Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Comments

• I realise that this is not the correct place to post the following question but I was unsure as to where would be?
    I wanted to ask if it is possible to reclaim charges that have been applied on a personal loan (My partners, taken out to purschase a car) or are these subject to exactly the same guidelines/rules as bank account charges reclaiming?
    She has recently incurred a number of charges due to being unable to make two payments.
    The letters she received actually state (Maybe slightly paraphrased but can post exact wording later).... You agreement includes the fact that you will pay us charges to cover out costs if you are unable to make a payment, we have charged you £25 to cover the costs incurred in sending you this letter....... The loan is with Bank of Scotland.

Dan
  • DeBilde
    DeBilde Posts: 87 Forumite
    Just had my 1st bit of good news as start of the reclaiming process. Just been into my local Barclays branch and asked for a list of all charges on my account for the last 6 years. The lady said ok and sent a request off. Should have them in 6 days and it did not cost a penny.
  • i.e. I wish to show the original claim plus interest at that time and then do a new claim with interest added from todays date by using the bank charges calculator again, is that the way I would be able to proceed as clearly the interest will be different and a lot more substantial after two years and can the template letter be ammended showing this?

Also as I am claiming purely on the legal points and not the 'human' points criteria is it OK to write a 'without prejudice' notification that I would be prepared to negotiate the amount to be refunded for a quick settlement (i.e. offer to exclude the claim for interest?)

I have to be honest and say I have no idea but I would re read the Bank charges guide and see if that includes the interest calculator. I can't offer any advice on negotiation either unfortunately.
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
  • kellyanne wrote: »
    I have been waiting for Martins new guide and I think I am just out of time now for the 8 week response time from my bank? Is it a complete loss now?????

Send a letter in a pre date it to within the timeframe.....postal service not that great these days ;)

• multidebt wrote: »
    Anyone have any advice or views on this please

Has the bank applied to have the case heard yet?

• Tino_2
    Tino_2 Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tino wrote: »
    I have a quick question regarding use of the financial hardship argument in relation to a claim I started last year with the bank.

Basically, I was claiming for charges from my RBS account, which I closed in early 2008. So as these are old charges, and my financial hardship is a recent situation (having been made redundant last year), can I still use the hardship argument?

Or does that only apply if you are claiming recent charges from your existing bank?

Many thanks,
    Tino

Natweststaffmember - You seem to be the person in the know on this thread :) - can you help me with my query above please?

Many thanks,
    Tino
    Tino
  • Tino wrote: »
    Natweststaffmember - You seem to be the person in the know on this thread :) - can you help me with my query above please?

Many thanks,
    Tino

The early indications from the FOS is that they will not look at a closed account on current financial hardship grounds because the account is not causing hardship today. However on my signature is the lending code(please read chapter 9). I would contact your creditors(those who you owe money to) and see what help they can give.
    If you can show the bank you have taken all steps to try to reduce outgoings and to make arrangements with creditors and it is still not working then I cannot see any reason why the bank would not make an offer on that basis but this would be with your current account provider rather than one that is closed.

• Tino_2
    Tino_2 Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ok, thanks for that answer. In that case, would financial hardship at the time of the charges be an argument.

What I mean is, in 2007, early 2008 I wasn't doing well on the financial front, which is when a lot of the charges I'm claiming from the RBS were applied. They were far from helpful then but I never went down the official route of claiming financial hardship. I ended up with an authorised overdraft of £2000 turning into £3800 due to charges.

Long story short they tried to take me to court so I was forced to pay it all.

Would that story (with more of the details) be something to use to try and get something back from the RBS now, or am I clutching at straws?

Many thanks,
    Tino
    Tino
  • danmc77 wrote: »
    I realise that this is not the correct place to post the following question but I was unsure as to where would be?
    I wanted to ask if it is possible to reclaim charges that have been applied on a personal loan (My partners, taken out to purschase a car) or are these subject to exactly the same guidelines/rules as bank account charges reclaiming?
    She has recently incurred a number of charges due to being unable to make two payments.
    The letters she received actually state (Maybe slightly paraphrased but can post exact wording later).... You agreement includes the fact that you will pay us charges to cover out costs if you are unable to make a payment, we have charged you £25 to cover the costs incurred in sending you this letter....... The loan is with Bank of Scotland.

Dan

Natweststaffmember, would you be able to answer the above question? You do seem to know the ins and outs of it all!!! :-)
  • Hi, great site, thanks Martin. I first claimed (3.336.00) back last year as I'm in financial hardship, (my partner of 28yrs has left me, my contract with the college I taught at has been cancelled due to ill health, and I'm struggling to try and pay my mortage and utility bills when all I receive is incapacity benefit of 89 pounds and a 2 pound "top-up" of income support).
    I received a letter back from Abbey last week saying they're very sorry but due to the recent outcome my claim has been rejected and as far as they're concerned the matter is now closed.
    I don't really know what to do next, as I've been refused - do I go straight to the ombusman or write to the Abbey stating my intentions?
    Thanks in advance for any advice. Kitty.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback