins "Unshakeable" but was hoping for some advice.

I don't have an investment background at all. I'm in my mid-20's and I have a student loan (although think it's better to invest then pay off as my interest rate is fixed at 1.6%) and although I don't own a house, my objective is for long term income.
        Could anybody recommend which Stocks and Shares ISA would be best (I currently don't have an ISA)?
          From what I've read all the advice seems to be pointed to a Vanguard Life strategy Index linked fund - is this the most sensible option?

Please can I have some constructive advice.

Many thanks!

A S&S ISA is simply a tax wrapper, or envelope, in which you hold investments.

You should first decide what investments you want to hold, and then decide who you would like to look after your envelope for you:)

Have a read around this website. Heavily biased towards passive investing, but IMHO that's not a bad thing for a novice investor.

http://monevator.com/category/investing/passive-investing-investing/

Also, have a think about your pension provision. This is a very tax efficient wrapper/envelope for some of your investments;)
      • KAJM
        Options
        Thanks for your speedy response!

From everything I've read passive investing definitely makes sense for me, I don't really want to play the market.

In terms of pension, I have just moved jobs and get to choose where I invest my pension. Previously I was auto-enrolled into a Standard Life scheme.

A friend has suggested I should try a SIPP and look at tracker funds. Would anybody have any advice on what would be best?

Thanks again,

Kate
      • badger09
        badger09 Posts: 11,210 Forumite
        First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
        Options
        KAJM wrote: »
        Thanks for your speedy response!

From everything I've read passive investing definitely makes sense for me, I don't really want to play the market.

In terms of pension, I have just moved jobs and get to choose where I invest my pension. Previously I was auto-enrolled into a Standard Life scheme.

A friend has suggested I should try a SIPP and look at tracker funds. Would anybody have any advice on what would be best?

Thanks again,

Kate

The website to which I provided a link in my previous post covers that as well.

The starting point is knowing what investments will suit your risk profile and objectives. The next step is choosing which S&S ISA and SIPP provider suit a) the investments you want to hold and b) the way you want to invest.

Have a read, then come back with some more specific questions;)
      • xylophone
        xylophone Posts: 44,420 Forumite
        Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
        Options
        You will be a first time buyer?
        Have you looked at LISA?

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/lifetime-ISAs
      • MallyGirl
        MallyGirl Posts: 6,626 Senior Ambassador
        Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
        Options
        A SIPP is also just a wrapper to hold shares/funds etc. You could choose to hold Vanguard in a SIPP for example.
        There are a few comparison tools that will show the costs of different providers- some are fixed fee which tends to work better once the holding gets larger and some are percentage based which is usually better for smaller amounts.
        I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
        & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
        All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
      • Eco_Miser
        Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
        Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
        edited 2 December 2017 at 6:38PM
        Options
        Do you really want income (to live off), or would growth (becoming more valuable by rather more than inflation as time goes by) followed by income in the future when you retire early, be a more appropriate target?

I echo badger09's advice, plus check you have sufficient spare cash (or cheap credit) in addition to this £25k to cover seasonal expenditures and emergencies.

I also approve the other advice that got posted while I was typing.
        Eco Miser
        Saving money for well over half a century
      • BLB53
        BLB53 Posts: 1,583 Forumite
        Options
        Yep, VLS is a good choice so it's just a matter of selecting the most suitable level of equities and then choosing a platform to open your S&S ISA.

I Hold my VLS 60 as a one off lump sum with Halifax Sharedealing as the charges (after purchase) are just £12.50 p.a.

The Lifestrategy index fund is used as an example of a one-stop investing strategy in the 'DIY Simple Investing' book by Edwards so that may be worth a read to get a better idea of whether it may be a good option for you.
      This discussion has been closed.
      Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
      • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
      • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
      • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
      • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
      • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
      • 173.1K Life & Family
      • 247.9K Travel & Transport
      • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure