PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi peeps :wave:

DH did the weekly shop last night after work, all i`ve managed to get out of him so far is that it cost around £31, i shall prise the reciept from his mitts later and update my siggy then.

We have an alarming amount of food in atm, i`ve just started a diet and i`ve never had so much fruit in the house :eek: it only just fits in the fridge. I need to make sure that i eat all of it and don`t just look at it when i open the fridge door :D

I think that i shall gradually run down the overflow freezer by feeding DH all the fattening stuff :D he eats loads and is like a rake so hopefully as i lose weight he will put some on. I wish that i had his metabolism as he constantly eats and always stays the same weight.

BBL to update siggy.

Have a great Sunday everyone.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • rachelww1
    rachelww1 Posts: 680 Forumite
    Second weekly shop of the month done this morning, £40.22 spent which included 3 small easter eggs for the kids. I am never going shopping in T$scos on a Sunday morning ever again. Got there at 10.10 and it was heaving. Think I'll stick to Friday nights.
    LBM Dec 10. Total unsecured debt £41176 :eek: Nov 12 Debt Free Thanks Mum x RIP x

2013 Savings £250
    2013 OP £3500
  • My mam came down this morning with 3 onions for me - she'd bought some for heslef without realising she alreday had some in - so that's one item crossed off tomorrow's shopping list, should save me a few pennies!

Have completely revised this week's meal plan to use up more stuff we already have in and buy less - will update tomorrow with the reult of how much I actually spend (budget is £50 p/w)
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
  • martafdz
    martafdz Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    I made the other day some pork cheeks that were really nice and really cheap! The packet of 4 (2 for each of us) came at about £1.50 or so. You need to cook them for quite a long time, I think I left them for 4h simmering in the sauce, but they came with a strong meaty taste and really soft texture. I think they might be great for slow cooking. I found 2 recipes online, I only did one but I will post both, times are on the hob not in SC:

Braised pork cheeks in red wine
    TIME: 4h and a half

*Ingredients
    - 4-6 pork cheeks
    - 1 onion, chopped
    - 1 carrot, sliced
    - 1 tomato
    - 1 leek, 1 celery stick (optional)
    - 1 clove of garlic
    - Thyme, rosemary, tarragon
    - 1 glass of red wine (150ml-200ml)
    - 1/2l stock (any)
    - 1 tbsp brown sugar

*Method
    1. Marinate the pork cheeks in the wine for 24h (optional), the longer the better.
    2. Drain the pork and keep the wine. Brown the pork in some oil. Remove and keep on the side.
    3. Saut!e the onion, garlic, tomato, leek, carrot and celery. Caramelize on full heat.
    4. Add the pork cheeks and the wine to the vegetables.
    5. Reduce the volume by half
    6. Add the stock, herbs and sugar.
    7. Braise for 3 to 4h on low heat
    8. Remove the cheeks and reduce the sauce until thick
    9. Pour sauce over cheeks and serve

Pork cheeks in cider
    TIME: 2h

* Ingredients:
    4-6 pork cheeks without fat
    1-2 onions, chopped
    Butter
    400ml dry cider
    3 sage Leaves

* Method
    1. Soft the onion with olive oil and butter.
    2. Brown the cheeks
    3. Add the cider and bring to the boil
    4. Preheat the oven at 160C
    5. Place in an oven dish and put it in the oven for 70 min. Baste often,
    6. Add the sage leaves and return to the oven for 20 min.
    7. Let it to rest for 10 min outside the oven
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • martafdz
    esmer, katenut, sunnyday, mothership thank you very much on the Slow cooker and Breadmaker advice!!! I can see it might save me a lot on electricity bills since all my appliances (hob, oven...) are on electricity and not gas. I need to think carefully on how many meals I think I would do a week with a SC. Can you do roast potatoes/chips there?

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • nat21luv
    nat21luv Posts: 3,434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Cashback Cashier
    Prices have shot up in Sainsburys, I was looking for butter not a few weeks ago and noticed their basics spread for 50p. Saw it again today for £1.20! Tesco it is for the time being whilst they have a price war on with asda!
    £20k in 2023 = £2718 £2023 in 2023 = £196.41 Grocery challenge £250= £195.80 **MONEY MAKES ME HAPPY**
  • martafdz
    edited 6 March 2011 at 3:46PM
    nat21luv wrote: »
    Prices have shot up in Sainsburys, I was looking for butter not a few weeks ago and noticed their basics spread for 50p. Saw it again today for £1.20! Tesco it is for the time being whilst they have a price war on with asda!

If you need to stock up, MrM has I can't believe it's not butter both normal and Light 500g at 62p.

Btw, roger, I forgot to mention it before but your challenge is amazing!! Good luck with that!! Can you "take borrowed" some tea/coffee from work, considering you have paid part of it? :D I got few supplies from samples too. I used to ask for any sample I could find and Twiggings and other herbal teas companies had every now and them some on their websites. Good way to try new flavours whilst saving pennies! :D

EDIT: Also in MrM:
    Dishwasher Finish All in One 42 tablest at £5 (12p each tablet)
    1Kg onions 49p
    Robinsons 1l 50p (max 6)
    Cheerios 600g (big one) £1.38 (max 3)
    Pepsi 8 pack £1.98

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • nat21luv
    nat21luv Posts: 3,434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 6 March 2011 at 3:52PM
    martafdz wrote: »
    If you need to stock up, MrM has I can't believe it's not butter both normal and Light 500g at 62p.

Thanks for that, I dont need any I just noticed how much of a difference it was from not a week ago and then I started to notice even more increased prices!

Martafdz-where did you buy pork cheeks from, butchers?
    £20k in 2023 = £2718 £2023 in 2023 = £196.41 Grocery challenge £250= £195.80 **MONEY MAKES ME HAPPY**
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Pork cheek recipes are in the index martafd :T
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Hopefully, I will get into a discipline of appreciating that I don't necessarily need to buy things, just because they are on offer etc.
    I think we could ALL benefit from adopting that particular policy.
    Not sure how - but I seemed to miss your post that incorporated the above quote about having a £0 budget for March, but wish you the best of luck with it :T

I also have a freezer (well two actually) bursting at the seams, and yet I've put aside an allowance from this months GC budget for meat - but in actual fact, have no room to buy any even if I do see a bargain!

I do actually need several store cupboard items though, including things like herbs & spices, soy sauce and so on, so think a re-think is in order :think: as to what I actually use this months "meat" budget money for, especially given that I have all the meat required for my menu plan up to and including the 26th, and probably enough after that until the end of the month too.....I would then have pretty much zilch left though - and the thought of that freaks me out!
    Also, buying as and when it's on offer means I seldom pay full price for any of my meat......it's not easy, is it? trying to work out what to do for the best :undecided

NSD here today - I needed one!
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport