Disability and Dosh!

Comments

• Ok, I stand corrected. In my line of work/volunteering I have to consider disabilities. When I first looked at it I had the sense of "Disability (is) Dosh" and then reread and still did not really like the title. But anyway. . . All the best with this forum.

Thanks for your time.
  • bails
    bails Posts: 3,196 Forumite
    :rotfl:sorry to laugh and no offence intended OP, but I thought you'd misread it as 'Disability and Doss', as in 'to doss around doing nothing'! I'm with Beanie and others, there are more important things to worry about, and if it went to a public vote, then there's democracy at its best :D TBH, if I worried about what's in a name (noone can even agree on what my disability's called), I'd never recover/manage my condition :rotfl:All I care about is being as well as possible, and this board will certainly help us all in that :T
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016
    500/30,000
    1.67%
  • I understand what the OP means.....when you read the title you get the feeling that someone is telling you that being disabled means getting your hands on dosh.

We have Money Saving Old Style.....why couldnt we have something similar? Money Matters Disabled Style?

There is something a bit 'greedy' in the title as it is although I know that that isnt intentional.
  • ben500
    ben500 Posts: 23,192 Forumite
    Whilst I understand that the title has a nice ring to it, rolls off the tongue so to speak, I think the problem is the perception. For those not familiar with the purpose of the board it can look a little disconcerting and perhaps misleading.
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
  • hm71_2
    hm71_2 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think the problem is that the orginal suggestion was the other way round and so had amore humourous conitation. the title as is doesn't carry that same ring but I still like it. It has to cover a multitude of topics not all necessarily relating to money (dosh) and so thats why I like it.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

FEB challenge £128/£270 balance £142
    £2 saving club £140
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Don't have any problem with the headline name, but can we please have a sub heading?

Something along the lines of "The place to visit for moneysavers with disabilities or chronic/long-term illnesses and their carers".

I'm just concerned that there already seems to be an under-representation of those with chronic and long-term illnesses such as cancer and its important that this is a forum for everyone with all of these types of problem and their carers.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • maytaurus
    maytaurus Posts: 2,115 Forumite
    Disability money topics are not solely about claiming benefits /money :mad:
    The person with a disability and their family /carers have numerous situations in which their finances are affected
    This thread is for everyone concerned with all costs & expenses involved in being disabled or involved in any way with disability issues
    Income
    Expenditure
    Best deals for disability equipment and aids of all types,
    special dietary needs ,travel and all money saving information etc etc
    The list is endless really and hopefully the opportunity to place all advice,experience and helpful information in one place on MSE will be a great help to everyone affected by these issues
    RE;
    cantthinkofanickname
    Quote‘’In my line of work/volunteering I have to consider disabilities’’
    I am surprised then, that it would seem you are one of the people who see anything to do with help for those with disabilities/serious illness etc and automatically think MONEY/BENEFITS,
    when it is of course a far more complicated and demanding issue
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane[FONT=&quot] —[FONT=&quot] Marcus Aurelius[/FONT][/FONT]
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    There is nothing wrong with the name Disability & Dosh at all. I know that its a place that I can come to discuss my disability and maybe find out where I could possibly get a grant or whatever.

Mr Icantthink...I find your comments rather offensive, I am disabled and proud of it, as for claiming benefits well that is wrong, I cannot get DLA and there are a lot of us out there that can't and I am certainly not begrudging those that do. I am guessing that you don't have a disability and you are one of those employers who pay lip service to those with disabilities:mad:

If you don't like this board then fine, do us a favour and go onto one of the other boards, I have heard that DFW is good this time of year or any time of year for that matter!

You really have made my blood boil.
  • hm71_2
    hm71_2 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    vivatifosi wrote: »
    Don't have any problem with the headline name, but can we please have a sub heading?

Something along the lines of "The place to visit for moneysavers with disabilities or chronic/long-term illnesses and their carers".

I'm just concerned that there already seems to be an under-representation of those with chronic and long-term illnesses such as cancer and its important that this is a forum for everyone with all of these types of problem and their carers.

Hi vivatifosi, I was a little concerned about this bit- in fairness the board has only been running a couple of days and so it may take time for posters to get used to the board and post threads accordingly.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

FEB challenge £128/£270 balance £142
    £2 saving club £140
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    Hi, I agree with this. As a retired employment lawyer, when I see the word 'disabled'

I read 'someone with a disability or chronic longterm health condition that adversely affects that person's ability to carry out day to day tasks'...

But us lawyers are a strange lot, and I can see that 'normal' people probably draw a distinction, so a sub heading making this clearer - and also that the board is for carers and family members, would be useful.

Anyone know how to make a sub heading?
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure