PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Comments

• C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I love those silicone rose mounds, VfM! (I would use them for soap making)

I had a little mooch around a couple of CS in a small neighbouring town yesterday, looking for materials for craft projects. In the reduced clothing bin I bought a teenager size padded waterproof jacket for 50p, intending to cut it up because the material looked interesting. However when I got it home and inspected it properly it was brand new and unworn, and was a well known designer label so I changed my mind and put it on an online auction site where it was snapped up almost immediately for a buy it now price of £25! But now I have to go and find some replacement material ....
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    silvasava wrote: »
    During a clear out I sent one of those glass jelly moulds to the CS along with a metal rabbit one and a copper coloured ring mould that had roses round it!
    The people of Hampshire are lucky, I'd have snapped all 3 up in a heartbeat.

Got niece with me this weekend, I think I'll treat her to a "rose" jelly.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,678 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!

Lovely glass jellymould there - can imagine its output undulating gently on a plate along with custard...
    I thought so too.
    Just bemused why VFM didn't buy it.

VfM4meplse wrote: »

Finally found the elusive jelly mould for 50p (junk store rather than a chaz so didn't buy it on this occasion)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I thought so too.
    Just bemused why VFM didn't buy it.
    I went in there for a different reason in the first place. I was looking for another bookcase and saw what size thought was a second hand furniture shop but it turned out to be a pawnbrokers. If I can find it for that price in a pawnbrokers, I can find it for the same in a chazzer....and I know where I'd prefer my cash to end up.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Pollycat
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I went in there for a different reason in the first place. I was looking for another bookcase and saw what size thought was a second hand furniture shop but it turned out to be a pawnbrokers. If I can find it for that price in a pawnbrokers, I can find it for the same in a chazzer....and I know where I'd prefer my cash to end up.

Yeah, well, me too.
    But when it's something that you've been looking for for a while (which you have) and at the price you wanted to pay (which it was), I think I'd have shrugged my shoulders and paid 50p.
    But maybe you have stronger principles than I have...
  • some bargains today fro my youngest DD. Topshop checked trousers £4.00, Pink Soda playsuit £4 and New Look top £1.50. She has loads of parties coming up so these will be ideal.
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £1000.00.00/£1000- End of Baby Step 3 (A work in progress)
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Awwwww...thought I'd found a real bargain today in the Sue Ryder shop! A camel coloured long scarf by Alpaca Camargo - Made in Peru, BNWT and label indicated 100% alpaca, priced at £6. Done a bit of research since and it appears it is only 30% alpaca and 70% summat synthetic :( Still feels wondrously soft and warm tho. I should have known better cos I went to Peru on holiday a couple of years ago and was warned then about the mislabelling of alpaca items. I was probably influenced by the freezing cold and snow that I trudged through on my way there. It's strange....all the scarves in the shop were priced at £6 despite some being wool or synthetic or fleece or wotever and some were new and some rather worn....odd!
  • Pollycat
    Mir! wrote: »
    Awwwww...thought I'd found a real bargain today in the Sue Ryder shop! A camel coloured long scarf by Alpaca Camargo - Made in Peru, BNWT and label indicated 100% alpaca, priced at £6. Done a bit of research since and it appears it is only 30% alpaca and 70% summat synthetic :( Still feels wondrously soft and warm tho. I should have known better cos I went to Peru on holiday a couple of years ago and was warned then about the mislabelling of alpaca items. I was probably influenced by the freezing cold and snow that I trudged through on my way there. It's strange....all the scarves in the shop were priced at £6 despite some being wool or synthetic or fleece or wotever and some were new and some rather worn....odd!
    It's the same in India. :(
    'Pashmina' is widely used to describe shawls but the wool comes from a particular kind of goat for true pashminas.

Bought a black long-line sleeveless top with a chiffon yoke. Only Mango but just what I've been looking for to go with the black & grey patterned leggings I have.

And a M&S short grey thick cardigan/jacket with black trim round the neckline, side edges, sleeves and bottom of the jacket.
    50% merino wool, 50% viscose.
    Lovely buttons.
    Will go great with above leggings.
    As it's wool, it's in the freezer.

£1.00 each from Air Ambulance.
    I didn't find the top myself, the manageress remembered I'd been looking for plain coloured long tops and whisked it off the rail as soon as I went into the shop.
    How's that for service? :T
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 12 February 2018 at 10:00PM
    :j:j:j I've got a new-to-me bicycle bell for £1 this afternoon in a chazzer. Woop-woop!

It's not nearly as lovely as the large, domed plain black bell, with the wonderfully plangent tone, which I bought new last autumn for £12.99. Although it does have the advantage of being Here and the black beauty is Elsewhere with the stolen pushbike - I reckon the couple of weeks' worth of ownership added up to £2-per-ding.:rotfl:

Never mind, I shall be able to ding-a-ling (courteously) along the cycle path to avoid startling pedestrians.:D

ETA; Wanna laff? Just after I posted this, a pal dropped in on me for a cuppa and I was brandishing my new bell. She suggested I put it on the bike right now (bike is being kept indoors) but I CBA to rootle under the bed for the toolkit and jokingly asked if she had a Phillips screwdriver to hand? Bearing in mind this is a respectable woman on her way back from a responsible job with a FTSE 100 company.......... so she opens her work bag and pulls out a Phillips screwdriver (correct size for the job, too). Gosh, we laffed. ;)
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • GQ, you shouldn't underestimate the respectable responsible ones!
    My present, sadly acting, boss is a pillar of rectitude but when faced with a footrest screwed onto one position for shipping responded to a trying-not-to-sound-piteous email by emerging with His Phillips screwdriver minutes later! (I was ashamed, my workbag usually has All Manner of handy stuff but the combitool was in The Other Bag. As a scout leader I should surrender my woggle.)

Neither of us have a clue how to configure a foot rest so he slackened the pressure so the whole thing tilted cooperatively & when the official chair is configured we will be taking notes, and grinning about the stashed Phillips.

And (ye gods where Have 19 years gone?!) some time ago, my nappy bag carried long slender screwdrivers that I could greet children driving mothers & staff dippy with "light & sound" toys by admiring them & removing the batteries... Those, the WD40, a bottle of bubble mixture & a pair of socks (which could become chewtoys, cuddly animals, puppets etc) got us through an awful lot of waiting rooms. I never could see why the nappy bag needed to be big enough to accommodate the baby, and his elder brother, until I had said baby. It's no bug out bag but the small persons sense of TEOTWI-right-the-heck-now-Unless was pretty acute.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure