PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Comments

• Hi
    Many thanks for the ideas on how to get rid of the ivy. I will search in the garage and see what I have got, then probably a trip to town to see what the shops have got. It will not get the better of me !
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Afternoon all
    Hope everyone is well
    Sorry not posted for a while.

Caught up on my mending pile and have managed to keep up ypto date on it.
    Adjusted a dress for dd1 by adding a 'Modesty panel' it was a halter dress that was exceedingly plunging so she wore a vest top under it but wanted to wear it to a posh wedding. It looked too low with nothing under but the vest spoiled the backless halter look. It now has a V of fabric added at the front so is much more wearable.
    I'm currently puttting a crochet edging round a blanket I've knitted for a friends expected baby I should get that finished this evening.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • CAZBEAR
    CAZBEAR Posts: 554 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    Good evening to everyone...
    I made do with a jar of seafood sauce i'd won in a raffle instead of tartare as we'd run out when we had scampi. We'd never had it before and it's lovely !! Dd will be having it on her pasta and tuna salad all this week i think ! Also dd and dh made do with frozen roasties while i had the last of the boulanger potatoes from the freezer so that saved time cooking the last night (these were 2 seperate meals btw!)
    mimimised 2 bags of parsnips into yummy soup with a bit of a chilli kick as well.

Minimised the cupboard under the sink muddle and found lots of cleaning stuff that was buried and i'd bought again, so that will be a bit of a saving.

Going to try and mend dd's favourite gloves in front of tv.

Hope all are well
    Best headline ever on local paper??
    "Weight loss group doubles in size"
  • pandamonium
    pandamonium Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 March 2017 at 10:01PM
    Thank you, Rainbow Hippie, for the good wishes re the storage unit of doom. Pleased to report it is now empty :j. It actually cost me around £500 to store a load of c@rp. Possibly the worst offender in the haul of shame (see what I did there :)) was the plastic box of wires. I actually have no idea what most of them were for.
    Minimising is the way forward. If I can't be a good example at least I can be a horrible warning.
    Minimising is now continuing at a pace.
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hope everyone has had a good weekend :)

Was working both days and both have been NSDs. Came home yesterday to find OH and his friend working on the garden :) so some progress there. His friend works as a gardener so at least someone knows what they are doing ;) they've sketched out a plan so will trying to source everything as cheaply as possible.

Made veggie stirfry last night for tea using up various bottom of the fridge veggies. Nice easy tea tonight of ham, eggs and hm chips. Meal plan done for next week, currently got chicken marinating in the fridge for tomorrow which we'll have with salad and hm wedges.

Meant to minimise the ironing pile tonight but instead have sat on the sofa with a book :D it can wait until tomorrow night.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10542.72/£15000 (70.3% saved). Emergency fund - £1402.24/£1500 (93.5% saved).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    CAZBEAR wrote: »
    I made do with a jar of seafood sauce i'd won in a raffle instead of tartar as we'd run out when we had scampi. We'd never had it before and it's lovely !! Dd will be having it on her pasta and tuna salad all this week i think !
    minimised 2 bags of parsnips into yummy soup with a bit of a chilli kick as well.

Excellent minimising there I think, I managed to use up all of the hollandaise sauce that I had bought a few weeks ago for DGS and his wife when they came to brunch.Its not something I would normally buy, and I didn't want it hanging around the fridge .

I think sauce is sauce, and if you like it on one thing then try it on another as the bottles do accumulate in the fridge don't they. I had about 5 different flavoured mayo's in the fridge and have managed to get them down to three at the moment its a 'work in progress' :):):) I think. I eat a lot of salad stuff so I will eventually get it down to one bottle .Strangely enough I dislike brown sauce and always have but a good dollop of chilli sauce is gorgeous especially on even bangers and mash :):):)

Started a new charity blanket last night when I got back from DDs.
    making do with last nights left overs from Dds delicious dinner for my dinner tonight and HM leek and potato soup that I mad on Saturday for my lunch today so NSD today :):)

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Making do / minimising: a couple of years ago I bought a loose leafed fairtrade ecofriendly first flush darjeeling, and I don't like it as a darjeeling, but it tastes fine if I drink it as English breakfast tea, so that's what I do. I'd prefer the darjeeling, but after several attempts with different temperatures and amounts of water, no luck.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • CAZBEAR
    CAZBEAR Posts: 554 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    Just a quick post, but feeling very pleased with myself....bought a barette (hair slide) as my hair is a bit unruly and 2 different lengths as i'm growing it and i'm a bit old for a pony tail, so thought it would be a bit more suitable for a middle aged woman:eek:(don't know when that happened...i still feel 18 !!)
    anyway the barette was reduced to 25p as it was chipped, but it is a shiny black one so...put a spot of dd's black nail varnish on it .... and you can't see the mark at all now !! :j

Just a small thing but it made me happy :)
    Best headline ever on local paper??
    "Weight loss group doubles in size"
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    This last week I finally got around to mending the rugby shirt.
    Its a mock rugby shirt really, sort of in the style but you wouldn't actually play in it . Anyway, following my plan, I sewed a welt from a very worn out jumper to the bottom, after first unpicking the hem. Then I cut about 2 inches off the sleeves and sewed the jumper's cuffs there.
    success. The shirt is now plenty long enough instead of having to be constantly pulled down or tucked in and the sleeves no long come half way down my hands.
    I have been getting the veg garden sorted too and have been using one of the previously mended camping chairs for taking 5 minute rests. The arm of the chair is broken but mneh, its only for garden use and I'll most likely mend it when I get a rainy day.
    Have also been minimising freezer grub. Some of the things in there are a mystery as I never write on them when I put them in but so far no nasty surprises. Curry powder is an excellent saving grace when you get various savouries out and cant tell what they are apart from they are not fish or fruit hehe
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    CAZBEAR brilliant that's a great idea and seeing how to recycle something as small as even a barrette is exactly what MMM is all about Its not just the big things ,but the small things that can make such a difference to one's outlook on life
    I get as much of a kick out of finding a new home or use for something than buying it new, perhaps even more so as recycling stuff was how I was brought up.Nothing was wasted back in the 1940s-50s as things were just so hard to find new anyway I bet if you asked anyone over the age of say 60 they have at least a drawer in their kitchen with odds and ends in and a jam jar with nuts,bolts and screws and probably a decent button box as well. I still have buttons in my button box in the cupboard that came from my childrens coats and cardi's and my children are 47 & 49 :):):). I have a wooden ex-toy box of my childrens that holds my wool stash and left over bits and tail ends of balls go into a cloth pull-stringed bag and when there is enough I knit a multi coloured charity blanket from all the different colours.
    I knit for a charity anyway and make multi-squared blankets for The Linus Trust so even the tail ends get used up eventually :0
    All my friends and family know that I get very cross if stuff goes to the tip as I can usually find someone or something to recycle it to.I like making do with as much as I can whether its food and goods I will always try to find another use for it :):):)and mending is second nature.My DGS have all got recycled ,repainted furniture in their bedrooms which has save my DD a fortune (She has a large family)
    I am at the moment minimising my food cupboards in a Love Food Hate Waste campaign for Lent and its surprising what you can make if you dig around the packets and tins in the cupboards :):):)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure