Deception by "The Drops of Help"

I just got a charity collection bag through my door. Everything about it looks genuine, collecting to "support the poor families, orphans and asylums" with a picture of an anxious child on the front.

On the back it says:
The Drops of Help Ltd
(Registered in England and Wales No 07121674)

That is clearly meant to make you think it is a registered charity, but I checked and it is not. That is just it's company number.

I think this an outrageous attempt at deception. I feel somebody ought to be regulating this but I'm not sure if anyone is. The Charity Commission would probably not get involved as it is not a charity. Any ideas?

Comments

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Weasels. All I can say.
  • Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    Does it mention the word "charity" on there anywhere?
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    No, everything is implied. Have a look at their web site and you will see what I mean http://www.tdoh.org.uk/
    They never use the word charity but use phrases like "not-for-profit organisation" instead. Meaningless of course as the owner can just pay themselves a big enough salary to make sure it never makes a profit.
  • Meepster
    Unfortunately, there isn't a lot you can do. They aren't doing anything legally wrong. Morally wrong maybe, but that can be said for a lot of businesses...

And whilst I can see you are upset by what they are doing, claiming they are using deception, in the title of your thread, is very misleading. They clearly state they are a limited company and from their webpage you can also see they are VAT registered...
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Meepster wrote: »
    Unfortunately, there isn't a lot you can do. They aren't doing anything legally wrong. Morally wrong maybe, but that can be said for a lot of businesses...

And whilst I can see you are upset by what they are doing, claiming they are using deception, in the title of your thread, is very misleading. They clearly state they are a limited company and from their webpage you can also see they are VAT registered...

I think it is deception in that it is implied that they are a charity when they are not.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 June 2011 at 9:02PM
    Reaper wrote: »
    No, everything is implied. Have a look at their web site and you will see what I mean http://www.tdoh.org.uk/
    They never use the word charity but use phrases like "not-for-profit organisation" instead. Meaningless of course as the owner can just pay themselves a big enough salary to make sure it never makes a profit.

As you say, they don't claim to be a charity ... so no wrong doing there :)

They do claim to be a non-profit making organisation ... and I see no evidence to suggest they are not. You'll need to get copies of their M&A if you wish to satisfy yourself they are. I suspect they are a non-profit making organisation as that is what they claim.

All a non-profit organisation means is that they cannot distribute their surplus (what non profit making organisations call their 'profit') as a dividend to their members - they have to use it as specified in their M&A.

Of course employees can expect to get paid, and they will be subject to PAYE rules as per any other employee.
    Have you seen how much some Chief Executives of charities are paid???

http://society.guardian.co.uk/salarysurvey/table/0,12406,1042677,00.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/7229874/Tony-Blairs-faith-charity-pays-six-figure-salaries-to-top-officials.html

I'm sorry, I don't see any evidence of wrong doing so far, but if you get any, please feel free to post :)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Meepster
    pgilc1 wrote: »
    I think it is deception in that it is implied that they are a charity when they are not.

Where is it implied though? I mean really?

Simple answer is they don't.

The even go as far as putting LTD after their company name, which IMPLIES they are a business.

If people can't tell the difference between this company and a charity, that's down to them inferring incorrectly...

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Meepster wrote: »
    Where is it implied though? I mean really?

Simple answer is they don't.

The even go as far as putting LTD after their company name, which IMPLIES they are a business.

If people can't tell the difference between this company and a charity, that's down to them inferring incorrectly...

We will agree to differ then.
  • Meepster
    pgilc1 wrote: »
    We will agree to differ then.

Well, if you can show me where they impy they are a charity, then maybe I'd agree with you...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure