Avoid being fleeced for mail order

Comments

• snaver
    snaver Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It's always someone else's fault, isn't it?
    Quite why someone can't look for information (without first making assumptions) is beyond me. Age is irrelevant.

Yes it is, prettywowers. Age, eyesight, dumbness etc etc are all irrelevant. Getting old is beyond me... if you are already there, you are lucky, and if you're not (in the words of my old Mother), 'DON'T!'
  • snaver
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Is it too late to go out and buy popcorn?

I think Camelot1971 has it right about making assumptions.
    It doesn't matter what age you are, people do make assumptions.
    They assume they can return an item bought instore simply because they've changed their mind.
    Wrong.
    Lots of other examples I could give.

And that is really where your Mother went wrong.
    Her age is irrelevant.

I find the response of the CEO's office of Cotton Traders quite shocking:

Although I'm well within the right demographic according to the OP:

I've never bought any item from Cotton Traders - either from a shop, online or charity shop - and doubt I ever will, but even if it was a shop I have bought from or would consider buying from, I'd cease to give them a penny of my money from now after this ^^^^ response. :(

I'm sure the OP's mother will thank me for my kind words. :cool:

I agree totally with everything you say, Pollycat.

Yes, my Mum is of an older generation, that was certainly used to physically returning items to shops without penalty (although she has seen TV adverts for other mail order companies, whose selling point is free returns, so this may be a little confusing). Her age may be irrelevant, but lack of transparency/immediately visible information for the upper end of the demographic I would question. While her age may seem irrelevant, her independence (more of someone 30 years younger) is certainly not.

The response of the CEO's office is truthful, if potentially uncaring/unkind/off putting.

I, like you, am within the same demographic (according to the same CEO's office). but I bought and returned one item to Cotton Traders (which was not as it was described in the catalogue). If memory serves, I had to pay the postage on this (far less than £2.95), using a non-reply paid label, which made me know exactly where I stood.

Your words are filled with sense and I'm sure my Mum will thank you for them when I relay them in the morning!
  • snaver
    Is it too late to go out and buy popcorn?

I think Camelot1971 has it right about making assumptions.
    It doesn't matter what age you are, people do make assumptions.
    They assume they can return an item bought instore simply because they've changed their mind.
    Wrong.
    Lots of other examples I could give.

And that is really where your Mother went wrong.
    Her age is irrelevant.

I find the response of the CEO's office of Cotton Traders quite shocking:

Although I'm well within the right demographic according to the OP:

I've never bought any item from Cotton Traders - either from a shop, online or charity shop - and doubt I ever will, but even if it was a shop I have bought from or would consider buying from, I'd cease to give them a penny of my money from now after this ^^^^ response. :(

I'm sure the OP's mother will thank me for my kind words. :cool:

Just to clarify one point you've made, though, this wasn't an item bought in store, they were items seen in a paper catalogue (or on-screen, for the more new fangled). Either way, the product could not be seen or felt quality-wise, as in a shop, and, as we all know when looking at a purchased Big Mac* against the packshot in the restaurant, photography can be deceiving!

* vegetarian and vegan options are available
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 21 July 2019 at 7:48AM
    snaver wrote: »
    I agree totally with everything you say, Pollycat.

Yes, my Mum is of an older generation, that was certainly used to physically returning items to shops without penalty (although she has seen TV adverts for other mail order companies, whose selling point is free returns, so this may be a little confusing).

But I don't see it as a company's fault because your Mum has seen an advert for one company with free returns and has just assumed that all companies are the same.
    And I don't see that as an assumption that only a 87 year old would make.
    Age is irrelevant when it comes to understanding consumer rights.
    The young doesn't have a monopoly on understanding consumer rights.
    Her age may be irrelevant, but lack of transparency/immediately visible information for the upper end of the demographic I would question. While her age may seem irrelevant, her independence (more of someone 30 years younger) is certainly not.
    You've missed my point.
    Age really is irrelevant when not understanding legal rights to return items bought through any means.

If the information is there - and you've admitted it is - just on the reverse of the page and in the catalogue itself - I would say that should be sufficient.
    You clearly disagree.
    That's life.
    I, like you, am within the same demographic (according to the same CEO's office). but I bought and returned one item to Cotton Traders (which was not as it was described in the catalogue). If memory serves, I had to pay the postage on this (far less than £2.95), using a non-reply paid label, which made me know exactly where I stood.

Your words are filled with sense and I'm sure my Mum will thank you for them when I relay them in the morning!
    Are you aware of your consumer rights regarding purchases?
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3073916
    Just to clarify one point you've made, though, this wasn't an item bought in store, they were items seen in a paper catalogue (or on-screen, for the more new fangled). Either way, the product could not be seen or felt quality-wise, as in a shop, and, as we all know when looking at a purchased Big Mac* against the packshot in the restaurant, photography can be deceiving!

* vegetarian and vegan options are available
    As I said, buying items instore was simply an example of where people - of all ages, not just the elderly - make assumptions about purchases.
    Purchases in store. Purchases online. People assume.

And of course, your rights to return vary depending how you purchased the items.

I'm afraid your 'Big Mac' comparison has gone straight over my head.
    I view McDs in the same way as I view Cotton Traders. :D

Just because M&S allow you to return an item because it doesn't match your shoes and handbag doesn't mean you should assume that every physical shop you buy from gives you the same over-and-above the legal requirement to returns.

I read and took the warning you gave as it was intended (although I'd never need to be warned).
    Some posters made valid points about your warning.
    I really didn't think there was any need for the sarcasm you displayed but I guess you did.
    Unfortunately, I think what followed has watered down your message and warning. :(
  • snaver
    But I don't see it as a company's fault because your Mum has seen an advert for one company with free returns and has just assumed that all companies are the same.
    And I don't see that as an assumption that only a 87 year old would make.
    Age is irrelevant when it comes to understanding consumer rights.
    The young doesn't have a monopoly on understanding consumer rights.

You've missed my point.
    Age really is irrelevant when not understanding legal rights to return items bought through any means.

If the information is there - and you've admitted it is - just on the reverse of the page and in the catalogue itself - I would say that should be sufficient.
    You clearly disagree.
    That's life.

Are you aware of your consumer rights regarding purchases?
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3073916

As I said, buying items instore was simply an example of where people - of all ages, not just the elderly - make assumptions about purchases.
    Purchases in store. Purchases online. People assume.

And of course, your rights to return vary depending how you purchased the items.

I'm afraid your 'Big Mac' comparison has gone straight over my head.
    I view McDs in the same way as I view Cotton Traders. :D

Just because M&S allow you to return an item because it doesn't match your shoes and handbag doesn't mean you should assume that every physical shop you buy from gives you the same over-and-above the legal requirement to returns.

I read and took the warning you gave as it was intended (although I'd never need to be warned).
    Some posters made valid points about your warning.
    I really didn't think there was any need for the sarcasm you displayed but I guess you did.
    Unfortunately, I think what followed has watered down your message and warning. :(

Thank you for your comments and thoughts.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    parkrunner wrote: »
    All I did was click on "contact us" surely that's the right thing to do? Certainly what I always do if I need to contact a company.

Didn't you actually click on "Help"?
  • tehone
    tehone Posts: 640 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    @snaver

You're whining about my comment being ageist (regarding not reading about the cost of returns), its worth then pointing out that historically, as a matter of fact one of the big gripes before the advent of online shopping and better understood consumer protection, it that is COST MONEY to return goods if you didn't like them. An older person is more likely therefore to assume that this would be the case
  • tehone
    tehone Posts: 640 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    @snaver

I continue to be in agreement about the sneakiness is making the 0844 number so prominent that it seems to be the obvious choice for sales and customer service (even though they do publish the correct information elsewhere in the Contact US section)
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    parkrunner wrote: »
    All I did was click on "contact us" surely that's the right thing to do? Certainly what I always do if I need to contact a company.
    hollydays wrote: »
    Didn't you actually click on "Help"?

No, scroll down the website and under customer service you will clearly see "contact us". Click on that and the numbers are revealed.

https://www.cottontraders.com/
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 July 2019 at 4:57PM
    But exactly to the left of "customer service "is the number clearly visible with the words " call us"-I would rather call than have livechat so it's quite correct to assume that is the number to call them on.

Why would anyone click on a customer service link when you can the number in front of you.Theres no right or wrong way, but there's a wrong way to treat your customers and this is it
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback