The Edcawber Principle

Comments

• Woohoo - power company have reduced our Direct Debit by £60/month for Jan-May 2018! It will all help to pay down the debts :)

That's great news but 'ouch' you must have been paying a bomb every month.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    That's great news but 'ouch' you must have been paying a bomb every month.

Not too bad actually - £73.50? We have solar panels, a lot of LED lightbulbs and very energy efficient appliances, so don't use much electricity.

Got a P@ypal payment for an old mobile phone that had been sitting in a drawer for years - £9 - will pay it towards the CC in the morning. It all adds up, slowly but surely.
  • edinburgher
    £9.14 paid off CC.

I am scunnered today. A boring windbag of a colleague who frequently misconstrues things and is a borderline fantasist has been invited to speak at a prestigious conference :(

Why do some people get ahead despite no apparent ability in their field?
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    £9.14 paid off CC.

I am scunnered today. A boring windbag of a colleague who frequently misconstrues things and is a borderline fantasist has been invited to speak at a prestigious conference :(

Why do some people get ahead despite no apparent ability in their field?

For so many reasons, you wouldn't believe..!

Make yourself scarce. If you know what you're talking about, he'll be all over you like a cheap suit to get you to do work for him, for it.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    It's my first time in MFW and, what do you know, fellow wrapping box [STRIKE]geeks[/STRIKE] aficionados!
    Bluefire wrote: »
    I have 3 wrapping paper boxes at this point. I need help.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Really-Useful-Box-77L-Trays/dp/B01EVA8UVU/ref=pd_sim_229_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7G8H9DK9SV538A1D3S3M

You're welcome :rotfl:

I'm sad to hear that whole foods is closing, but I never thought much of the quality of fruit and veg :(
  • edinburgher
    I know that I'm too new to be at risk, but having attended a previous conference with them where they spouted at length, I recognise any empty vessel when I hear it!

Frustrated to be in the same post as this person as I see the missed deadlines, obfuscation and blatant BS meetings that distant managers miss.

At the same time, all work of any interest is funneled to said person. I'm just impatient, but it's hard to prove yourself around glory hogs
  • freyasmum wrote: »
    It's my first time in MFW and, what do you know, fellow wrapping box [STRIKE]geeks[/STRIKE] aficionados!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Really-Useful-Box-77L-Trays/dp/B01EVA8UVU/ref=pd_sim_229_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7G8H9DK9SV538A1D3S3M

You're welcome :rotfl:

With trays?! *Faints*
    ZTD wrote: »
    For so many reasons, you wouldn't believe..!
    I know that I'm too new to be at risk, but having attended a previous conference with them where they spouted at length, I recognise any empty vessel when I hear it!

Gods above, tell me about it!

Where I work, it's all about Who you [STRIKE]arselick[/STRIKE] know, not What you know.

I could go off on a rant about this that makes our affection for wrapping paper boxes look tame (:mad::mad::mad:), but just don't let the glory hogs win, Ed, however loud they took their own horns! :T
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • edinburgher
    No active money news, but 2/3 of my DC pensions have now been moved to the new SIPP, allowing me to stick all the money in VLS100. Will probably switch to VLS80 once we have paid off our debts next year, the additional volatility/stress in the all equities fund probably isn't worth the additional returns and VLS 80 is still pretty blinking risky :eek:
  • edinburgher
    Boring budget (think the change to the tax free allowance probably works out as a <1% pay rise next April?)

I have started the process of moving my ISA to Vanguard. There isn't much in the account of my money, but DD has £4,000 or so and this will be getting topped up in the new year. So, boring as it is, I'll do it to save her another 0.1% per annum :D
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Boring budget (think the change to the tax free allowance probably works out as a <1% pay rise next April?)

But mostly a tax-cutting budget. When do we traditionally have a tax-cutting budget?

Just before an election - buying popularity and all that... :think:
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure