Can't get a refund

Not sure where to post it. I bought a plumbing item just over 30 days ago online but because my plumber couldn't come and determine that we din't need it after all, I couldn't return this item within the shop's 20 day return policy period. I purchased it with a visa debit card and there doesn't seem to be a refund protection policy (as there is one with the credit cards, for 90 days I believe).
Is there anything else I can do to get a refund? The shop won't allow me to return it.
It's a bit of an obscure item (thermostat for heating) and I am not sure anyone will buy it on ebay. But it was not inexpensive (around £150) and seems a waste to just throw it away.
Grateful for any suggestions.
Thanks, mt

Comments

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sorry, nothing you can do if the item is not defective.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Not a lot you can do as The Consumer Contracts Regulations states

'Your right to cancel an order for goods starts the moment you place your order and ends 14 days from the day you receive your goods. '

so you are stuck with it. so try and sell in on local facebook selling groups or ebay are you only options
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    moneytroll wrote: »
    Not sure where to post it. I bought a plumbing item just over 30 days ago online but because my plumber couldn't come and determine that we din't need it after all, I couldn't return this item within the shop's 20 day return policy period. I purchased it with a visa debit card and there doesn't seem to be a refund protection policy (as there is one with the credit cards, for 90 days I believe).
    Is there anything else I can do to get a refund? The shop won't allow me to return it.
    It's a bit of an obscure item (thermostat for heating) and I am not sure anyone will buy it on ebay. But it was not inexpensive (around £150) and seems a waste to just throw it away.
    Grateful for any suggestions.
    Thanks, mt
    Stick it on ebay.

If you price it right, it will sell.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I'll have it!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • moneytroll wrote: »
    I purchased it with a visa debit card and there doesn't seem to be a refund protection policy (as there is one with the credit cards, for 90 days I believe).

Just to clarify for future, there is a degree of protection with a debit card as well however it is not backed by legislation so it is not as strong as credit card protection.

Neither would apply for a 'change of mind' though.
  • moneytroll
    moneytroll Posts: 211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just to clarify for future, there is a degree of protection with a debit card as well however it is not backed by legislation so it is not as strong as credit card protection.

Neither would apply for a 'change of mind' though.

When you say "change of mind", how does it reconcile with the 90-day refund protection guarantee of a credit card? (for future info).

You mean you can only return the item if it's faulty etc? I thought that was different with credit card and the way it is phrased, seems that change of mind within 90 days is perfectly reasonable excuse.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just to add, if the retailer failed to provide you with the necessary information on your right to cancel under the CCRs (the conditions, time limits etc) then you may still be within the cancellation period.

Where the retailer complies with the above, you have 14 days starting the day after you receive the goods.

If the trader does not comply at the time but provides the information after the goods are delivered, you have 14 days starting the day after you receive the information.

If they do not comply at all, you have 12 months and 14 days in which to cancel.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 June 2017 at 2:57PM
    moneytroll wrote: »
    When you say "change of mind", how does it reconcile with the 90-day refund protection guarantee of a credit card? (for future info).

You mean you can only return the item if it's faulty etc? I thought that was different with credit card and the way it is phrased, seems that change of mind within 90 days is perfectly reasonable excuse.
    What is this '90-day refund protection guarantee' you speak of?

Is it perhaps something offered by your particular brand of credit card?

Can you please supply a link to any documentation on it?

Is this what you are thinking of?...
    Purchase protection

Some credit cards, particular ‘premium’ cards or those which levy an annual fee, provide purchase protection, which means when you buy something and it is stolen or lost within a set period of time, typically around 90 days, the credit card company will give you your money back.
    For example, if you’ve just used your card to buy a laptop but it is subsequently stolen, your card provider should reimburse you.
    This protection usually only kicks in if there is no other insurance is in place. So if your laptop is stolen from your home and you claim on your contents policy, you cannot also claim via your credit card.
    If so, you'll see it doesn't appear to offer 'change of mind' protection.
    Must be something else.
  • Section 75 of Consumer Credit Act allows you to make a claim against a credit provider and make them 'jointly and severally' liable but only if there has been a misrepresentation or a breach of contract

(eg goods are faulty, not as described, not fit for purpose)

In this case, if for example, you had rejected the product within your cooling off period and the trader still refused to refund you, you could make a S75 claim on that basis but for a general change of mind where either your cancellation rights have expired, or if you have none it wouldn't apply.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Have you actually tried to return it? If so, what did the seller say?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure