50th time lucky - voluntary euthanasia

:beer:

News just come through of another step up the ladder elsewhere in the world.

https://www.dignityindying.org.uk/latest/

This seemed like the most appropriate Board to share it on - as many of us start to take more of a personal interest in how things are in this respect once we reach this agegroup.

Comments

• robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Well I'm in this age group but plan to be around for some time thank you.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    robin58 wrote: »

Me too. 68 and planning another 30 years :beer:

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    robin58 wrote: »

Me too - but when the time comes, I want to be able to go when I'm ready and not be forced to stay alive.
  • SamsReturn
    SamsReturn Posts: 2,489 Forumite
    Australia is a long way to go, just to die.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,194 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    SamsReturn wrote: »

I think it can be supplied a bit nearer, Belgium maybe?

Not for me though, I'll give it a miss thanks, but I have already clocked up my 3 score & ten
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm really sorry but I have to share this....

I saw the word lucky & assumed this was a competition win!!
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have already reached my three score years & 10 and plan on reaching my four score years & 10 too. But one thing I know for certain is that I never want my future to include someone having to wipe my backside every day. I don't mind if I am sick for a week but for the rest of my life - I think not.

What worries me about this is how much it may suit someones convenience to persuade another person to go ahead, when it may not really be what THEY want. Some people wouldn't mind that dependancy, but that very dependancy may lead them to "complying" when this is suggested. That I am not comfortable with.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 1 December 2017 at 8:09AM
    SamsReturn wrote: »

Shoulda said - my point being allowing us our rights in this respect is slowly starting to spread across the globe. The more that we can see other places accepting that - then the closer it comes to Britain accepting that.

I've always held this view for myself.

These days I'm regularly getting my elderly ill mother telling me that she and my elderly ill father "wishes the NHS would let us just go....we've had enough" and I no longer say "Why don't you try this treatment? Why don't you try that treatment?" as they just don't want any more and I don't want them feeling like I'm pressurising them to stay against their will. I just keep saying "Whatever way you want things - then I'll go along with it".

Someone was only telling me yesterday they've just been able to release their pet dog from suffering - and complaining they still don't have that right for themselves if they choose it.
  • badmemory wrote: »

What worries me about this is how much it may suit someones convenience to persuade another person to go ahead, when it may not really be what THEY want. Some people wouldn't mind that dependancy, but that very dependancy may lead them to "complying" when this is suggested. That I am not comfortable with.

I don't think there is any "failsafe" - whichever way we go. Whether it be the current way of not accepting people have the right to say "enough is enough" or the future way of saying "Your choice - if/when you decide".

I know there are casualties the current way of Society not allowing this yet - and it seems there is a very high number of casualties looking at it this way.

I fear there might be a few casualties once we have this right.

I can't think of any appropriate precautions that can be taken to prevent emotional pressure by the unscrupulous (possibly the NHS trying to save itself money:cool:) or the greedy (someone that knows there is a Will they might benefit from). Obviously there must be whatever precautions we can think of inbuilt into giving us this right (when we finally have it:cool:) and there will still, doubtless, be a few casualties with the best will in the world.

But I would estimate there will be a lot fewer "casualties of the system" the future way than the absolutely loads of "casualties" there are the present way.

.....and, yes, the NHS is spending a lot of money on people that actually don't want money spent on them at all - as they personally have made the decision to go, but arent being allowed to have it.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    If someone really wants to go, it is not difficult and can be painless.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport