PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Using up oranges

Comments

• anguk wrote:
    You could make some Microwave orange curd, just swap the lemons with oranges!

3oz butter
    8oz sugar
    3 eggs
    finely grated rind & juice of 2 lemons

Melt the butter in a 2 pint bowl on high for about 1 1/2 minutes. Beat together the sugar, eggs, lemon rind & juice then stir into the melted butter, mixing well. Cook on high for about 3 mins or until the mixture coats the back of a spoon (Stir briskly every 30 seconds as the mixture starts to thicken to keep it smooth). Pour into small warmed jars, cover and keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Makes about 1lb.

Just wanted to say that I have just made this and it's fab :D. The last time I made lemon curd it took about 45 mins on the hob to thicken, this time it only took 6 minutes in the microwave. I had a glut of oranges, searched for something to do with a few of them (they are only small so I used 3) and now have 2 jars, one for me and one for my Dad :).

Does anyone know if curd can be made with other fruits? My OH loves strawberrys, would it work :confused: ?
  • how about orange upside down cake?

or chop them up, pour yogurt on the top and eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner!!!
  • mossstar
    mossstar Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm lucky enough to have a wee (very wee!) citrus orchard here so i came up with some muffins for my boys' lunchboxes where you wizz up a whole orange (peel and all) in the processor and make really orangey, yummy muffins - they freeze really well - so i that's one use for a glut!!

I've also made orange icecream (YUM!) and jam (or marmalade.... whatever LOL)

Here's an orange cake recipe i just found that sounds similar:

What a smash! and so easy to make! Take one whole orange.....

1 whole orange 180g melted butter 3 eggs
    1 cup sugar 1.5 cups SR flour
    Icing 2.5 cups icing sugar 1 Tblspn melted butter

grated rind of 1 orange Marscapone cheese

Butter and lightly flour bundt tin and preheat the oven to 180_ C.

Place the whole orange in a food processor and process until well pureed. Add the remaining ingredients and process until well mixed. Place the mixture in the cake tin and bake 30 - 45 minutes until cooked. Turn out onto a cake cooler and allow to cool.

1 whole orange
    180g melted butter
    3 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    1.5 cups SR flour

Icing 2.5 cups icing sugar
    1 Tblspn melted butter
    grated rind of 1 orange
    Marscapone cheese

Butter and lightly flour cake tin and preheat the oven to 180_ C.

Place the whole orange in a food processor and process until well pureed. Add the remaining ingredients and process until well mixed. Place the mixture in the cake tin and bake 30 - 45 minutes until cooked. Turn out onto a cake cooler and allow to cool.

Icing

Mix the icing sugar with the butter, orange rind, and enough marscapone cheese to make a consistency that can be poured over the cooled cake and run slowly down the sides. Scatter additional strips of orange peel over the top, and serve. It won't last long!

*note - i make my muffins without icing for added healthiness!!

Steph x
  • mossstar
    mossstar Posts: 170 Forumite
    Does anyone know if curd can be made with other fruits? My OH loves strawberrys, would it work :confused: ?

I'd try a small amount - my ds2 LOVES passionfruit - so i make him passionfruit curd when we have lots!
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi, I bought these at the end of last week. They were on offer and I'm trying to eat more fruit. They're not sweet at all and not exactly a pleasure to eat just as normal fruit. I have 8 left and hate waste. Can anyone suggest what I could do with these.......apart from binning them?
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi unixgirl,

There are some good ideas on this older thread: Using up oranges I'll merge your thead with that one soon to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    If you have a blender, they are really good just peeled (and de-pipped, if there are any) and added to fruit smoothies.
  • HariboJunkie
    HariboJunkie Posts: 7,740 Forumite
    If you peel them and seperate into segments you can let them soak in syrup then eat them with rice pudding. Yum.
  • Got given lots of oranges yesterday. Anyone have any healthy recipees that I can use them for.

Thanks
    Jan Grocery challenge
    Budget £350 - Spent £64.45 to date
  • katmad99
    katmad99 Posts: 269 Forumite
    squeeze them into smoothie mixtures??
    Moneysavinghopeful :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing